1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Just got the dreaded phone call. My aunt has died. Gutted would be an understatement :(

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Crap dude, really sorry to hear that.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Thank you. Life, eh? so many times I have told myself I get it and understand it and then it slaps you right in the face.

She was a very old lady (late 80s) and I had, or so I thought, mentally prepared myself for this time and again. She's had cancer, kidney failure and god knows what. Always pulled through, even though she didn't even want to (I think she had had enough tbh).

Then she goes into hospital, contracts pneumonia and two weeks ago I was telling myself to be ready. Then three days ago she's totally better and through the worst and then today BAM.

Then you get that phone call and 44 years of happy moments and emotion all hit you at once. Impossible.. It's just impossible. I totally don't get life at all. Everything you love, all of the happy memories you create and good times you have are then shattered when some one leaves :(

4. adidan

Yeah it'll wrap you up in knots if you try and figure out the what fors and whys.

Still often think about my dad, went far too early in his early 60s. At least now I can think about him and laugh at things he'd do or say so those happy memories are still there.

Unfortunately they get clouded in the immediate, and sometimes extended, aftermath. They do come back though.

But yeah figuring out why, well it's beyond me. Hang in there dude.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That thing I've been reviewing? I now need to rewrite two reviews, 'cos the company has decided to completely change the marketing from a Speech Development Kit to a Microphone Development Kit. (It's still not getting a great review, 'cos that massively restricts the market - in a week the head of the company has gone from "it's great for developers and hobbyists" to "we're targeting experienced developers only" - and you can't use any of its advanced features with third-party sound applications like Audacity or Skype.)

The first review is due tomorrow, so... that's nice.

MLyons likes this.
  6. adidan

So how's it start?

A product that is as awkward as the company behind it?

MLyons likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So I think someone's been messing with my CCTV camera: I spotted this evening that it's been pointed straight down. I was able to move the camera back up by hand although the bracket was still quite tight - it wasn't like it was loose and slipped down. Checked the footage and it's really not clear. I can see the fence below the camera moving just before it's pushed down; there's what looks like fabric at the top of the frame, but it's hard to see because the IR illumination around the lens totally whites out whatever it is. A cat walking across the fence wouldn't have made the fence move that much, plus it looks like the camera is rotated at one point.

Checked the last couple of days worth of footage and I couldn't see anything else. I've tightened up the bracket just in case, but this does not look like an accident.

If someone's trying to take a crack at my motorbike again I am really going to lose it this time. Definitely going to start saving to move the f' away from here.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Sounds like you need another camera...

That's not quite as facetious as it may sound, either - perhaps a more stealthy second camera to complement your primary, and plainly visible one?

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

There's nowhere else to mount it really. I can't really install one on the house itself since we rent. Probably shouldn't have even put this one up on the shed, but f' it - after some incompetent thieving little scrote tried to nick my bike back in October (and wrote it off in the process) I didn't even bother asking permission.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Sorry to hear that V-T, however much you prepare, part of you isn't ready and takes it hard. When I was away down under with rellies over there, my grandad died.
    He was nearly 92, and I sort of said goodbye when I went away 3 months earlier, but it still hit me like a brick wall when the call came.
    My sympathies are with you mate, it's not as if you've got nothing else on your plate right now :sad:. Hang in there and I hope the fog of meds is clearing.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

In the battle of heating or eating... the answer is *checks bank balance*...

...neither.

MLyons likes this.
  12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That snow was underwhelming. I was told by the BBC I would be near guaranteed a day off...

IanW and adidan like this.
  13. adidan

Anybody would think snow is poisonous going by how the news is reporting it.

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Knowing my luck I'll go to work then get stuck there

15. adidan

Luckily you love your job :)

16. MLyons

Very good point but I don't love being cold and hungry which will be the case if I get stuck there.

17. adidan

Just get everything running stress tests, that should keep you toasty.

As for food, I always imagined BT would be full of red bull and haribo. No?

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Your underwhelmed, this is all I have thus far, but I will put on my big boots just in case.
    [​IMG]

19. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Snowing in Italy. Snowing in Germany. What do we get in the Netherlands? Sun, Dry and Cold. All the disadvantages (bar some light) and none of the benefits.
    I want snowed on car parks to slide around in!

20. adidan

Bit of snow. Annoyed there's not more yet.