1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Gamecube

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pseudonym, 9 Oct 2003.

1. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

AS is often the case with nintendo.... there are some stunning games... but only a few... and there not as cheap as they could be... but with game cubes for £80 I'd buy one... If I didn't already have mine from day of release...

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I have all 3 and I love them all in their own little way.
    The GC is good because it has:

Mario,
    Zelda
    Monkey Ball (both)
    PN03
    Resident Evil

:thumb:

3. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

Cube games are cheap as chips m8

Any u can play imports with a free loader

Most old titles are 10-15quid inc mario sunshine and resident evil
    Fzero can b bought online for less than 30quid and its not even out here yet :p

Ive had mine from near enough launch as well :) I prefer my xbox but the cube has its highs :)

4. The Arowana

The Arowana What's a Dremel?

If I didn't have one allready I would get one now. Especially when you're looking at the line-up for christams and 2004:

-F-zero GX
    -Mario Kart Double Dash!!
    -Viewtiful Joe
    -FF christal chronicles
    -Harvest Moon (A wonderful life?)
    -Rogue Squadron 3
    -Billy Hatcher
    -1080 Avalanche
    -Metroid Prime 2
    -Killer 7
    -Starfox Armada
    -Unity
    -Resident evil 4

There are also a couple of Players Choice games you can buy for about half the price of a normal cube-game

-Super Smash Bros. Melee (best game ever imo)
    -Luigi's Mansion
    -Pikmin
    -Metroid Prime
    -Mario Sunshine
    -Starfox Adventures
    -Mario Party 4

and there are certainly more of them to come..

[edit] Of course, it remains very personal what kind of games you like.. and if your looking for a console wich has lots of rpg's, stealth 'm ups or driving simulators, you should buy a ps2..

If your looking for a console with overall best graphics, sound etc.. With great online capability's and a lot of real-looking but not simulating race, fighting and shooting games you should buy an Xbox

But if you like action adventures and platformers, a bit alternative games (ikaruga, unity, animal crossing) and the assurance that you'll have a lot of inspired original triple A titles from Nintendo such as mario, zelda, metroid etc... Then you should buy a gamecube..

Last edited: 22 Oct 2003
  5. :Galokin:

:Galokin: Guest

I thought the PS2 had better specs then the GC? or am i mistaken?

Ive got a PS2 atm and im happy wiv it. My mate mentioned the low prices of the GC today and got me thinkin if i should buy one or not. but im gonna try n resist cos i spend waaay too much money these days! **Slaps Wrists**

heh...some people have too much money!

6. The Arowana

The Arowana What's a Dremel?

The ps2 has better specs in some places (polygon count if i'm not mistaken).. but overall, the gamecube has better specs. More memory, higher memory bandwiths, texture bandwiths, a great custom processor, gfx chip, sound chip and a very compact design focused on minimizing distance between processor, gfx chip and sound chip (the sound chip is placed directly on top of the gfx chip ;))..

anyhow, the gamecube is also much more develloper friendly with lots of standard added tools for devellopers.. It also has automated anti-alliassing wich the ps2 doesn't have. This is great, because when you look at a LOT of ps2 games, they're all jaggy, because devellopers have to manually allias games (it sounds dumb, but i can't explain it any other way)..

Anyhow, while the gamecube's specs are less than those of the xbox, there is not even that much difference in graphics between triple A xbox games and triple A gamecube games. But you can see quite a difference between the gamecube an ps2 games (yes yes, gran turismo looks awesome, but that's the exception ;))

but the games are the reason you buy a console, not the specs..

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

Hmmm, the actual specs for the GC can't get advertised that well...I've spoken to nearly 20 PS2 owners who also thought that the PS2 is better (in terms of spec)...

quite wierd really...the PS2 is pretty old in technology terms

anywho, back on track, I got myself a GC at the weekend, got a great deal too (console, 2 pads, memory card, Resident Evil - £80 - also bought 2nd hand copies of Resident Evil Zero and Rogue Leader for £28 (total))
    I know quite a lot of anti GC peeps and they were all asking 'why the GC?!?'
    well, my bro has an xbox (so no point in me getting one), and I don't like PS2's (crap pads, shedloads of naff games, and it's still the most expensive console (despite being the worst?!?) - never got on with the original PS either, but that's just me)

for anyone that's considering getting a cube...go for it, now that they're so cheap!!

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Where was that from dude?

9. mushky

mushky gimme snails

do you have to get PAL versions or need a NTSC compatible TV?

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

monkeyspank,

I got my cube from Game Station...you'd think that the deal would be the same throughout all their stores...
    go down to you local, and ask them about it...if they don't do the deal (or anything similar) tell them that the Grimsby branch does, and maybe they'll be able to sort something out for ya

as for Freeloader, I think you can play any game on any console, but obviously, if you wanna play US games you'll need an NTSC compatible TV (I think that if a TV can do 60hz, it'll run NTSC stuff (inc DVD's))

11. vivid

vivid down in fraggle rock

gamecube owns all

what else can be said

the xbox is just too damn big with an uncomfortable big pad (although they have released the smaller nicer one)

the ps2 is old, looks stupid i thing and games are just rushed off the production line for it and so end up being rubbish

whereas GC looks cool, has the bestpad imo and games that you actually get into and look great and keeo you going back for more

Tags: