1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Which 4K tv?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yaka, 27 Mar 2018.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

so since my trusted 65 plasma has kicked the bucket. im in need of a new tv either 55 or 65" im not too bothered about pic quality but am bothered about input lag and response times. as the tv will mostly be used for gaming. any suggestions?

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Budget?

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Any TV will suffer input lag, unfortunately. You’d need to wait for the BFGD before that’s solved, and they’ll be pricey to say the least.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

A lot of the Samsung QLED will do 20-30ms plenty good enough.

6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

7. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

budget is about 1300 if that but i was hoping to wait till the nvidia screens are out. ive just not kept up on tvs as i didnt want to keep upgrading , as my panny plasma monitor was just great for gaming on. think that lg tv looks good

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

65" plasma? dear god, was it delivered on a crane? I had to lift a 42" Samsung plasma I thought that was bad !

Yaka likes this.
  9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

yeah it came in a flight box which i surprisingly got 300 for on flea bay back then

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Why not just pick up a cheapy 4K 55" TV until the Nvidia BFGD are out?
    There's plenty of deals to be had this Easter weekend. ;)

Yaka likes this.
  11. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

If i was going to buy a TV id buy it from John Lewis. They will give you a 5 year warranty on TV's ... which is bloody good. Amazon wont do that.

12. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

aye this is one of the reason i am trying to stay away from the gorgeous oled screens.

valid point

13. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I bought one of the 58" hisense tv's for 589 + 50 cash back for my 7 year old 40" Toshiba.

I'm not a hard-core console gamer or movie purist. For me it works great, from ps4 to sky hd and my shield tv in 4k, and for that kinda money I really can't and won't complain.

14. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

This Panasonic gets rated at 10ms in game mode and is selling for £999 for the 58", I'd personally go for the jump to OLED but that is probably the best TV under a grand for gaming at the moment.

15. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

after trying the hisense ones and sending them back and getting a refund .i am about to go for a 2nd hand Samsung tv with transferable 4 1/2yrs warranty i know some with this exact tv and pretty much camped over at his house watching footy and trying games and im pretty happy with it, so as this is a 2nd hand tv what tests should i do?

oled is out for me as tv will be sitting in direct sunlight during the day

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I use the UFO test, as there are a few things you can test to see where your display is lacking.

So try MPRT, GtG etc.

https://www.testufo.com/mprt

With my 40" Philips monitor, I have to turn off any type of overdrive else it looks like the screen is stuttering, same as my Sony TV, I turn off all motionflow, as it slows your panel down, and creates more input lag. Yet there's no noticeable ghosting from doing so on my sets. :)

Yaka and B1GBUD like this.
  17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

well left behind my usb stick, and was one a very tight time limit to get back home and pretty much exhuasted. i am sure i had dealings with the guy before, iam sure i sold him few gfx cards over the years.
    anyways very nice bloke but after a bad day at workand driving down the motor with no aircon took it out of me in the heat today. in the end i just watched a few clips paid and got it home re hydrated and a short nap later gave it a good check over not the best way to do it but very pleased with the telly. i still have one other panny plasma a 42phd8 which is in our dining room holds up very well. and god of war looks stunning on it

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I loved my 63" Sammy Plasma from all those years ago, games looked stunning on it, especially Crysis! :)

I'm still confused what I want next... Dump VR and get triple monitors, or get an ultra wide panel, or buy a 4K HDR TV to replace the 40" Philips monitor... Maybe I just want it all... Lol.

Yaka likes this.
  19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i dunno about 4k tv for pc gaming. i know alot of peeps enjoy it having tried it on this tv its not for me tho will prolly use shield tv to stream the odd game to it.
    if like car/space sims/flight sims then once you go vr its very hard to go back to multi monitors but some times it feels nice not have a headset on like during this awesome summer we are having im just not using my oculus at all, i just dont fancy it .
    for work flow tho its still multi monitors vr/ar still has some ways to go/

Guest-44432 likes this.
  20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

There's no replacement for displacement.

VR for VR-friendly things as Yaka suggests, and the biggest, daftest screen that you can get on the wall for everything else.

Yaka, sandys and Guest-44432 like this.