1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics loads of GTX 1060's for £40? scam? [1080's @ £70

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Otis1337, 24 Jan 2018.

1. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I went for a GTX1060 at just over £40, it was worth having a go. I called my work mate over at lunch time to read the ad on my work pc. Other than a comment of what is it, and I replied "Just a card that makes things look pretty". To his reply "Isn't beer cheaper". I purchased it on my phone so unfortunately the payment went straight through:blah:

2. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Wrong answers to security questions is usually the safest way, or just use it as an extra passwords. Anything now with 2 step verification using authentication mobile apps and SMS. The more walls you can build the better.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Go on to your PayPal and disputed the charge. You will get your money back. Mine also paid instantly, but when I logged into PayPal, I could cancel the payment from there. Took all of five seconds.

MLyons likes this.
  4. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Mine just says Contact the seller and then go to the ebay resolution centre. I don't know if it's because my paypal balance was zero and being linked to another account. I've already contacted my bank and they can see a pending transaction, but told me to contact paypal.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Never EVER go with a deal that's clearly too good to be true.

Let's assume it was a genuine nice person selling off GPUs for crazy cheap. If you get to see the sale and it's been up for more than five seconds, why do you think they have any left by now? Maybe because 99% of people heard of the sale and thought SCAM!

How about it being a genuine mistake. So now you want to take advantage of them and make them lose a shed-load so you can get cheap gear? That's a bit sh*tty really isn't it. Someone has a bad day, makes a mistake and you fleece them for it. Nice.

How about you know it's a scam but are willing to take a punt in case you can get something out of it. You know you won't lose out, or you don't understand the real risks, and you believe that that evil corporation PayPal can afford to pick up the tab if things go South. Isn't exploiting a rich corporation still exploitation through? Again, it's a bit sh*tty and not a nice way to live. The world's a crap place, surely we make it better by not being crap ourselves?

Life lessons:

1. Don't be sh*tty to others.
    2. Don't assume that taking a punt on a scam is risk free
    3. Bargains exist, but any offer that's 'too good to be true' is... yep you're right, it's too good to be true.

Really surprised me reading so many people willing to enter into such scam sales, but then again we've had trump & brexit. People want to believe things even when the signs are all there.

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

1. I can think of exceptions to this rule.
    2. Ehh, I've got sod all to steal.
    3. The fact I was offered the apprenticeship here as my very first job with no experience and it's a dream job has changed my thought on this phrasing but generally yes.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

How's the weather up there on that really tall horse.
    I disagree. If the offer is there I'm going to take it. Otherwise someone else will and imo, I'm more deserving

I said it could a scam from the start, it was always a gamble. Bargins like do happen, just once in a blue moon and I was over due some good luck.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Booger arl mooneh, but I'm that 'ard me.

Old Harry Enfield character.

Jokes aside I've got bugger all. I only have material crap because I have no friends, no social life and never go out anywhere. All my own choice though.

No kids either, again my choice. I couldn't face bringing some one into the world with even the remote chance of them being 10% as messed up as I am.

9. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

You've got to be in it to win it. Would have been a nice GT610 replacement.

Otis1337 likes this.
  10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Loads of these on eBay.

Account with no feedback for 6 months. check.

Also selling ipads and iphones check

Not even worth the effort.