1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows 4k Netflix

Discussion in 'General' started by Vault-Tec, 27 Mar 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Right guys figured I would ask.. Right now I am on the £5.99 low res plan. I didn't see any point on a 23" screen. However, new TV is 4k (coincidental, it was cheap) and so I am now wondering whether to go 1080p £7.99 or 4k £9.99.

Opinions, please.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Does what you've got hooked up to the tv support netflix 4k [more specifically the DRM]?

...is any of the stuff you watch on same actually available in 4k?

Unless both of those is yes, i wouldn't bother with 4k netflix.

3. Vault-Tec

IDK and IDK lmao. The TV has it built in apparently and I also have a Fire stick with voice remote.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073VPXXCP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is the TV. I wanted the LG but due to the stand it would not have worked. I have a 22cm deep fireplace mantle, and even though the stand is 23 deep it will stay on because of the stand, as opposed to this stand..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XVMKXZY/ref=psdc_560864_t1_B073VPXXCP

Which would have forced me to use a wall bracket, and been a total PITA. So I chose it based on the stand haha.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2018
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Then tbh i'd stick with the 'HD' netflix... you can always change your mind again down the line if you so choose...

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Be an enthusiast, spend the extra £2 a month and quit beating around the bush. :D

6. Vault-Tec

True.

When my ex and I split I gave her the TV in the bedroom so I could keep the 65 in here. Not for any other reason than if I took it down all of the trunking and so on would look stupid. I hardly watch the TV in the living room (just whilst eating dinner). So it's a pretty massive upgrade going from 23-49. I would imagine the 1080p will be more than sufficient.

Brendan - Yeah I might just try it out for a month. Will see... If I can get mum learnt on using it then it may well be worth the extra. Might buy my brother and sister in law a stick too, given they can use our Prime as well.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Alternatively don't give extra money to a faceless corporation for no reason.

8. Vault-Tec

There is that.. Right now I am paying £5.99. £9.99 seems like quite a lot more. Having said that I can't fault it at all. They have excellent content, including the movie Roxanne, Roxanne I have wanted to see for ages :)

And it could be worse. I could be giving it to Sky...

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Tried it for a bit and wasn't impressed so just switched back down, no biggy, just try it, make your own mind up. HD quality is pretty good on Netflix.

Amazon has 4K content too if you use that.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Netflix 4k content is excellent and there's plenty of it on there. £4 extra is only a couple of beers a month... no brainer.

It's clearly a polarising question but if you consume a lot of TV series, then it's a great choice.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

We have Netflix 4K - Used to pay £8.99pm but even for the extra quid, it's still worth it. Plenty of 4K and HDR content. But you will need a stable network with at least 16Mbs, as 4K content runs at 15.26Mbs.

12. Vault-Tec

Well that would be me screwed, as I get about 8.9mb down. However, my Android console thinger is rated for 4k, so I may as well just download anything I want to watch at 4k.

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I thought you needed more than that? Even Netflix' own FAQ says you need at least 25mbit for a seamless experience and I certainly couldn't stream 4k without buffering on my old 20mbit connection.

14. Vault-Tec

Oh hang on I have 58mb fibre. I thought he meant download speed.. Not megabits !

I have the TV set up. Will upgrade the NF tomorrow.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, it's 25Mb/s for Ultra HD. @Vault-Tec, there's literally no point in going for anything above Full HD (5Mb/s) - it simply won't work on your connection. (Unless you're using an Android box and have considerable patience and local storage space, in which case you can download the 4K stuff for offline viewing.)
    Oh, in that case, never mind! (This is why you need to be careful when posting speeds on forums: 8.9Mb/s is very different to 8.9MB/s...)

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

@Vault-Tec - Gosh, no. 15megabytes per second is a 120mbit connection. Overkill for 4k!

If you've got a 58mbit connection, you'll be absolutely fine matey.

17. Vault-Tec

Kickass. Well I may as well stump up the cash then. At least it means I know what my family are getting for their birthdays (Amazon sticks with my NF account on lmao).

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yep, the premium (4k) package allows 4x users to use the same account simultaneously, whereas the standard plan only allows 2.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  19. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Which is the exact reason I word it as mbit when describing a connection speed. I know it's incorrect, but it alleviates some confusion.

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Ulitmately 25Mbs is what is recommended, but that is down to how far away you are from your exchange, how much noise is on the line etc. Just cause you may have a 25Mbs connection, doesn't mean you will get 25Mbs.
    I said at least 16Mbs, because realistically, if you're getting a minimum of a least 16Mbs as a worst case scenario, then it will run fine.