1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Home network overhaul

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davie107, 26 Jan 2018.

1. davie107

davie107 Linux or Windows???

Afternoon all,

Looking for any advice from people as to what hardware to choose to improve my home network. Mainly wanting to improve the wifi and make the most of my mediocre internet.

Currently I have bt infinity and due to being in the sticks only recieve 20mbs. I have put up with the home hub but I am about ready to throw it out of the window.

Most of my devices currently operate over wifi and are mainly located at either end of the house either in the living room or upstairs in the bedroom. However the downside to this is the solid concrete internal walls which aren't conducive to good wifi coverage.

My initial thought was to use an open reach modem and buy a router, and a couple of wired access points and possibly a switch to have access points upstairs and downstairs however dont really have a clue where to start. I want to have one ssid and will also look to add a nas no store media files for tvs and pcs at a later date.

I have looked at Tp link access points which eap 245 or 225 which seem well priced however wondered if anyone had an experience of them?

I then wanted to have a switch upstairs for my pc, tv and ps4 with an additional access point for phones and laptops. However wondered if this was the best way to connect things together.

Sorry for rambling on please let me know if any other info is needed thanks in advance

Dave

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Either switch to Openreach modem or just disable Wi-fi on your bt hub. Then grab a pair of HomePlug AV units at least 1200mbps with passthru power and a pair of Mikrotik hAP AC(not the lite version).

These have a 5 port gig switch built in. They can be confirgured as a full dual AP router or as a dual AP accesspoint with switch.

You can locate one near the bits you cable in and the other somewhere near a power socket at the other end of the house.

Using the CAPSMAN feature on them you can slave the WiFi networks together so it supports enterprise class roaming around your house.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2018
    davie107 likes this.
  3. davie107

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

5. davie107

Perfect, ill let you know how it all goes

Zoon likes this.