1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ Project Alumina - A SFF Case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shinji2k, 25 Feb 2018.

1. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

There's been a bit of a set back. I got the case back a couple of days ago and I wasn't exactly happy with how it turned out. A friend of my boss gets a lot of things anodized so we just tossed it in with a batch of stuff he was already sending out. Well, it was anodized clear but it was such a thick layer it etched off all of my brush marks and discolored it a little. I ended up with a slightly pitted, green case. It was a freebie job so I can't be mad but now I have to get it looking good again and decided what plan B will be. I already spent some time getting it all removed with some bead blasting and did a quick test to see if I could get the same finish I had. I think it'll be ok.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ow. That seems to be a theme lately. "Got it back from X and it's f'd up."

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The case was looking great, hope your can get plan B working. You mentioned the 120W Pico didn't boot your computer, was the replacement a 150W pico or a different brand?

4. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Yeah the 150W worked fine, the ones from mini-box. I haven't tried the 120W on anything else so I don't know if it was defective or if there was a timing or lack of power issue.

5. CAF PCs

CAF PCs Custom PCs

$90 for the majority of a custom case isn't that bad I guess. Makes me sad thinking about the amount of aluminum milled out of the block turned into shavings

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

KURT fixtures are the best. (bookmarked)

7. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Yup Kurt is great as long as it isn't me buying it. Stupid expensive :grin:.

Oh and I've been pretty busy at work, so not much progress going on. I was experimenting with a bead blast/clear cerakote finish and I think it will be acceptable. I was trying for a Macbook-esque finish and I think I can get close. I've kind of given up on the brush finish.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2018
    Arboreal likes this.
  8. ccRicers

ccRicers What's a Dremel?

SFF - check. Alumimum - check.

This is a very nice case! Even without the anodizing, the brushed finish looks nice.

Glad it's for a Ryzen APU build as well. I have the same motherboard and cooler for one.