1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I assume you need fat muscly legs to power that thing along on anything other than a flat surface?

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I see one of those going along the cycle path on my way into work pretty much every morning. Every time I see it I still think "That looks ridiculous" :D

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I rode a couple of fat bikes on a demo day, Some are utter bricks, Surely Ice Cream Truck for example, 17Kg, where the Trek Farley was around 15Kg I think but that's a full suspension.

Big bonus on them is grip, eternal grip it sticks to everything, that way they eat up small to medium bumps especially the Farley, decent shocks and squishy tyres was like riding on butter.

Gearing on fatties tends to be very generous small ring up so something like a 30T and a huge cassette say 11-40T on the back, I have a 32T front on my mountain bike and using the 40T rear your barely at walking pace unless you mash the pedals.

Also not related at all to fat bikes, took my planet X out with the super deep 66mm carbon rims last weekend, 200g heavier than my 30mm deep rims but super fast, feels amazing plus the noise it makes going along, you immediately feel like a pro even piddling along.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Okay so my rear derailleur cable snapped and I've not been able to get anywhere to get a new one so I have been cycling with 3 front gears but only one rear (the smallest cog), I think this may have casued me to bend my rear spindle.

How do I find out what I need to purchase size wise, is it the actual spindle I need to change or the quick release skewer.

Thanks

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I can't quite figure out how using the smallest cog on the cassette (even for an extended time) would case anything in the wheel to bend? Is the wheel still spinning true and without resistance?

Also, moar progress! Brakes fitted, chain sized and installed. Just waiting for cable outer and pedals, then need to fit the Reverb and we're good to roll :D

[​IMG]

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I don't know how it could have bent it but the spindle or skewer is definitely bent, I just assumed that may have been the cause but maybe not, when I stand up to ride heavier the wheel flexes and briefly touch's the frame and when I removed the spindle you could physically see it was bent. This is how I knew I had a problem.

So how do I find out exactly what I need to replace and what size?

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

If the tyre is brushing against the frame, either a few spokes have loosened up and put the wheel out of true, or the skewer has slipped slightly from the dropouts (which is probably why it's now bent).

Is it a bolt-through axle type? Or standard 9mm quick release? What bike is it, dude?

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

99% chance it's a standard 9mm x 135mm QR skewer then, easy as pie to replace :thumb:

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Cool that's great, so it would just be the skewer I need to replace?

Can I measure the diameter of the skewer to find out, ie the skewer itself is 9mm and 135mm long.

11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

You can measure to be double sure, but 9x135 is a standard that's been around since the 90's and I would imagine a company that produces as many bikes as Giant wouldn't diverge from that standard.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Have had a comedy of errors from a company in Nottingham. I phoned him to talk about a crank set I wanted to order. I explained it was going on a BMX etc. Ordered it and when it arrived he sent me a 127mm BB for a trials bike. Not the 113mm a BMX/MTB/Fixie etc all need. This meant my chain ring was miles off, so the chain was actually twisting and coming off. I phoned him and because it was such a massive PITA to remove it all I agreed to pay for some spacers and bolts. Waited two days, spacers and bolts came. However, when I removed the bolts from the back parts (which I won't be using) I discovered that three of them were 10mm (not long enough) and only one was 14mm.

This GT is simply refusing to take a crankset lol. What a massive PITA. So it's still not done :(

13. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Technically had it's first ride this afternoon - albeit only 20m or so up and down the work area :p

[​IMG]

Pretty much all the cables need to be shortened (why rear brakes come with such long hoses in this day an age of super short rear ends, who knows!), which will likely mean brakes will need bleeding along with the Reverb, but i'll tackle them all at the same time. Other than that, I just need to find my shock pump/buy another to get some air in the rear can (frame just bottoms out as soon as I sit on the saddle right now) and then do final cockpit adjustments and take it for a spin to get everything bedded in. :D

bawjaws likes this.
  14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ok so I have found out why my rear wheel is so lose and wobbly, I've actually managed to sheer the spindle which in turn I think has bent the skewer.

So anyone know what size spindle I'm going to need?

I'm lost without my bike :(

Finally get the gears sorted and now this.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2018
  15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If your Giant still has the stock rear wheel it's probably a Joytech hub, if you can find the exact model number of the hub you might be able to get a new axle from Joytech.

BUT.

If you've snapped the axle the freehub body is probably shagged as well, you can probably get a whole new wheel for a couple of quid more.

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I couldn't see any further damage, I think the skewer may have kept it all together enough to limit things but I won't know until I pull it all apart again.

I'd like to try a spindle and skewer and see what's what as they seem fairly cheap, i know it's a bit pathetic but I don't want miss matched wheels plus they have disc brakes so would I have to replace them too?

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

No marking's on the axle but it's 140mm long and either 9.3 diameter or 9.9 when measured across the threads.

Will one from Halfords do the job, it's not an expensive bike ot anything but I don't want to put a worse part in than what was there befire?

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Halfords will will do the job on it, they are made to the same spec. Take the wheel with you to be 100% you get the right one.

Also, set my bike up for summer yesterday, an today it snows...

[​IMG]

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Hub axles are not interchangeable, you need the right one or a new hub. Like I said you need to look for a model number on the hub and see if you can get parts based on that, Halfords won't have a new axle for Giant XYZ rear wheel just sitting around.

For the quick release any QR skewer that is the right size will do.

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I haz drive !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just waiting on the carbon post now. Carbon seat is here.