1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Think my 780 is done. What is an equivalent?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 31 Jan 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I doubt it is poisonous. It doesn't contain lead which is why, if it is BGA failure, it's failed. Tin solder is much harder than lead.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The components should all be lead-free by this point, so you’ll be fine. I’ve baked a half dozen cards and never suffered any consequences... that I know of. :D

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

*puts his hand up* aye, me too. And mum is still alive and well :D

But yeah, ROHS = lead free. Which is what has started these problems tbh. Started around, ooo, 2005? 2006? something like that. I remember buying a Physx PPU and it was the last card I ever bought that had a lead warning on it.

4. Austin

Austin Minimodder

I would be wary of replacing a 780 with a 1050 TI as that card has virtually the same performance as a GTX 680 which is a solid step down from a 780. At least an old GTX 680 should be found a lot cheaper than a 1050 TI if you need something to work with whilst the GPU prices and availability stabilises. I wouldn't suggest power savings and driver optimisations would merit the extra £100+ you'd be laying down for the 1050 TI.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-680-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3148vs3649
    http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...4gb-vs-geforce-gtx-680-galaxy-2gb-soc-edition

For similar performance to a 780 you need 1060 which is at least a step up, albeit a small one.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-780-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/2164vs3646
    http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...ia GeForce GTX 780-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

There's also the 970 which performs similarly to the 1060.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-780-vs-Nvidia-GTX-970/2164vs2577
    http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...GeForce GTX 780-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB

If there weren't massive issues with GPU prices and availability you'd naturally use the opportunity to upgrade to a 980, 1070 or 1080 but I agree with it's utter madness at the moment.

I'm not sure about the Radeon alternatives but looking up a few reviews should show which ones are roughly equivalent.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Radeon equivalents are going to be more expensive. They’re better at hashing for most coins. Avoid those.

Austin likes this.
  6. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Oh I’m not getting a cheaper replacement in the interim. Unless one falls on my lap at a ridic good cheap price. Even second hand prices are ridiculous and I don’t trust eBay anyway.
    And retailers don’t seem to stock 9series anymore.
    When prices fall I’ll hopefully have saved enough to upgrade to 1080+/equivalent. :)

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Indeed, even ones openly advertised as dead on the bay of flea are priced at 2 -3 times what a mint condition used card would be worth.

8. pete*

Sooo I’m going to bake it..
    do I need to do this flux thing? Other baking videos etc show no flux?

I don’t have any and no idea where to look for some ;D
    Managed to clean most of the tim stuff off. Seems a lot all over the GPU spread everywhere in cracks all around it that I can’t get to as cotton buds catch which worries me they’ll leave a load of wool behind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Vault-Tec

I would use flux yes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF800-Li...963046&hash=item1c9d55425c:g:thAAAOSwCMtaT~eQ

Couple of reasons.. 1, flux has acid in it which will clean what you are about to reflow and 2. It's kinda like an epoxy in ways. So it acts as a bonding agent making the solder stick better. If the flux has degraded it won't stick to anything. I would grab that ^ and buy a syringe and "false" hypodermic needle and really get it under there.

10. Vault-Tec

11. pete*

I’ll have to look around see if I can find it in a shop today kind of wanted to do it today.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. pete*

Well, thanks for all the help from all in the thread!
    I attempted baking my gpu yesterday, felt very strange - I hate cooking but this was exciting.
    I’ve not had a chance to fully test it yet, other than popping it in and seeing if lines came up and if a game ran. Windows detected it without
    Code43 error. And I tried CSGO as that is the game it crashed on. It loaded and I got in game. It would crash as soon as it tried to load the game before.
    FPS seems lower than before.. but I’ll test that another day when I ha e time.

I did notice... curry’s has 1070Ti for £450?
    Is that a good price (compared to before) or is that still very inflated?

Once again, thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully this bake will let it run a good while longer! Putting that baseplate back on takes an age. Lol

Vault-Tec special mentionfor offering to bake itfor me and the big help given! Cheers mate :)

Vault-Tec likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

It's inflated. Well, for what it is. If they actually have them though it's not all out buttock assault I suppose, but I have seen 1080s for that much plenty of times.

And no worries man. Like I said, don't be afraid to keep baking it. At the end of the day it's not going to damage anything and you can get every last bit of use out of it :)

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They have 0 stock of anything above the 1050ti.

15. Vault-Tec

Yeah I figured as much.

16. Austin

Austin Minimodder

I believe the 1070 TI launched at £420 so it's better than many that's for sure. They overclock well and I've heard you can exceed stock 1080 performance which given the current climate is none too shabby considering how much the 1080 sell for - if you can even find one of course.

17. Vault-Tec

Keep us updated, Pete. I've never used flux before so the geek in me wants to know if it makes it last longer lmao.

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Just out of interest, did you check to see if you had any warranty left before doing this? I'm sure EVGA has a 10yr warranty, or they did?

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think EVGA's standard warranty is usually 3 years (varies by model iirc) but you can extend it to 5 or 10 years if you pay cash money to do so, at the time of purchase.

20. pete*

Well, so far so good. Although it doesn't get the stress your GPUs probably get. I only run PUBG and CSGO. No time to do anything else. And I don't see the point stress testing it
    if it makes it screw up again. ;D

Yup, i've had it since they were released and it only had 3 yr warranty. I thought it might have had 5 year or so, but no. :(

Vault-Tec likes this.