1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ SPARTACUS / MOD OF THE ARENA

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by abbas-it, 25 Dec 2017.

1. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,long time no see.
    [​IMG]

Its time for a few new threads and posts from my side.
    Am really sorry for the silence, but i have had a really turbulent 1.5 years.
    We have moved from Schwabach in Bavaria to Berlin and have anew job, new flat and a new workshop.
    I havent really had access to internet properly, just on and off now and then.
    But that all doesnt mean I didnt mod anything of course. Actually its quite the contrary.
    Firstly, thats the reason I moved to berlin.
    After years and years of modding I have finally made it big in the modding scene.
    I am working since May 2017 as a the Custom Designer, Casemodder, Product Manager and Inventor at CASEKING BERLIN. I have my workshop there and make serial as well as custom cases.
    I now have a flat too and have my work area there too.
    Inspite of all the being busy over the last 18 months, I still managed to mod a lot and have some worklogs which I would like to share with you.
    This one is actually being built now, has its first cuts and is my case for the
    Thermaltake Modding Fighting Championship 2017-18.
    As you may know, its a ten country buildoff against eachother. I am british but in for germany of course. because I won 2nd place in 2016 for Germany.
    This is going to be a challenge because once again I am trying my best to change an ultra moddern COREP90 case into a nostalgic theme.

SPARTACUS MOD OF THE ARENA will have many elements from the Spartacus legend, the film, the series and all we know of that era and the man behind the legend.
    All about slavery, the romans, their weapons and armor as well as the look, materials like wood, iron and leather as well as the overall aura of that era and period, being 70 BC.
    Thats where I want to take this design.
    It will have a real Gladius, shackles, Gadiator armor, helmets, emblems, flags gaunlets and what not and to literally top it off, it will be decked with segments of a Gladiators ARENA.
    I want it to be an ornament in SPARTACUS ROMAN 70BC style. lets see where it goes.
    here goes....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so, the first thing i am doing is modifying a NZXT deco sowrd into a real gladius, so its choppy chop time
    have cut of the grip and will now make the guard and grip in my style required.

gladiatirs didnt usually have the best armor unless they were in a big arena, they usually trained and practiced with wooden swords called a rudis

if a gladiator was granted his freedom through success, then he would have been awarded something like this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I actually just need the blade itself, its just like a real gladius.

time for hilting it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and that made the gladius, now it has to be glorified in gladiatorial looks.... :)
    [​IMG]
    something like these examples
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i engraved the house of BATIATUS into the hilt and grip, BATIATUS was the slave owner hwo held gladiator school called the LUDUS in CAPUA,
    together with the brushing of shades and airbrush it looks pretty good i would say.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and that completes the galdius making.
    the gladius will be acentere focal point of the case because it will even have a function, without which the case wouldnt even work., wink wink.. wait n see
    mpre to come..

[​IMG]
    more to come

Last edited: 25 Dec 2017
  2. abbas-it

Hi guys, and here is some more of what I have already done on
    SPARTACUS, MOD OF THE ARENA
    i started to build the base parapet upon which i want the whole core p90 to stand
    it wil anclose the animal lift which was used to elevate animals and gladiators into the arena. this will however have a totally different purpose fitting its being a casemod of course.
    Hi guys, and here is some more of what I have already done on
    SPARTACUS, MOD OF THE ARENA
    i started to build the base parapet upon which i want the whole core p90 to stand
    it wil anclose the animal lift which was used to elevate animals and gladiators into the arena. this will however have a totally different purpose fitting its being a casemod of course.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this will be hollow to hold wires and pipes etc..
    [​IMG]
    i saw the lion heads on spratcus`s gladiator armor and decided to integrate them too. i litterally wnet roung looking at door knobs and knockers and found this one. i am using it as a negative for making these sub negatives. sub neg, because i will be vacuuming acrlic plates ontp them, when they are dry.

these are basically made by covering the head, waiting till its dry and using the mold as another mold for furth molding twice. sperated with alayer of silicon spray.

they will look great when finished. wait n see. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are the rest of the progressional pics of today.

i made the base and a led holding turret upon which the main piller stands.

i also started the armor plates with the spartacus armor snakes, the main snake form is done, must be formed to be more detailed of course.

more to come

here you can see the cobras then the main frame sof them i made, of course adapted to the bottom corners of the glass windows
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    did some more base work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Dec 2017
  3. abbas-it

[​IMG]
    Hi guys. here is a little update again.

i am using sawed in half ans sanded lemello wedges to make some of the armor scales.

when set in scene, sanded off and with the paintjob they will look great later. they will still have some studs and other elements too of course
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Dec 2017
  4. abbas-it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its still pretty basic stuff, making the basic form to accomodate the funktions, hardware and all the proper deco and elements of this very extreme theme agin.

so, i finished the scalle sticking and sanded it off a wee bit. must still be further carried on. but i started working on the top segmented arena.

as i already mentioned, this mod is all about the whole spartacus era, the world he was dooemd to live in, what happened to him, who made it happen etc..

so we need a lot of roman elements too, als some greek because SPARTACUS was THRACIAN, which was a greek province as the legend goes.

anway, i am now making an arena and many other elements which will be all these cultural styles mixed together. but all from that epoche and era.

we bear in mind, this is prechristianity, so no crosses or such elements in the armor, its all about jupiter, pluto and other mythical gods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    so while they are dry hardening i carried onm to make the top arena segment base.

the arena floors looked like dirt but were actually sand on wooden platforms. because the romans had a complex corridor, tunnel and lift system underneath.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i started to make the top ribcage too where wires and pipes can flow through.
    [​IMG]
    i made a jog for getting equally spaced curves onto the flooring
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all the grooevs and planking and walle brick looks will be handmade just by eyeballing the lines i draw onto the wood. all because i wat it to look as uneven and untrue as it would havein thouse days while being as true and exact as those great roman engineers and architects could muster :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i made the inner arena wall
    [​IMG]
    and here are some more pics of the back arches, not finished yet

i also made rge first gates on top where the gladiators would enter the arena. they will also have functions,,,,yet to be revealed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the gladiator gates can be hinged or rather hooked on n off for painting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. abbas-it

the next step was to make the arena colosseum type of arches at the back which will later on ventilate and serve as air escapes for the built in fans
    i found these beech tree cieleing liners tsrips which i cut parts out of for large and smaller arches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after cutting out the main arches i would stick the arches and pillars on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i stuck on some more ledge looking liners which would give it more profile after painting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i love delving into depp detail. so here is alittle more.

i did some arches today and roughly measured the shade pillers.

but mainly it was all about the sides of the main tribune deck and the arches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    making more little arches for the lower row.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. abbas-it

the next step was to cover and integrate the sides or ends of the arena segment
    and make the arena shade construction parts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. abbas-it

8. abbas-it

and here are some pics of the shade making and bricking the wall look
    [​IMG]
    today i dremeled in the stone n brick look and started making the shade holders.

i ran into the same problem that the romans probably did because of the abgle towards the front, but forund a way to measure each one seperately.

here are the pics of todays modding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as i was making the shade holders i realised that getting the angled in towards the centre was going to be a task with which i am sure the romans even fought with. so i had to change plans a bit and saw the holing posts and twist n then glue them to the right angle.
    if you know what i mean..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i drilled holes for the horizontal beams to pivot on
    [​IMG]
    here you can see how i adjusted the angles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. arduum

arduum Minimodder

abbas = subbed :rock:

10. kim

kim hardware addict

Yeah...:wallbash: MR Abbas... your imagination, your infinite skills and insane accuracy always blows up my mind...:jawdrop:, this Spartacus is once again a stunning build...

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

"An Abbas log with 9 posts? Crap! He's probably already done." :lol: Looking pretty cool so far. I like how you chopped that absurd-looking wall-hanger and made it look like a proper sword. The little coliseum is killer. :D

12. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Modding Artisan.

13. abbas-it

thanks guys,,, i just shifted flat and of course i wrote all the description of what should be where and which box etc.. and of course everything i need is always in the wrong box which is of course at the bottom of every stack.
    :)
    but anway, i am in now and ready for a new update tomorrow
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. abbas-it

Hi guys, sorry for the delay but here is the promised update, shifting flats and fixing things up took so much time.
    anyway... i worked on the lion shields and the roman standarte,
    i need some eycatchers related to rome, arenas colosseum and the lore, world, legends, look etc.. the lions head can be found on various armor plates and belts and so forth.
    i borrowed a door knob which was pressed into clay to make this negative then positive form as you saw in a previous update.
    here are some developments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

the next thing i set out to make was the ROMAN LEADING STAFF
    the ROMAN STANDARD or STANDARTE. they were the eagle on a pole figure which were foremost when leading the army into battle. I assume that Crassus also had one, who is the Praetor who eventually brought Spartacus down, so I needed them too.

The paintjob isnt quite finished yet, but the main form is made. i cut up melted to the right shape and painted some plastic eagles. made a perch and they will also have the four letters SPQR standing for Senatus Populusque Romanus, or in plain english, THE SENATE AND FOLK OF ROME.

now some pics of its evolution.. :) more to come

[​IMG]
    these plastic eagles wings were spred out and i wanted a more sky diver look to i hot air heated them and bent them into for along with turning one of the heads too to make two opposoite looking ones one looking right and the other looking left. i cut of the parts between the claws i didnt want on the staff.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i painted them black first to get paint in all the nooky and crannies and indentationes before gold en dry brushing., made them look older. i will do the smae with the lion heads too. looks more battleworthy and weathered..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    i stuck in the flag holding horizontal staffs.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so thats it for now,,,,more to come....

15. griso

griso What's a Dremel?

Beautiful artwork.

16. abbas-it

thanks griso.
    hi guys, so after making the roman standards staffs i wanted to get down to something more spartacussy or thracian slave galdiatorial again.i decided to work on the ey catcher will will be in the front.

i googled aroung and looked at all the differnet kind of helmets and decided to make my own design. seeing as this mod is like all other mods i make for competitions all 100 handmade i didnt take the 3d printer or papakura or somethiung, i made it myself.

i used a polystyrene ball as the base of the skull shell and went on from there with hot glue, cardboard, foam, and worbla. just looking at the pictures i found in internet.

this helmet is a mix of thracian, the sparatcus series helmets and the most probable designs you would find when googling for galdiator helmets.

i made it so that when painted it looks as if its had afew battles and been beaten around and passed on from each fallen gladiator to the next and having to be patched up every time.

next post of it will be the final pain tshading job etc..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then it was acetone time, it worked better than i thought it would
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i ended up with this little soft lump of glibber slime
    i insulted it but it didnt move like in ghost busters :)[​IMG]

i got the first primer on and will now wait a bit

but that helped my to show the patchwork helmet rem,paired look i am aiming for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

more to come..

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

YASSSSSSS the king is back :D

18. abbas-it

hey vault, yes, it was time i started a log again.
    here are some first coats on the helmet[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. abbas-it

Hi guys, its time i unpacked some of the hardware delivered so far. here are the first pics.

I havent checked everything yet, CPU is still to come, but most of the stuff is here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. kim

kim hardware addict

mmm yummy bunch of goodies...:grin: