1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Tomb Raider Film Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 28 Mar 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...we're reviewing films now?

I WANNA REVIEW HACKERS (1995)!

<starts drafting a pitch>

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..Sprayed in the face with water?

What?

I feel a googling coming on..

Edit: Googling achieved. Ohdeargodwhydoesthatexist.

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I watched the film on release day with the misses. We thought it had a great build up, but it dropped off near the end. It was pretty much an Indiana Jones film... But we enjoyed it.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Did you just review a movie? I almost hit the report button.
    I gotta say that 100% the cgi action in these new movies kills the immersion. At least get a real suspended plane wing to stomp on. It feels like she's jumping around in a green padded room in the trailer.
    I'm not saying they should crash a Corvette or have a helicopter dropped on them, but not this.

Anfield likes this.
  6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

+5555654634536735

Most extreme example is probably The Thing 1982 vs the Thing 2011 with the old one looking a million times better.

7. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

The odd thing is, I can forgive old and/or poor traditional effects (strobing stop motion, visible finger prints on the models (1933 King Kong!) shoddy matte lines, etc) waaay more than I can forgive terrible CGI. Maybe its because I can better understand the work involved with the old school stuff and what it takes to get it to look good as opposed to how good your software package is and how good the programmer is at using it. Oddly enough I can just about watch older CGI effects films like The Last Starfighter and bits of The Wrath of Khan because it was early days and they had to start somewhere. Ditto for TV stuff like Babylon 5 & Space Above and Beyond - although I always though SeaQuest DSV look poor.

Anyhow, I saw this one on the opening weekend and I thought it was okay. IMAX didn't really add much to it but I didn't have to spend any real money on it thanks to a cinema gift card and an unlimited pass.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I think it's because CGI has a pretty linear relationship between budget and quality: mo' money, mo' quality. Physical props require a bare minimum amount of money to be spent to actually build anything, and even at the bare-minimum budget the difference between an awful prop and an actually-pretty-good prop is far more down to the maker than to the budget spent on it. Think linear ramp vs. super flat S curve.

I actually enjoyed the 'old' Tomb Raider films, and likewise with the games: mostly because "Lara Croft is a badass pilferer of antiquities because daddy ran off and then some bad men hit her with sticks" isn't really as fun as "Lara Croft is a badass pilferer of antiquities because she enjoys it and trained to be good at it". Not every action movie character needs to be backed up with a ham-fisted tragic backstory, after all.

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

That'll be a very short review... it'll just be "one of the best films of all time".

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT IT WILL.

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Planning on seeing Tomb Raider this weekend, sadly no 4D cinemas near me so I won't get the enjoyment of being sprayed by water.
    Really hope the film contains at least one QTE.

It was one of the first films I ever bought.
    Hack the planet!

Shame they never made sequels...
    those two horrible films don't count!

12. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Glad Lara finally has half a chance to be half decent.

As an bloke who sat in his darkened living room with a Sega Saturn plugged into a small CRT, utterly immersed in the original, and then moved onto PC versions later.. and finally watched the mammoth pile of dog excrement what was previous Tomb Raider films...it's a relief.

However... best game made into film ever made is Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Without a doubt. Any film which, by 3/4 through, my father in law can forget it's not real actors, and asks me to pause it while he pours another glass of beer, is true genius!

13. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

And anyone who's been bad, gets to review Super Mario Bros. :p http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108255/

Last edited: 29 Mar 2018
Tags: Add Tags