1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A new build (3.1h) was pushed out this morning. Reclaimer & Terrapin are now available.

[​IMG]

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Performance improvements? Are quests finishable now?

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

3.1 pushed to live earlier today. Right on schedule.

Stability has improved a lot, but performance still not quite there.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

"not quite there".... is an understatement. Performance is absolutely pathetic. Still getting 10-20fps and it tanks to single digits on the regular. Its unplayable for all but the most ardent of fans.

For everyone else, don't even waste your time downloading it.

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Downloaded for the first time in ages to see the improvements and updates. Having since upgraded to an i7@4.8Ghz and a 1070 I was hoping for somewhat more of an improvement than my i5 and 750ti! Sure, can make things look prettier.. but still can't get a stable gameplay.

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I played it for the first time today, having not tried 3.0 at all. It was surprising to see NPCs walking around and all the added functionality.

The framerate was inconsistent. 40fps one second, then 30, then 2, then 25. I got to Levski and then crashed into the place (blowing up most of my ship) after getting into a scrap with a drake ship I never saw before either. Client did not crash, I actually quit. So less crashing in this short test.

Such progress from the days of 2.0a ptu, yet plenty to do.

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So iv not been in the loop with this game for a few years as i written it off as a flop.
    Has there been any meaningful progression and any sign of a release, even a beta? from what i see, there is hardly any progress and the hype is completely dead and the devs have bitten off far more than they can chew.
    Kinda like Dayz, just admit its never going to happen and give people some closure.

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I think it's your decision to look into it and decide rather than anyone convince you and it sounds like you have made your mind up anyway. I've had mixed feelings for a while and sold a lot of the stuff I pledged for aside from one game package with one ship.

IMO there has been massive progress from say 2014-15, but it is still far from beta. Performance, deep polish and fixing the game breaking bugs are required. Yet there are still many key systems to be implemented and every time a new system or game mechanic is added it breaks again.

The new player experience is awful. No tutorial as that got broken and despite some quick tips and hints, it is hard to know what your doing as a new player.

Still a WIP alpha.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

I would still call it a pre Alpha, it’s so incomplete the game you play on there is no where near the game that will be launched.

2020 looks optimistic, kinda glad I have not over backed it as I think I might of tried to get a refund by now my account is there for the 1 day it may launch.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Yeah pre alpha is a valid description.

Still massive potential, and I genuinely think with the huge teams they have now it will stop being glacial development cycle in terms of releases (famous last words!).

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd be tempted to put my money on the opposite, really. After a while adding people simple increases complexity - the mythical man month, and all that.

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Increasing complexity and Star Citizen.
    Unrealistic goals and Chris Roberts.
    Peas and carrots.

Still hopeful, Wing Commander 1, 2, 3, & 4 were all awesome.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Live release is now at version 3.1.2. Weekend free-fly is in effect, using Mustang, Aurora, Cutlass & Cyclone buggy.

14. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Stretch goal?

16. Parge

Calling it Snake Oil usually means you aren't following development very closely - it is definitely not that - but they definitely have many more years ahead, and its already been quite a few.

I have no doubt someone will write a book or make a documentary about it one day, and it'll probably be very compelling.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Fun Fact:- This was part of the $14m stretch goal. "Professional-quality feature-length “Behind the Scenes of Star Citizen” documentary film."

In other news, a 3.1.3 PTU just began. Goal is bugfixes, but to make it more entertaining, CIG have granted players 100,000 aUEC and several "limited" ships for the duration (eg Vanduul Glaive)

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

The issue with that Ian is it would be made by them - hardly an objective source.

While it has inspired many people and is still potentially a game changer there are several critical points to be made around what Roberts and Co have done/are doing.

19. Parge

I'd like to see something made by The Verge. They do some pretty in depth articles on topics like this now and again, and they are usually reasonably balanced and well researched.

In the meantime, all I care about now is performance. Absolute minimum of 30fps consistantly. Until that time, for me at least, everything else is pointless.

20. rma

rma Minimodder

Look who I nailed in Elite last night...
    [​IMG]

Apologies if Star Citizen doesn't get finished now :)