1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

isolating a hum coming from my tower? (that I cannot hear)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by RickDawson, 9 Apr 2018.

1. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

My dad has been complaining of a hum when he sits downstairs on the other side of the room below mine.
    both rooms are identical and my computer is the other side to where he says he can hear it from downstairs.

I can produce music with it on, in the same room. so it isnt annoying to me
    downstairs I cannot hear it at all.

I've tested by turning all computers off (server, tower, laptop) off.
    Yesterday I put the server back on and no complaints.

Today I put my tower back on and shortly after he complains.

so now I know it's my tower PC that is the supposedly culprit. How can I solve his issue of hearing it downstairs, and I cannot?

Specs:
    i7 7700 (Stock heatsink and fan), MSI Z270 -A Pro motherboard, 24gb Corsair RAM, ssd for boot and main programs and 2Tb seagate 7200 drive for storage.
    Case is a black Silverstone TJ04B the original without window. not the E (which is the newer version of the case)
    It has the stock 80mm fans.
    official page, which only shows the updted version, but references the original
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=325&area=en

only place I can find is a French page showing photos of the actual case version i have got:
    https://www.materiel.net/boitier-pc/silverstone-temjin-tj04b-8595.html

It is sitting on a chipboard shelving board that has legs screwed to it, that is stood on the carpet.
    legs are these type, maybe the longer ones (max 200mm) not sure.
    https://www.diy.com/departments/rothley-h-100mm-painted-black-furniture-leg/254347_BQ.prd

What can I do to eliminate the hum, that only my dad can hear coming from it ?

Last edited: 9 Apr 2018
  2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I get something similar from my own machine, quiet in my office but missus can hear hum downstairs, put my machine on vibration absorbent matting, seemed to do the trick.

Its funny how sound/vibration can travel, for the same reason I can't put the dishwasher on late at night I can feel/hear the pump in bed despite it being nigh on in audible in the kitchen.

If you have a stack of coasters, cork/rubber etc, try placing them under the feet see if the hum changes.

Bazz likes this.
  3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It could well be the hard drive especially if it is screwed in the case although even rubber mounts sometimes don't stop all the resonance. Suspending the drive in elastic will fix it. Alternatives are to use a 2.5" hard drive which I've found tend to have less resonance but are a fair bit slower or a Toshiba P300 series 3.5" drive as they're a lot quieter than the Seagate's and seem to suffer less resonance.

4. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That should work perfectly. If that doesn't do the trick then my next guess would be the stock heatsink and fan.

6. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

I don't have the side panel on the case for cooling reasons.
    I've been wanting to add a 200mm clear blue led fan that I have to the side panel.
    would this help? (not just for the hum issue)

I'm not the engineer in the family, but my dad is, and he won't do the job of cutting the panel to mount the fan.

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What's getting hot? The CPU or GPU? If it's the CPU then putting on an aftermarket CPU cooler should fix the issue and allow you to put the side panel back on. It'll also be quieter.

8. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

the previous system in the same case which was an AMD A8 system was getting hot and I had the aftermarket heatsink / fan on.
    side panel was off, so I left it off with for the current system.
    The graphics is just the integrated Intel.

I've not actually checked what temps my current system is running at.
    any software I can run (win 10) without having toreboot to the bios to see what the temps are?

9. MLyons

speedfan should show what you need. Unless the room is super hot the side should be fine on. surprised it was getting hot with an aftermarket cooler on. Don't suppose you could post or link to an image of your current system? Would help me try to work out if anything odd is going on.

10. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

the aftermarket cooler was doing a brilliant job on the old system.
    maybe I should have tried the side panel back on.

it's the current system that he can hear.
    the old incarnation there was no issue that he mentioned.

11. MLyons

What aftermarket cooler do you have? Once you download speedfan try monitoring the temps with and without the side panel using a stresstest like prime 95

12. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

I'll have a proper look at it later.

13. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

I would say that if its a 'hum' and is not noticeable by you but by someone else in another location then you are inciting a harmonic resonation.

Try isolating it from the shelf as a test - maybe sticking it on a folded up blanket/ something like that?

14. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

it's on the shelf to allow air flow into the case

15. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

so I've been able to detect the hum... not by sound, but as a vibration by putting my hand on the optical drive.
    first thing i did was disconnect the optical drive.
    vibration still there, so not the optical drive.

I stopped each fan in turn, and it wasn't them either.

So the only other physical moving part is my 2tb seagate storage drive.
    It boots from a SSD

Upon moving the removable 3.5in cage it is mounted in seems to modify the vibration a little.
    The drive shouldn't be on the way out. as it's new this year. I think early feb late jan.

any ideas for my next move?

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

RickDawson likes this.
  17. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

good idea Sandys, though I will have to see how they do with the screw free mechanism that is there.

18. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

19. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The earlier post are your best bet. Using materials you have on hand, spare rubber mat or towel try isolating the case from the floor. Make shure the case and stand are not pressed up against the wall either. If you can prove that this works then look into modding the stand and case to make the solution permanent, like upgrading the case feet... I am thinking a sets of rare earth magnets set to repel thus levitating the case. :dremel:

20. silk186

silk186 Derp

Why not switch to a 1-2TB SSD, it will cut vibration and improve performance. It should be easy to justify for a work pc.