1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Can some one please invent this? thx m8 gr8 8 out of 8 m8 I r8.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vault-Tec, 22 Jan 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Right I have had this idea for what seems like forever. However, I do not have the money to make it a reality. And even if I did I am not a programmer. And it would need programming and hardware..

OK, so you can basically buy things like these.

[​IMG]

I have been experimenting with them for quite a while now. I've noticed just how easily they can machine a piece of acrylic, too.

Now what I want to see is a basic CNC machine. Just a frame. You would fix your Dremel into it, then this thing could basically go up and down and left and right to create shapes. IE - you could have a CNC machine able to cut woods and plastics for not a lot of coin. Maybe £200 if that in parts. In fact no, it wouldn't even need to go up and down that part could be done manually (IE pushing the bit into the material to get it started).

The bed would need to be MDF or something that isn't going to kill the Dremel bit when it reaches through the acrylic. Something you would need to replace quite frequently of course, but the cost of the machine would be so low that it wouldn't matter. IE - a basic metal frame with a motor and say, a Raspberry Pi running it (that could also be left as a "buy separately" part.

I don't for the life of me understand why no one has made such a device. Especially when you see the ludicrous price of any CNC machine.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So something like this

3. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I'll dump a bunch of links later...currently my internet speed is 64Kbps

The answer is yes, and there are numerous options.

4. Vault-Tec

Yup just like that only you bolt your Dremel into it ! the price is right too :D

5. Vault-Tec

6. RedFlames

The one i linked to you bolt your dremel to...or can...

Plus if you're building the fecker from scratch anyway... modifying the design to acommodate a dremel probably isn't much of a stretch...

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

If you want super cheap then google "Mostly Printed CNC"
    If you need printed parts you're covering P&P

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

9. RedFlames

might want to bitly that link... swear filter went and borked it...

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Cheapest 3D printers (e.g. A8) are only £150 or so, so you could probably make a mill for as little as £250, assuming the printer is solid enough for it.

This guy has done one with an A8.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's also quite common to do laser engravers, might be nice if someone made a kit for a printer which incorporated all three, maybe with some sort of quick-change functionality (currently it seems like it would take a good hour to swap over from one to the other).

Given enough precision, you could also do some PCB fabrication on these, would be the ultimate all-in-one hacker/modder tool

12. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Searching eBay for CNC kit brings up quite a few kits mainly from China/Hong Kong for less than £200, they come with a spindle but it's only clamped in with a bracket so don't see why a Dremel couldn't be used instead,might need some tweaking to the clamp though.