1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2018 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 26 Nov 2017.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

What they really meant.
    A1) It fired up on the first attempt, then ate it's crankshaft.
    A2) This is also this year's Honda engine.
    A3) All the bits remained inside the casing during failure, so it didn't 'blow up'.
    A4) We ran this test at the Honda factory.
    A5) Only God can save us now.

javaman and Guest-23315 like this.
  2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Looks like some stripper left her thong over the car before the reveal. A few reports are bigging up the new williams, i'm predicting a disastrous season overall

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I like the Williams livery.

I'm opposed to the halo, but it's here now so I'll just have to grin and bear it .

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye.

From front on it looks like Jabba the Hutt's thong.

Edit: I'm surprised it doesn't compromise driver vision TBH. That can't be a safe thing to do.

6. fix-the-spade

The only bit that's in the driver's eyeline is the centre support and that's barely wider than the radio aerials and pressure vanes that were already there.

7. adidan

Ah k. Looks bigger in the photos. Phnaar.

8. fix-the-spade

It does look pretty horrendous in side shots. From the front the layout makes more sense, I still think that by 2019 they will have something more refined to fit.
    [​IMG]

adidan likes this.
  9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Doesn't safety far exceed asthetics?

People bang on about the looks of the cars but it's the racing that's important and nothing else.

F1 isn't won on looks....

10. adidan

Much clearer shot cheers.

Makes me think actually, I wonder how much time is actually spent looking dead on when racing on a circuit.

Yeah I'm sure it'll become more refined, no doubt more will be learned about the effects on the intake/aero and son during the season will cause further changes.

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Not when there is a solution that looks better and does the same thing ie the screen indy car is testing. If open cock pit is such an issue then why not go all in and ban it altogether, I'd rather have that than Jabba's thong draped over the show.

12. fix-the-spade

Just to be really pedantic, the Indy screen is being designed with lower force impacts in mind than the halo. It would stop a front wing like the one that killed Justin Wilson, but the F1 halo is being designed with stopping an entire car in mind, like when Grosjean had a crack at decapitating Alonso with a Lotus at Spa.

13. adidan

There have been a few times I've thought drivers have been lucky not to lose their heads.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Being a bit pedantic but it's deisgned to stop a track-side crane [Bianchi]

That accident is why we have the Halo.

15. fix-the-spade

Except the max load spec is a lot less than the load that was applied to Bianchi and the FIA are adamant it wouldn't have saved him.

Stopping the race when a typhoon rolled in and not having a recovery tractor on the run off area would have saved Jules.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2018
  16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Side skirts on the recovery tractors would solve that - they are trying for a catch-all solution with the halo.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

what's the math on the halo? 20 pounds at 250kph or something like that, right?
    I was under the impression that a full flying tyre is the "standard" that's being applied to Halo.

Either way - looking at the Williams and the Haas:
    Both went the Ferrari-17 route with the sidepods. Back and undercut quite far back still.
    It'll be interesting to see the Red Bull, simply because they're normally considered Aero Kings.
    Also, McLaren can't really afford to be conservative, so if there's something "wild" anywhere, it'll be there.

in terms of liveries, i reckon big changes for Sauber (we know that), more yellow in the McLaren, maybe Force Racing team (or whatever FIndia is now) changes colour (but that has to do with those water sponsors more than anything)

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Annoyingly I have liked the past few seasons special edition liveries over the race livery, personal favourite was the dazzle camo

[​IMG]

On the Redbull, theres a hell of a lot mid section aero gubbins going on there, a wing over the leading edge of the side pod and a lot of air shaping on those barge boards an the inlet for the S-Duct, well looks like someone crunched the front of the car to me.

20. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

RBR gonna be dangerous this year, I feel it in mah loins.

Ferrari tend to self-destruct after a good year, and considering 2017 was the best driver and constructor result they've had in the hybrid era, I suspect things will go downhill in 2018.

Renault and McLaren will be podium contenders, but only when the stars align, at the very least there will be some STONKING good fights in the upper mid-field between them and Force India. All have great driver line-ups, all got something to prove.

Williams and Haas will be next on the ladder, possibly with Sauber splitting them on occasions. Grosjean and Stroll will do a good season long reenactment of that year when Lewis and Massa couldn't be on the same lap as each other without sharing carbon.

Torro Rosso? HAH.