1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How to use onedrive to backup user data?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by silk186, 22 Feb 2018.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

Two nights ago my computer wouldn't boot and I was forced to use the windows 10 reset function. I thought it would be fine. All my personal data was backed up (research and photos). I saw that windows made a windows.old folder so i thought I'm good. I did a fresh install of windows and started setting everything up and I realise it doesn't have appdata... all my setting for qbittorrent and transmission... more than 10k torrents and the days it took me to figure out how to configure transmission. All my safe game file ... gone.

I start looking at cloud solutions... pCloud ₤220.99 for 2TB for life looks could and was recommended by a relative. The issue is my wife and I are grad students and we have a 18 month old. I realize I have 105GB of onedrive storage until 2020. Great, that is more than enough for appdata. It isn't enough for family photos, but I have amazon prime, so I will store photos and videos with that.

Unless someone has a better suggests I would like to know how to back up appdata with onecloud.
    I understand that I will likely need to make some changes with permissions?

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

1. symlink the folder/folders - does not require any extra software, but could be harder to accomplish, cause instability, etc.
    2. Use backup software like fbackup (paid version has capability to backup directly to onedrive), duplicati, etc.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey