1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Race Simulator Setup Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 1 Mar 2018.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This thread is for those that have a setup, or want information from people who own a setup, with information of products, Pro's and Con's, what to Buy/Avoid, post pics of your setup, Etc.

I'm in the market looking for a half decent Simulator play seat setup that I can use for driving simulators, to normal mouse keyboard gaming, to general use or my PC. My 10yr+ old G25 is still going strong, but I fancy something more modern now.
    I have an Oculus Rift, and a 40" 4K monitor, so I'm not sure whether to wall mount the monitor or use part of the budget to buy a stand.

Budget = £1K.

So I need;
    • Wheel
    • Pedals
    • Shifter
    • Race Simulator

Also, has anyone had experience with the ButtKicker?

https://thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker-gamer2/

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looking into building a racing sim setup soon so will keep an eye on this thread.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You know what sod it. Say I have £300 for a setup what would you recommend.

4. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Gonna keep an eye on this as well

True you up for a race at the weekend mate.
    List what titles you have and I’ll make sure they are installed

5. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Coolio mate got both. Loving pc2 round Cadwell and donny with the caterham

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Guest-44432 likes this.
  7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

8. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

If you need a wheel and pedals and want to keep within budget i cannot recommend the T300 alcantara edition ( if you can find one ) The wheel size is perfect and the feel of it is just second to none. The base is top notch and the package for the money is nigh unbeatable. The pedals arnt amazing but id say the package is worth it for the base/wheel alone. Perhaps a used set of fanatec clubsports somewhere down the road ....

https://www.cleverboxes.com/thrustm...liate&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=webgains

The GT Omega ART cockpit is very good value for money. However the triple mount only supports 24" monitors.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  9. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

That Butkicker 2 is really good too. Although beware ... the AMPS seem to blow up on them quite regularly. I think there are better options available with more research. I sold mine to Bdigital and i had no issues with it , it failed on him within a year. But they are very good for sim rigs ... take good advice on setup if you do get one.

10. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

If you can get that T300 Alcantara package i would go for it. FFB is really nice and the wheel is a joy to use. It comes with the T3PA pedals which includes the brake mod. The 2 pedal version you get with the TX and standard T300RS are utter pants. That said ... if you can get hold of a second hand set of the T500 pedals to go with then disco man ... The 599 wheel is bigger than all the others and its just .. 'right' . I would not hesitate to buy it. You will not find a better package for the money imho.

That ART cockpit is all pre drilled for the wheel and pedals aswell which is a must. its a solid little rig , decent footprint too. I had a set of the Fanatec V2 pedals which i also sold to Bobby aswell and they are lovely but your talking real money then .... again ... IF you can find some. Hens teeth and no one who has then are daft enough to part with them. I had the Oculus aswell and i couldnt get on with it .. the draw distance is just too screen door for me , the sense of sitting in the car is utter amazing but the technology just isnt there quite yet. If it were me ... id go with triples.

11. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I know Darrin Gangi is a complete dick , but its a very sensible review.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  12. MLyons

I was more looking at £300 for everything i would need. Although it's not much in this hobby it's all I can realistically put into it for now.

13. Mister_Tad

You're going to put that in your bedroom?

14. Mister_Tad

Fair enough! Struck me as an odd place for a setup like that, but needs must. My in-bedroom gaming options are limited to handhelds.

EDIT: yes, I realise how that sounds. Keep it clean :lol:

Last edited: 13 Mar 2018
    Guest-44432 likes this.
  15. Mister_Tad

My "needs must" comment wasn't a comment at the location necessarily, rather directed at the fact that not having racing sim setup was simply not an option :D

I've been wanting some sort of casual setup for a while, but the issue of keeping it somewhere was always the sticking point. Do you have any experience with the Playseat Challenge, or ones like it? Seems a nice compromise to just fold it up and chuck it in the cupboard when not in use. Clearly nothing like comparable to what you've gone for, but I'm not a serious racing sim addict and not much into multiplayer. I just find it frustrating that there comes a time in every racing game where a controller can no longer cut it and remain competitive, and I have to shelve the game.

16. Mister_Tad

Without it I'm on a controller - I have a low and deep sofa to deal with, so wheel stands just don't work.

But you're hit on the main thing that puts me off - would the effort in dragging it out make me just play something else, or not play at all? You don't even have to detach the wheel and pedals to stow, so that's handy. I do adore racing games (particularly this last winter when it's been inadvisable to be driving in a spirited manner in my real-world toys) and this would really add to them, but I can be remarkably lazy when I want to as well.

The only real negative in the reviews seems to be "looks like a lawn chair", but then in use seems to absolutely nail its brief, and way more comfortable, stable and adjustable than you would imagine. I'd almost certainly pair it with a G29 & shifter.

I've set HUKD alerts for both the wheel and the chair now, so maybe I'll leave fate to decide on whether it appears for a bargain and ends up being bought. I so very nearly picked up the G29 last November when wheel/pedal/shifter sets were popping up for <£150 everywhere in black friday deals, but the fact I basically couldn't use it was a bit of an issue.

17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

@Mister_Tad Sack it all off and buy a Sega racing cabinet. All the cool kids are doing it ;)

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Nov 2020
  19. Mister_Tad

I've convinced myself on the cost now - I used to think of it as basically spending £150-200 just one game - would I really buy GT5 if it was £200? Nope. But then I thought the same for GT6, and Driveclub, and now GT Sport. I even didn't bother with Project Cars 2 as the reviews seem to suggest that the controller-based control is a train wreck (or car wreck, I guess), so no it's not spending ~£300 all in on one game, as it will continue to serve for years to come, and I do love a racing game.

Let's see what HUKD has to say :lol:

That's miles better. It's gone from "yes, I have a racing sim setup in my bedroom, what of it" to "oh that's an interesting desk chair you have there, wait, is that a wheel as well? Ohhhhhh I see now"

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Nov 2020