1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

It's a scam though? isn't it?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

3. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

adidan likes this.
  4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Where do we need to have our coins to get the split? I assume our offline wallets such as the Nano S won’t work...?

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Bitcoin creeping up on $11k again this morning, Ether following on the road to $1k/€800. That is a considerably quicker recovery than the previous major crash.

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Everything is up. Past performance is no indication of future blah blah - but my portfolio has doubled in a week. Another doubling and it's back where I bought it (half way into the dip). Of course I wish I'd known the dip was going to be as deep as it was as I'd be setting on double my investment instead of less than half!

7. RTT

RTT #parp

I held through the dip (but scatter-shot diversified most of my bitcoin as it went down) and have mostly recovered now. If it carries on as it has this week I'll be back to where I was mid December, which will be nice.

HMRC just refunded me a surprise £1500, so wondering what to do with that when it arrives :lol:

8. TheMadDutchDude

Invest in a coin. :D

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Ya think! :grin:

I like Sia and 0x looks like a fantastic project, so those are what I'm likely to take a punt on

10. Zoon

Take a good luck st the whole top 100. There’s also a blog https://buyandhold100crypto.com/ which contains interesting insight.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I am getting ready to buy my first bit coin. which wallet's do you guys use for bitcoin? I know about myetherwallet but that not for bit coin that only for the etherium and its forks right? Does any one on here follow crypto crow? Do you guys use profit trailer?

12. TheMadDutchDude

The safest way is to get an offline wallet. Grab a Ledger Nano S, that is worth the investment for sure.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

So when I woke up this morning, glanced at the phone and saw Tron at $1.10... "WHA WHA WHAAAAAAA!!????"

And then I remembered that I rearranged my crypto widgets yesterday. Resume business as usual.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ledger Nano S, but you won't get one before the middle of next month at best. You could pick one up sooner from Amazon at considerable markup, but be wary: there's a scam whereby ne'er-do-wells repackage 'em with fake setup instructions and a pre-loaded seed then steal all your coins.
    Yup: that's the 'Ether' part of 'MyEtherWallet.' I use that for my FunFair.
    I have no idea what either of those things are.

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Yeah. Been watching that for ages. I'd have a go at holding some of all of the top 100 but the amount of ball-ache required to sign up to a quadrillion exchanges seems like a lot of hassle (and i'm on 6 or so as it is). my portfolio is currently eth, btc, bch (hedging my bets against btc a bit), ripple, stellar, golem, zcash, and turtlecoin for lols.

I've dipped in and out of dash and litecoin, currently hold none of those.

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Living in the UK how do you buy yours Bitcoins to get onto the exchanges? Is Gdax/coinagy the best/cheapest option for UK investors?
    (I have no idea if that's the correct term when talking about bitcoin)

17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Deposit to Conbase, transfer to GDAX, turn into Litecoin, move it to whichever exchange you're using.

18. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

May I ask why convert to litecoin? I am planing to do my trading mostly in Bitcoin and Ethirium. What is the benefit of litecoin?

19. Zoon

Cheaper fees to move it by a huge margin.

yuusou likes this.
  20. Gareth Halfacree

Not so: when you send from GDAX, rather than from Coinbase, there are no fees - so it's £0.00 to send Bitcoin, and also £0.00 to send Litecoin. The fee argument only applies when going in the opposite direction and sending from an external exchange to GDAX, and these days barely even then: the Bitcoin mempool is so empty at the moment that you could send with a 1 satoshi per byte fee (around 2p for an average transaction) and make it into the next block.

Remember, too, that most exchanges use Bitcoin as the primary pair - meaning that savings you make in fees will be more than eaten up by the exchange fees in transferring Litecoin to Bitcoin then Bitcoin to whatever it is you're actually trying to buy. (That wasn't the case back in early January, when a next-block Bitcoin transaction would have set you back £15, but it's absolutely the case today.)

The main reason for using Litecoin over Bitcoin for GDAX-to-external-exchange transactions is that a Litecoin block is solved every two and a half minutes to Bitcoin's average of ten minutes - meaning that if your exchange requires, say, six confirmations before crediting to your balance you'll be waiting an hour with Bitcoin but only quarter of an hour with Litecoin.

Personally, if I weren't in a mad rush, I'd be using Bitcoin for the transfer these days.