1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hilliary vs. Trump: The 2016 US Presidental Election

Discussion in 'Serious' started by rainbowbridge, 27 Sep 2016.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yeah, but he didn't say nasty things on Twitter...

MLyons likes this.
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If Trump gets NK to disarm, he deserves a Nobel prize. Give to Caesar what is his due, etc.

Besides, I bet he'd do a rocking acceptance speech. :p

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The problem is anything short of disarmament will be seen as an abject failure, he's set a pretty high bar when he criticised Obama for the Iran agreement.

4. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Aaand Tillerson is out!

Not exactly unexpected, but still...

5. Nexxo

That's what you get for calling out Russia in Trumpland.

And the dance of the musical chairs continues...

MLyons likes this.
  6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Tillerson apparently found out he'd been fired on twitter...

Also isn't the new CIA chief the one Germany wanted to arrest for crimes against humanity?

EDIT: It was human rights violations but, yep, it's her...

MLyons likes this.
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

So Tillerson gets fired hours after calling out Russia for poisoning someone...

Why? It is not like the Russian government poisoning people is some sort of secret, they all but admitted that they did it on state run tv with a very thinly veiled threat to do it again...

8. RedFlames

[​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  9. Nexxo

10. RedFlames

11. walle

walle Minimodder

If you want to call leaving bailing you’re entitled to do so, what matters is the democratic mandate, and that government honors it.

The second is as valid today as it was 230 years go, same thing holds true for the first. It doesn’t matter what year it is.

As for mental health issues there’s also the link between psychotropic drugs and violence.

If you want to make a comparison you should compare deaths as the result of smoking to deaths as the result of gun-violence.

I brought it up to prevent people from making those ‘arguments’ in the first place and to prevent another one, it’s about the amount of dead. Not how they die.

Interesting you would bring up driving tests, in the US getting a license is both cheap and easy, it has to be that way for people to be able to exercise their right to travel. In England getting a driver's license is both complicated and expensive.

The downside is that sometimes you get people out on the roads who should not be driving, just as getting a gun is cheap and easy, which means you sometimes get people owning guns who should not own guns.It is a right not a privilege and a right that is only revoked if you have committed a crime.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2018
  12. walle

walle Minimodder

That depends on your definition of violent crime doesn't it? I never applied the definition when I made the statement.

That being said, you are more likely to get robbed and knifed in England than you are in the US.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I always find it funny that so many pro-gun people don't even understand what the constitution and its attached amendments is, I'm guessing it's like the UK in that they don't teach people the fundamentals of how government works.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So you are basically saying you made a statement based on no criteria, or criteria that you didn't mention that must be different from those used in their relevant definitions, and then go on to make another statement in a similar fashion.

Thanks for clearing that up, i'll mark your comments down as false positives then. Always have to look out for those when looking for actual evidence.

Right. I feel like i'm wasting my time now.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sorry, but if anyone's argument for not having gun control is someone said the citizens had a right to bear arms over two centuries previously, in my opinion they're very clearly on par with boxes of rocks for intelligence.

Don't get me wrong, I love guns. I think they're feats of genius, what a modern bullet can be made to do is just astounding for such a short, relatively, period of development.

I also think that, given that they make killing a whole hell of a lot easier, there needs to be mental health exams of the people buying them. There needs to be a home check to make sure the weapons are secure. There needs to be a hell of a lot more training than 'none' before someone is allowed to buy one. Basic gun safety at the very least.

The answer to a gun problem is not 'more guns'. Much like the answer to car accidents is very rarely 'more cars'. Or the answer to a disease is, generally, not 'more disease'.

The fact that it's even a debate is just astounding. Look at countries who have good gun control, and their mass shooting statistics.

It's not about removing gun, or violent, crime all together - That's impossible IMO - But reducing the means available to the lunatics who would actively seek to commit that kind of crime.

16. Nexxo

We were talking about leeching. The UK profited from EU membership to move from "sick man of Europe" to its second-largest economy, and now it is its turn to contribute to the EU so other, poorer countries can profit in turn, it is bailing.

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Note that the right to bear arms is framed in the context of a militia: all able-bodied civilians eligible by law for military service as defined in US law.

A bit of history here: in 1777, the Second Continental Congress adopted the Articles of Confederation, which contained a provision for raising a confederal militia that consent would be required from nine of the 13 States. Article VI of the Articles of Confederation states,

Hence the second amendment. So the intention would be for civilians to 'bear arms' in the same way as is done in Switzerland:

That is not the picture we see in the US today.

That logic reminds me of a Kentucky Fried Movie comedy sketch in which scientists prove that smoking is good for your health by having one subject smoke a cigarette while the other keeps crossing a busy motorway blindfolded until he is hit by a car. :hehe:

Nobody brought those straw men up but you.

And given that everybody dies eventually, the discussion is about how, when and why people die.

Which is probably also why US road safety is the worst in the Western world.

Let me help you here:

United Kingdom:

“Violent crime contains a wide range of offences, from minor assaults such as pushing and shoving that result in no physical harm through to serious incidents of wounding and murder. Around a half of violent incidents identified by both BCS and police statistics involve no injury to the victim.” (THOSB – CEW, page 17, paragraph 1.)

United States:

“In the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses which involve force or threat of force.” (FBI – CUS – Violent Crime)

Yup: 1.27 times more likely; whereas you are 35.2 times more likely to be shot in the US, and 6.9 times more likely to suffer aggravated assault.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Mar 2018
  17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You don't even need history, militia is defined in article one, section 8 of the constitution where it states...
    The above text seems to make it pretty clear that the 2nd amendment was written to ensure the newly formed union of states could enforce the newly written laws of the union on the body (the federal government) they choose the govern them should it contravene the agreement.

It's pretty clear the right to bear arms came with a lot of caveats but last time i checked there's no organizing, no disciplining, no training, no officers, and the federal government (afaik) hasn't contravened the laws of the union for many years.

Nexxo likes this.
  18. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Part 2 of CH4's expose.

Pliqu3011 and MLyons like this.
  20. RedFlames

Last edited: 22 Mar 2018