1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding modding noob lookin for ideas

Discussion in 'Modding' started by gnoff, 25 Oct 2003.

1. gnoff

gnoff What's a Dremel?

ok, im new at this modding thing, and i need help thinking of ideas for a portable case for my computer. I know that i might sound kinda fool-heardy but i am looking for somithing challanging, to impress my friends and take to lan-parties. I really liked the ammo-case mod, but it was just too darn long for me to follow. I am kindof on a low budget too...

Maby im comeing across a little demanding...so how bout I ask for fairly cheap ideas, that way ne1 who sees them can use them. :D

2. LCDNinja

LCDNinja What's a Dremel?

the ultimate in portability would be a mini-itx system. Probably not very good for gaming though.

Why not make one inside a suitcase or an empty toolkit? You could find one large enough pretty easy, and they're not that hard to mod

3. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

If you don't know what you want to do and are just looking for something to put a computer in the best thing i can say is go to your local military surplus or salvation army/good will and just look around. I'm sure youll find something to your likeing.

4. mence

mence What's a Dremel?

Go for a cube case with some handles on the top. Use cheap materials like scrap perspex for a good cheap solution. That way it's small, light and easy to carry to LANs.

5. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

i agree with mence... it'll let you get used to cutting perspex... so that if you decide to mod another case... uve already had some practise with cutting perspex... so u can do a range of stuff to the pc <-- if that all makes sence :lol:

Rm :p

6. gnoff

gnoff What's a Dremel?

thanks all for the ideas, i think ill go with a mod similar (although much eaiser) to the ammo box mod...I really liked all the lights and i have a really cool idea for a keyed start (like an ignition) that would be simple and pretty cool.

7. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

My dad has some 20mm ammo cans that held 100 rounds, and I think I could fit my current PC in there case and all, so check around to find some larger ammo cans to try those. I've seen ones meant for mortars that were very tall, and so many other kinds, you probably could make a regular ATX system.

It would be neat to se a full tower ATX stystem in an ammo can. Though all of it would have to be on an internal rack so you can pull the comp out of the can to get access to it..

Good luck whatever you do.

8. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

yeh but isnt that going to be tricky?? that would involve making a frame inside of the ammo box... as well as making a frame for the casing to fit too..... good luck though!!!

Rm :p

9. gnoff

gnoff What's a Dremel?

lol, my last post was a little messed up, what i really ment to say was that im going to make a portable case (like an ammo case), and mod a key switch instead of a power switch into it. then i will hook my computer up to it.

It sounds like it is still lacking somithing though...ne suggestions appreciated