1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concorde

Discussion in 'General' started by Lithium, 24 Oct 2003.

1. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Concorde ...what a real shame. The last flights landed today and the planes are destined for a place in museums.

Due to financial reasons we are taking a step back in technology.

Why???

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

aparently it was uneconomical for them to run them especially when like only 20 people per flight were on....

But they're meant to be going to foreign museums... and prot brittons are against it....

If i'm really honest I couldn't give a flying monkeys... it's just a plane... live with it.

3. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

Next generation aeroplanes will be very technologically advanced.
    And technology doesn't always means velocity :D

4. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

no, more advanced just means more proffit for the airlines

5. SiMonTiST

SiMonTiST Minimodder

exactly, more profit :(

but to be honest, there isn't as much of a need for supersonic flight any more, what with the Internet and everything...

6. ChillingSP

More advance could mean less fuel hungry engines , hence cheaper transport, hence cheaper tickets.

7. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

blah blah blah....deleted due to drunk talk...lol

8. westeee

westeee What's a Dremel?

its a shame there gone , there prob wont be anything like it again

ive been on one b4 so i can say i had the experiance

9. LCDNinja

LCDNinja What's a Dremel?

au contraire... I'm an avionics technician, so I keep up with aerospace engineering, and several companies have been developing aircraft which can fly at barely sub-sonic speeds, which will eliminate the damaging sonic boom problem, along with making the aircraft more fuel efficient and easier to maintain.

If you ask me, the grounding of the Concorde is a good thing. It's a step forward, as now we have a void that must be filled, which leads to new technology and innovation.

10. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

Manchester Airport were going on about buying one to keep there on show, but I'm not sure if they found the funding or not.

11. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Nopes ... it means less expenses for the company ... prices arent really going to go down.

I am sorry that I will never have a chance to fly on the Concorde .... :grr:

12. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

Are they banned from flying or are they just not commercially flown anymore? I'm sure some rich mofo wants to have one...Mr. Gates...

Btw, I heard that the developers of Concorde are going to make a even faster plane that only carries 8 people, making it very effecient to run and quiet enough so the europeans arent bitchin over the noise...

13. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

it's a myth that they are really noisy over ground, strict air traffic rules prohibited them from going supersonic over land. The standard procedure was to take off with enough power to get airborne and fly to the bristol channel where they would request vector for a supersonic run, once approved they would throttle up to enough power to go supersonic, well away from land. The only people to hear the boom were the fishermen or sailors on the channel.

The future is in silence and size, so night flights can become more of the norm and more people can be herded into each plane.

Mr Richard Branson offered to buy them from BA for a nominal fee and employ crew/engineers to keep them airborne, even at a loss to preserve our heritage. BA, however, saw more profit from selling them as collection pieces and sacking/re-employing the staff. It's all about money I'm afraid.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2003
  14. penski

penski BodMod

Oh do hush.

*n

15. Carbon

Carbon Banned

lol, i heard a rumour that mr.branson offered £1.

also if you read that concorde site then it tells you that 4 months after the first flight the french were looking into developing a "model B" which had quieter engines, more passengers, less fuel consumption and better range thus allowing travel to more destinations without the moaning about noise.

it is a shame though, i was in birmingham on the 19th floor of the rotunda watching it when it did a tour or b'ham the other day and its a great plane to look at. The noise is sexeh though, just like the noise of a high powered car :D

16. OrbDemon

OrbDemon Minimodder

Well BA and Air France initially bought them from the British/French government for £2 each I believe - the whole cost of development was bourne by the governments not the airlines.

I think it is still profitable - but BA would rather make more money by stufing all the passengers in 747s which have been half empty since 9-11.

Such a shame - I don't really think the noise is a huge problem, i'd much rather concorde roar overhead a couple of times a day, than jumbos every 10 mins!

When I was little we visited Duxford Air Museum, where they had one on the ground for people to look at, anyway, we were looking towards the flight deck and one of the captains or whatever, suggested I sit in the front seat to see the controls! But, I was too scared and never did dare to sit in the cockpit - such a regret!

17. ChillingSP

Take a look at Concorde sell-off.
    Someone spent $500000 for the nose :D

Link