1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Digital codes and Google Play

Discussion in 'General' started by IamJudd, 5 Apr 2018.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Before I start, I should probably state that this is probably sat in a rather grey area of film licensing and piracy around the different regions. Essentially, it's using the digital code supplied with a Blu-ray that the user doesn't require.

Movies Anywhere is an aggregator of content providers allowing a number of companies like Google, Apple, Amazon, Vudu etc to link your digital libraries.

Problem is you need mainly American accounts to link them altogether.

There's a workaround (and if you are lucky, 5 free movies to claim).

Firstly, open a Movies Anywhere account via a decent VPN. Some work, others don't. Pure VPN was good but a paid for option. Tunnel Bear is my current free VPN when claiming new codes.

Then link your other accounts. If you are lucky enough to have an American iTunes account, great - some films automatically get upgraded to 4k. You can link the UK Amazon account but it won't play or link existing films or add new films you buy. However, Google Play, when linked, does link. Not only that but I have bought a number of films now that have been cheaper than the UK rental price after the dollar conversion through Paypal. And a lot of the films aren't out in the UK yet. Recent purchases have been Coco, Jumanji, Shape of Water etc. Three Boards out of Ebbing and Lady Bird are some recent additions to codes available.

So, anyway, once you have linked two accounts, you should automatically get five movies (Jason Bourne, How to Train your Dragon 2, 2016 Ghostbusters, Lego Movie, Big Hero 6).

Now you can buy codes or get free codes depending on what forums you are joined up with and how lucky you are with being the first to answer. You then log into Movies Anywhere (via VPN), redeem the code (US codes only - UK ones do not work) and, once redeemed they appear in your Google Library.

It will get better once Movies Anywhere gets a global release but given the fact that it took six years for Disney to get it into the states, I'm not holding my breath. My media is still a little fragmented over three different libraries but the money I am saving means I can concentrate on the Movies Anywhere redemption and get the films in Google Play. When I can link iTunes and Amazon in the UK, I can choose any of those three providers depending on which UI I like using the best.

I've not added any links as I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to get any revenue from the different sources for this post but there's enough information on your favorite search engine to explain the above. Just thought it was well worth your time to at least have a look!

Ian

2. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Managed to open a Vudu account today through VPN... then linked my UV account (the ones that Blurays in the UK supply with a digital code) and my Movies Anywhere account... now I have an extra 60 films in my Google Library! I hate the Flixster app and the lack of options for streaming from the app to a TV source (quite a few don't let you stream from a device to the TV and there's no app on Android TV for Flixster) so this has really made my day!

Just iTunes and Amazon to go!

3. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I tried to open a Movies Anywhere account today using Tunnel Bear and it didn't work :(

I've got a load of movies on uv which I can play on my TV thru the Talk Talk app on Xbox One, but there not accepting any more uv codes so movies anywhere seems like it would sort this, if only something like that would offically launch in the UK uv seems like it should be great, if anyone actually supported it.

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

tunnel bear seems to be ok for validating codes... I just did a couple . Might need to experiment. I know they have just added Fandango to their repertoire and that the free films will be finishing soon!

Give it another go )