1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hilliary vs. Trump: The 2016 US Presidental Election

Discussion in 'Serious' started by rainbowbridge, 27 Sep 2016.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

"I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon."

...says the man afraid of stairs.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

And with those pesky bone spurs that kept him out of the Vietnam draft.

3. walle

walle Minimodder

That all depends on the economic situation over time, as you yourself said England was leeching before it was able to contribute.

Irrespective of that thou, If there is any outstanding debt let England pay their due and leave.

You were asking me in context of people and I used those two groups to demonstrate on two extremes, that is all.

4. walle

walle Minimodder

Accidents do happen, at least it wasn't during class.

The Bill of Rights is inalienable and not a list of award-able privileges, so anything that is to be done must be constitutional. Instead of going all emotional and reactionary pushing the anti-gun agenda these people should address the mental health care system instead.

The 2nd amendment isn't going anywhere.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So games and movies are dangerous but guns are not, when you apply the logic of guns don't kill people, people kill people to other items it sure sounds strange. ;)

Not that you'll read this but you do realise the clues in the name, right?

Amendment :- A minor change or addition designed to improve a text, piece of legislation, etc.

But hey who am i to argue, if America likes having 40 odd of their citizens getting killed by firearms each day and their schools turned into shooting galleries that's their choice, but at least do people the curtsey of being honest about it being nothing to do with "rights" and the constitution as that's been changed and added to ever since you've had judges setting precedence in legal cases.

Sauce.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2018
  6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Except of course I wasn't talking about a ban, but rather restrictions.
    If restrictions would not be possible then how do you explain things like waiting periods, background checks, age limits etc that already exists in wildly varying implementations?

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, I did not say that at all. I said that the UK benefited from EU membership, and now it is its turn to contribute in turn. Bailing to avoid that, i.e. taking without giving back is leeching.

So you were the one to bring up 'imaginary white privileged oppressive male patriarchy'. Thanks for confirming.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"Inalienable" does not mean "unconditional".

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

If this was the first time it'd happened then maybe questioning gun control/availability could be called emotional or reactionary, but that's not the case here. The US has a clear problem with mass shootings and needs to stop pretending that is nothing to do with the easy access to guns. There's plenty of data from the rest of the world showing that as you have fewer guns in circulation you have fewer gun-related deaths.

That's not to say the mental health system shouldn't also be looked at, but it shouldn't be done in isolation of looking at the bigger issue.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Don't forget that eagle...

[​IMG]

And the panic in his eyes when someone jumped the barrier at an Ohio rally.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

A first step would be to specify the types of arms people have a right to bear.

It is the only nation that has, or has had this written right, with no restrictions.

MLyons likes this.
  12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Everyday I get at least one laugh from something he's said.

Also I do get confused when people are so sure about nothing can be changed it's a right etc (and healthcare is a privilege?), but it's literally called an amendment.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They managed to ban or at least severely restrict the ownership of Tommy Guns, i'm sure they could do the same with AR15s and similar if they wanted to...

...they just don't want to.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

You know that there are several limitations on the second amendment. Try importing any current modern assault rifle from outside the US, buying a rocket launcher, frag grenades or a nuclear bomb.

Also, good thing the Eighteenth Amendment is no longer a thing.

15. walle

walle Minimodder

Bailing? There was a referendum, the English people had their say, if there is any outstanding debt let England pay their due and leave.

The conditions were set when it was drafted and framed in such a way that people would posses those rights regardless of government action.

Hence Bill of Rights.

Anything done must be constitutional, that is unlikely to ever happen, let alone amended to a point were they cease to be rights.

16. walle

walle Minimodder

That’s just a card that they play to play on people emotionally they do this all the time, when they attack the second amendment they whore dead children, when they attack the first they whore 'hurt' feelings. Today we have people protesting Freedom of Speech because of ‘hurt’ feelings.

Statistically you are not very likely to get shot to begin with.

You could take a country with fewer cars in circulation to that of a country with more cars in circulation and say there’s plenty of data to support that the country with less to no cars in circulation have fewer car-related deaths, in all likelihood that would be so.

There are countries with more gun violence than the United States, it’s those you should compare to, not to those who have close to no guns in circulation, doing so would be flawed and disingenuous.

Mental health is the root cause of the problem here but to be blunt, government never has any interest in pursuing something that does not directly empower IT, and you should always pay attention when government is quick to be your 'friend'.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Then how do you explain the eighteenth amendment? Or the other 25 later amendments?

Oh and BTW the bill of rights does not grant people with rights, it places restrictions on or grants right to the federal government.

It even says so in the preamble of the bill.
    Personally I'd say comparing cars to guns would be flawed and disingenuous.

However if you wanted to go there it only serves to reinforces the argument for gun controls as the use of cars have controls placed on them in attempts to make them less harmful.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2018
  18. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Who are 'they' and what do you constitute as whoring dead children? When is or isn't it acceptable to question the number of young people who have died at the end of a firearm? And that's without going into the number of people who aren't children who are the victims of firearm related incidents in the US.

As Corky42 has already said, comparing cars to guns is flawed and disingenuous. As is only comparing the US to countries who have more gun violence. You should be comparing the US to countries of a similar socioeconomic status. And when you do that you see that most, if not all, have far tighter gun controls, fewer guns in circulation, and significantly lower firearms-related deaths.

Mental health is a vast topic which doesn't have a simple 'cure all' solution. Nor do people who commit mass shootings (or are involved in any sort of firearm related incident) necessarily display any signs of mental health issues beforehand. I'm not arguing that there aren't any mental health issues involved, but they need to be addressed as part of a joined up approach, which includes tighter gun control.

19. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

American politics and media are such a dumpster fire.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

He's going full of poe's law, apparently he's going to hold a listening session with the ESA on Thursday where he's going to talk about regulating the content consumed by youths in video games, movies, and on the Internet.

Because we all know it's not the guns that are responsible for all these firearms related violence, it's the media people are consuming in video games, movies, and on the Internet. o_O

Last edited: 6 Mar 2018
    MLyons likes this.