1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding What can i mod on a laptop?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by funkymunky, 25 Oct 2003.

1. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

Hey guys...
    Right my new laptop is arriving monday; toshiba portege 3010ct..

and im wondering what i can mod on the unit without going over the top as such.... could do something with blue leds... but dont particularly want to mess it up so ive asked a mate ( electronics whiz kid ) to do all the work for me and ill pay appropriate money... but i dont know what i should do???

any ideas???

RM :p

2. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

any ideas at all :eeek: :waah: :grr:

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

i really don't think it's a good idea i'm afraid - would obviously invalidate any warranty and then you'd have to pay a lot to get it fixed if anything fails.

if you really have to do something to it i'd recommend you do something constructive like improve the cooling (maybe try and fit a slim fan in somewhere)

4. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

actually i didnt think of that.....
    slim fan.. that then leads the way to make my own fan grill for it i suppose :rolleyes: :idea: :lol:

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

sounds good - but if it's going to be on top (level with the keyboard) make sure it's not going to scratch/cut/destroy the screen!

6. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

another problem would be that the laptop is sooo thin (about the thickness of a match box) to actually beable to get a fan thin enough to put in there in the first place

Rm :p

7. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

yeah I won't do it at the moment if it breaks in the first 3 months then your going to want that warrenty.

Try other things that you can remove.

USB cathode :)
    link
    USB light stick things (I have them and they are great)
    link

also
    you could try moddin an opitical mouse.

8. mence

mence What's a Dremel?

well, with the caveat that everything you do will invalidate your warranty, here's a couple of ideas:

• Replicate the glowing Blue Apple logo (like on the Powerbooks) with a logo of your own or a Toshiba Logo
    • Make some side lighting slits (so that light spills out to the left and right of the laptop), sorta like gills
    • Add some edging to the lappie - maybe some chrome edging?
    • Add glowing lighting to add ports/slots that light up - like ZapWizards CDROM

9. ChegsJAR

run EL wire around the inside of the laptop :D

10. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

warrantee isnt an issue as the laptop is second hand... and im thinking of modding my mouse now... just gotto upload a piccy to fearsome mouse......

11. ChegsJAR

*throws warranty out the window*

now the fun beggings (Icantspell.co.uk)

12. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

its about the thickness of a matchbox...
    so i dont know about the whole fan idea... but there has to be super thin 40mm fans... (hopes)

and acrillic fan grill sanded to the top of the palm rest bit would look very sweet.......

13. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

could i not do a drilled pattern into the plastic palm bit... and then put a super bright led in there and it would shine through the holes... and i could use super fine sandpaper and get a very professional looking design in the laptop....???
    But i have no idea what type of leds to use... and what type of sand paper i would require.....

or perhaps get some very very thin allu. and put some kind of detailed picture on the plastic

14. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Don't under estimate the value of a nice paint job. With some nice LED light streaming from some vents. That would look great.

15. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

another thing.... theres a n allu plate on the top of the laptop... apprently its a bit scratched... which is a common fault on this type of laptop.... firstly can i replace it.. and 2nd ly is it possible for me to have this engraved???

or perhaps get this chromed??

and then engraved with my favorate dragon??

[​IMG]

16. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

ive always wanted to mod a laptop.... i have an old one that is okay and its pretty thick that i had some ideas for.... but if its the thickness of a matchbox.. you really dont have much of a choice... an LED would barely fit in there... maybe a 3mm one...

if i were you the first thing i would think of is painting it... getting a nice and good paintjob will do a lot... maybe some chrome here or there...

i like your dragon idea.... try to go with that...

now if you could go without a CD-ROM (doubtful) i would try to fit a nice lil LCD in there or something that would show right underneath the keyboard... would be VERY kool :)

17. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

conveniently enough.... it has an extermal cd rom drive.... :rolleyes:

soooo there must be somewhere for summet to go... if all fails i can run a few leds in parellel with a resister and the battery and have a nice blue glow when i turn the unit on....

actually that wouldnt work, so i could put a small switch or micro switch somewhere and turn the circuit on and off....

18. Shogun

Shogun Banned

anyone know where i could get 5v off a lappy? enough to run an lcd? its got ps2, parallel,com port, vga out

19. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

Yeh to get 5 volts off a lappy... you could use one of those external USB Hard drives... alot of those run off of the ps/2 port which is 5v exactly....... i have one and im using it to power a laptop cdrom drive.........
    which subsequently is 5v too.....

20. Shogun

Shogun Banned

im gonna try it in a sec, hope it works.