1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Ah, You mean series Landys !

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's hardly life ruining, just very sad. I went to the chemist to collect my Zopiclone and when I got there I noticed the post office was shut. "That's odd" I thought as I waited. Then when I came out I saw a notice on the window. "The post office is now closed for good. Alternate post offices blah blah blah". One is three miles away the other about 2.5. Which means I am screwed if I want to send anything.

It isn't really that which makes me sad though. I can deal with that.. It's just that where I live is very olde worlde and we still had all of the facilities to match. Slowly we are modernising, and I don't really like it. I will really miss the lovely lady in mine. So helpful and attentive.

No doubt the chemist will be next. I have already signed two petitions to keep it there :( I just hope that wherever it ends up (because it's inevitable I guess) delivers or I will be double screwed with a cherry on top. It's very rare that I have the courage to actually go out and get my meds tbh.

3. Sajuuk

Sajuuk Outsider who isn't welcome.

I can sympathise- we still have our post office, though all of the banks have shut. First HSBC closed & took its cash point ( now it's a Mountain Warehouse ), then Santander ( not sure what that is now- a charity shop I think, we have rather a lot of those... ), then Lloyds ( now a Jack Wills ( men's clothing ) ), and the Natwest is closing in June & taking its cash machine too; that leaves us with a Yorkshire Building Society and 2 cash points in the whole town ( population of ~4000+ ).

What makes it worse is the fact Natwest promised they wouldn't be closing so when LLoyds announced they were, everyone moved their accounts over to NatWest- now all they will have is a mobile bank from Natwest & Lloyds that visits once a week, nearest physical branches are ~20-30 miles away. I'm with HSBC and I don't do internet banking, but touch wood I rarely need to visit a branch to do anything- I get a statement once a month so any issues can be dealt with as needed ( none in ~ 20 years thankfully ). Given the UK's large population of older people who can't or don't want to do internet banking it's a bit of an issue to say the least- only having 2 cash points in a town driven by a tourist economy is also a bit of an issue; last year they ran out of cash on a bank holiday weekend and many smaller businesses simply don't take CC payments.

Yay, the future...

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Nothing makes me glad i pay for full-fat MS office quite like having to use Google Docs [Google Sheets if we're being honest]...

...can't be doing with it taking 30+ seconds to update every time i type something in.

5. Vault-Tec

Sake, man.

So about ten minutes ago I am happily listening to music when I get an email come through. It popped up in the notification thing in Windows and I read the title and thought "Oh here we go, scam email". However then I noticed my mother's name..

So I read this email and apparently my mother owes Origin Broadband £503 and due to non payment it has been sent to a solicitor for collection.

What happened. My wife and I split up and the broadband was in her name. It was with Plusnet.. I firstly tried to set up a switch with Origin in my name. It failed. Origin could not tell me why (they genuinely did not know why it failed). Then I thought "Well maybe it is because I have no credit score and don't exist" so I asked my mother if she would let me switch the Plusnet into her name. She said it was OK so I tried again. It failed. Again Origin could not tell me why.

OK so then I find out that basically you can't switch some one else's broadband to another name. That was the first thing I found out. Then I found out that Plusnet had put a freeze on the line and thus the only person who could switch it or use it was my ex wife. This was all fine, if not annoying. I ended up setting up a new account with BT and managed to escape the near £200 bill for a new line and phone number because the guy who sold it to me cocked it up and did so under contract. Any way, the Origin accounts were both cancelled and we received the refund for the set up charge, modem etc. I have not heard a dicky bird from them since. Not here at my flat address, nor at my mother's. They also have not emailed me, or her, or phoned either of us.

I've phoned the debt collector and told them what has happened, but will now need to phone them back once I am with my mother. FFS, man. Obviously a clerical error somewhere but I don't understand how they can just send you off to a solicitor so easily.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The urge to build a light saber.

Stupid Star Wars movies making them so goddamn cool.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Not life-ruining, just bugging me a bit.
    Pre-ordered my new phone off Amazon France (Came with 150€ Amazon gift card, seemed worth it), release date was yesterday and expected delivery is Tomorrow or Thursday, but it still hasn't been dispatched.

8. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Depends what phone

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I don't preorder games since they aren't usually a limited commodity any way and with all the industry bs going on on top of that, but I made an exception for the Yakuza 6 After Hours Premium Edition...

After amazon had sent me an email back in march saying it was delayed until 17th April I wasn't worried too much, but today I got this email:

No idea if its amazon or sega who are to blame, but so freaking annoying as the only way to get it now is through scalpers.
    You had several months to get it right and I'm handing you £80 for an old game, do your bloody job ffs.

11. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

spending 4 hours trying to put my moms computer back to rights after she somehow managed to re-set it back to factory settings without any user input at all... all while she is bitching at me for 'letting it go wrong'

12. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Race Face Aeffect saddle... Not ruining my life, just my arse.

80 miles of commuting done in the last 6 days, my sit bones feel like they are about to do a pretty good inpression of a pair of chestbursters (assbursters?).

Also, Google news feed on my pixel giving me CONSTANT F$@_&#ING NEWS STORIES ABOUT VARIOUS FOOTBALL CLUBS NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I TELL IT II' NKT INTWHSSED IN JIRGEN FUNHSHG KLUPP!!!!!!!!!

13. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

a shoulder impingement on the waiting list and no surgery date in sight.

14. Vault-Tec

That should ease with time.

I will never forget the night we decided to ride from Streatham to Box Hill in Surrey. It was about 30 miles there and back and I did it on a BMX with a solid plastic seat. I was walking funny for about three days and had to sit on a large cushion.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Apparently there are no joists in my garage ceiling, and the plasterboard is suspended there by magic.

I was knocking up a suspended shelf/tray sort of thing to store empty suitcases, and wanting to do things properly wanted to affix it to something more substantial than plasterboard... nothing.

So now I have a shelf that isn't as sturdy as I'd like it to be (though fine for empty suitcases), and a ceiling that's peppered with little probe holes that I'll have to patch up. :grr:
    I hate it when little jobs take this sort of turn.

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My PC is really starting to get bad now. Instead of just struggling to turn on it now struggles to stay on. Can't wait for my 2700x to arrive and find a decent motherboard

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

PSU borked?

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

A hosting issue, regarding emails, which i have been repeatedly assured was fixed... is still not fixed some 6 month after i first reported it.

19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Think it's a CPU issue. Tried it with different mobo and RAM and the issue persists. The error code is always related to not detecting RAM.

20. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What error code do you get, sir??