1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What type of shower do I have/need?

Discussion in 'General' started by Vault-Tec, 20 Feb 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There are two types of electric shower. One heats the water and has one inlet. The other has a hot and cold inlet and thus doesn't heat the water it just pumps/mixes the feeds. Can any one tell me what the latter is called (IE no heating element two inlets)

I don't want to order the wrong type and have to return it etc.

[​IMG]

I could buy the same make and model but I am loathe to, if it will just die like the one I have did (and it will, because it's badly designed).

TIA.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Looks like a power shower.

3. wufer

wufer What's a Dremel?

4. Vault-Tec

They are all power showers, but some have heating elements, some feed hot and cold and mix and so on. IIRC about ten types.

I *think* mine is a mixer shower as it comes from the boiler (IE no heating element) but there are three types of those. One normal, one thermostatic (so you don't get burnt if some one turns on the cold water elsewhere) and etc.

TBH? as much as I am loathe to I think I am going to order the same shower. I am not having the tiles, wiring and plumbing altered because it will destroy the shower wall and then cost loads more money.

5. Vault-Tec

Thanks man. I found a similar article. However, I have looked at the correct type of Triton, downloaded the manual and the water fittings are completely different meaning we could end up having to have the entire shower area (the wall it is mounted on) retiled.

Sod that. 6 years isn't too bad I suppose so I will just bite the bullet and order another Mira Vigour. Hopefully they have addressed the water getting to the bearings issue now :)

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Technically yes as most have power going to them. :)

When i said power shower i meant a shower that mixes hot and cold inlets and has a pump in it to increase pressure, commonly known as a power shower as opposed to a plain old mixer shower that mixes hot and cold inlets and an electric shower that has a heating element in it.

If i had to guess it looks likes a Mira Go thermostatic power shower.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2018
  7. Vault-Tec

FFS, what a dippy. I pick up the now long forgotten (within 24hrs lol) cover and it says "Mira Vigour Thermostatic shower" on the housing. lmao.

I looked at some others, but they feed completely differently. So, after looking for the original receipt and realising it's done 6 years without any problems I have just ordered another one, identical. This will massively reduce the costs and the aggro. Plus if the two plumbers who are coming to quote end up taking the piss (because it is two screws, two pipes and three wires) I will do it myself. I am pretty sure I understand exactly how the compression fittings work for the inlets, and the rest I've already taken apart, put back together, then taken apart again.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I thought an electric shower involved a toaster.

Corky42 likes this.
  9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Oddly I was just about to suggest looking on the front cover for name and model. I miss my power shower, when we had the new boiler heating system put in they also had to replace the power shower with a puny electric shower and I really loathe it. Maybe see if I can get something better put in.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What's wrong with the old one, if you're feeling adventurous it could work out cheaper to replace the faulty part and do a bit of DIY.

11. Vault-Tec

We talked about it in another thread, but it's died of bearing failure. The inner part of the motor has a top bearing and a bottom bearing. Here is the top.

[​IMG]

And this is the bottom.

[​IMG]

Basically the pump bottom has a hole in with a ceramic bearing. The ball bearing is outside. Somehow the water was getting to the bottom bearing. The shower has been very noisy for about 6 months now, progressively losing pressure. I took a shower on Monday and of course, it totally jammed on me. All you got was "hnnnngggggg" from the motor and not much else.

So I took it apart and noticed the bottom bearings had ceased. No worries, I thought, I will just pull off the bearing and buy a new one the same size. Sadly as soon as I put the mole grip onto the bearing it just exploded into a mound of rust. There were only 3 balls left inside, the rest has disintegrated.

The issue is they are fitted with a hydraulic press. Obs to stop water getting up that shaft and into the electric motor. I have nothing to get it off with (I could try cutting it off with a Dremel) but then I really do have absolutely nothing to press a new bearing on.

A new motor and pump bottom is £110 + £8 shipping. The control board also has scorch marks on it (from working so bloody hard) and that is £100 to replace. The thermostat is £70 and etc. I've ordered her a new one, identical, for £178. Over £60? I'd rather not mess around. Knowing my luck I would fit a shiny new motor only to find the control board or thermostat failed.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea if the motors gone I'd do what you're doing, replace the whole thing as it will work out cheaper in the long term.

13. Vault-Tec

If it were a PC pump or what not I would play with it. But not 240v and real, conductive water lmao.

I went to Mira's site and they charge £340 for the same thing I got on Amazon for £178 ffs. Part prices are ludicrous really.

It's a shame, because we are now 100% a "throw away" society.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Perhaps a dumb question, but what is the water pressure in your bathroom like? Do you actually need an electric power shower? Or could a standard thermostatic mixer shower do?

15. Vault-Tec

Pressure is pathetic mate TBH. That was why we had the pump driven one. The cold is OK but yeah, hot is a joke.

It's a boiler tank thing. Not instant hot water at full pressure (like my flat). I forget what they call it now when the water is heated on the fly.