1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ [Sponsored ] Project Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB | by Zeuligan

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zeuligan, 12 Mar 2018.

1. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

[​IMG]

Awesome times with the possibility to do another project in the amazing be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900. My third consecutive project in the same case. The project is extra special for me as it will also be my ever first AMD build, with an AMD Threadripper 1900X. ASROCK, EK Water Blocks, be quiet! and Enermax are sponsoring the project. Most grateful for that.

Specifications:

ASROCK Taichi X399
    AMD Threadripper 1900X
    ASUS GTX 1080Ti FE
    T-Force Delta RGB RAM DDR4
    be quiet! Dark Power 11 850w
    8x Enermax T.B.RGB 120mm fans
    Custom addressable LED strips
    Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB NVMe M.2
    2x Samsung SSD 850 256GB

Water cooling:
    EK-FC GeForce GTX FE - Nickel Water Block
    2x EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexi
    2x EK-RES X3 250 RGB
    2x EK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple)
    EK-FB ASRock X399 RGB Monoblock - Nickel
    EK-HDC Fitting 12mm G1/4 - Black
    EK-HD PETG Tube 10/12mm 500mm

With the clean build of Zeuligan with almost to empty tubing I decided it was time to bump up the game. Only good way to add more tubing without SLI it is time to incorporate pass throughs in the build.

[​IMG]

This is the concept sketch I did for the custom PSU shroud. Round edges to go with the EKWB D5 Plexi pump but straight lines to keep it clean. After all it's a workstation build. It is also time for a black and red build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ASROCK Taichi looks really nice, specially with that monster of a CPU that the AMD Threadripper is. This will be fun. The sprockets will be a detailed used in the theme of the build.

[​IMG]

It was with some sorrow I decided to take Project Zeuligan apart. I need some of the component and decided it was time to move along. After a quick drain and taking the entire build apart I needed to get rid of the leather. Extra happy that I only used like a gallon of superglue, not. Glad I got real tools.

[​IMG]

Very tempted to do a full chrome build after watching the naked brushed aluminium showing it self, but not this time.

[​IMG]

After a few hours with the grinder and two layers of primers the panels are looking really sexy. Ready for their new coating.

[​IMG]

After constructing a temporary spray tent of some builders plastic I went to work with some very red spray paint. At this point I'm worried that it will be to red, but will no for sure once the paint has set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smexy. The paint dried a little darker and will be a perfect match for my MDPC-X Italian Red sleeve. Will add two layers of matte varnish before it's ready. That is two more days of literally watching paint dry :)

[​IMG]

Cut a 10mm wide and 1000mm long piece of 3mm acrylic. This will be the front base for the PSU Shroud. Clamped a piece of aluminum tube and went to work with my heat gun.

[​IMG]

Almost perfect, but will try to fix some minor details with the angles once I create the lid / floor of the PSU shroud.

[​IMG]

Taking measurements for the top piece.

[​IMG]

Here I have the lid on top of the PSU Shroud font. This was a good start of project Redrock. I hope you liked it so far and I would love to hear your thoughts. What you feel about the concept of the PSU Shroud?

2. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

The main part of project Redrock is the custom PSU Shroud with an integrated L shaped beam in red color. Same red color as the exterior. It will be challenging to create a perfect fit of the 3 individual pieces as they are hand crafted.

[​IMG]

I had to redo the entire floor of the PSU Shroud. Decided to do it in 5mm acrylic instead of previous 3mm. Sturdier and easier to keep snug with the front curved part.

[​IMG]

I had to create a custom pump bracket to be mounted under lower floor of the custom PSU Shroud.

[​IMG]

All 3 individual pieces cut. It took almost 4 hours, as I didn't want to risk to cut the parts to small. So filed each part by hand gradually smaller and smaller until I had the perfect fit.

[​IMG]

Used EKWBs pump template on top of a stand of plate to ensure proper location of the holes in the lower floor.

[​IMG]

Made myself a spacer plate to go beneath the L-shape to make it "float" at the same time I will act as a sturdier mounting plate for the EKWB D5 Plexi pump.

[​IMG]

The lower part of the L-plate with matching holes for the pump.

[​IMG]

All parts created for the lower PSU floor and mounting bracket, L beam, custom pump bracket and standof plate. Hope they will fit :)

[​IMG]

Used some Acrifix 116 to mount some thing acrylic parts 3mm inside the edge of the main floor of the PSU. This is to ensure that the floor aligns with the front part of the PSU Shroud.

[​IMG]

It was worth all those hours filing and sanding. The fit is really good.

[​IMG]

I'm really happy with that result. Looks even better than I imagined when I created the concept sketch in Fusion 360 a few weeks ago. Will be so exciting to put this together.

[​IMG]

The round EKWB D5 Plexi top goes really well with the rounded corners of the PSU Shroud. I'm glad I made the decision to create the more complex shape rather than just a square box.

[​IMG]

Cut the longer vertical part of the L shaped beam that will be part of the red accent. Made measurements for the EKWB Reservoir brackets and drilled 3 holes dead center.

[​IMG]

Brackets mounted, on to next step.

[​IMG]

Think the width harmonize really good with the size of the reservoir.

[​IMG]

Two really sexy products in an even more prominent position mounted on the L bracket. Hopefully it will look amazing once painted Red.

[​IMG]

The entire bracket is mounted 18mm away from the wall. That way I can fit custom addressable LED-strips behind if I want.

[​IMG]

Not a bad result for a full days modding. I like the acrylic look, but feel comfortable that once I paint the parts black, grey and red it will looks even better.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2018
  3. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

I'm exploring the possibility to integrate a hidden RGB LED strip behind a front case cover. Complete with accent sprockets to go with the ASROCK Taichi X399 motherboard.

[​IMG]

Started with creating a 40mm wide (half of the Red backside bracket) angled piece in 3 mm acrylic.

[​IMG]

I plan to use the existing mounting holes of the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900. Drilled 2 holes with the Dremel drill press in the right location.

[​IMG]

Tapped the holes...

[​IMG]

Added a third hole for the tempered glass mounting screw and fastened the bracket to the case. Really snug fit and feels sturdy.

[​IMG]

Created a quick template in Illustrator, printed and fastened with masking tape.

[​IMG]

The Dremel Moto-Saw did the job. One large sprocket to be divided into angled pieces.

[​IMG]

Had to create one more large sprocket to have enough pieces for my mod. Due to the rivets in the corners of the case, I had to add a small indent to the large main piece.

[​IMG]

Something like this is the plan. Testing mounting positions and the overall look. Would be very interesting to hear what you all think about this solution. Got any suggestion?

[​IMG]

The plan is to paint all the pieces black (or dark grey) as the Shroud and paint the edges the same red as the accents. Addressable RGB Led strip goes behind the large piece between the front angle and the radiator.

Got an opinion? Please share...

4. kim

kim hardware addict

very interesting to follow the steps, it might be hard to contest with your Angl3d mod, your work on the PSU shroud is just insane, but this one looks promising as well...I love the red color of the panels and I can't wait to see the whole thing finished with the MDPC-X Italian Red sleeve...(I ordered a length myself :grin:)

Zeuligan likes this.
  5. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

First, thank you so much for your kind words, much appreciated.
    Second, grz on awesome sleeve choice :) I find my self ordering MDPC-X every other week stocking up on new colors. Love working with their new series that is strech-less (so much easier to get good result when sleeving).
    Third, thx for interacting with both my mods, means the world. Hard to know what people think without comments ;)

Thx <3

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I can’t wait to see this one come together. It looks great already!! :D

Zeuligan likes this.
  7. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Thx m8, much appreciated <3

8. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

It's always nice, but time consuming, when you reach the painting stage in a project. I thought about vinyl, but wanted to paint, to check that off my list of things to test and learn. It's also with the paint the accents and the project name will start to come together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One last test fitting of the base part of the PSU shroud, here in base primer, before painting. The edge of the PSU Shroud floor and the PSU Shroud front edge is just due to not properly fastened.

[​IMG]

Made a temporary spray tent in the basement storage and went to work. Two coatings of black and 3 coatings of red.

[​IMG]

It's not hard to undertand why so many builds are done in red and black. It is two beautiful colors.

[​IMG]

Very happy with the finish as it's just basic spray cans. The be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 really looks great in red and black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front panel with door.

[​IMG]

Can't leave the bottom unpainted can I ;)

9. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

With a full EK water block cooled ASUS 1080Ti it feels almost mandatory to do a vertical GPU. One thing I learned with Project Zeuligan is that the back of the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 is a little to flexible to support a GPU without some sag. Therefor I decided to do a full cover plate as a solution for a vertical GPU bracket holder.

[​IMG]

Started with marking out the tooths for the motherboard side and went to work with a hand saw.

[​IMG]

First I cut a hole for the GPU. Then I did a grid of 10mm squares for one size of holes. This is also something I feel makes a difference when creating items like this. Specially when you do it by hand. Two different sizes of holes will make it look more unified AND will easier mask any small miss-placement of the holes.

[​IMG]

3,2mm holes with the Dremel in the Dremel work station drill press. The way I do it and feel works best for me to counter the flexibility of the Dremel is to first position it correctly and do a very very small mark. Then firmly tap the drill a few times before finishing the holes. With constant pressure the drill tend to move to any side, due to the flexibility in the Dremel mounting and the shaft it self.

[​IMG]

I added an other 10mm grid, but 5mm repositioned to get a hole every 5mm. These holes I drilled with a 5mm drill.

[​IMG]

Created a side bracket with cut outs for the case rivets and threaded the holes for the thumb screws. I also added two fastening plates for the GPU end holder plate. That will be painted red.

[​IMG]

Test mounting, feels sturdy and will hopefully keep the GPU perpendicular to the PSU shroud floor.

[​IMG]

The backside clearly shows the tooths of the plate.

[​IMG]

Painted and with the GPU holder plate painted in red. Acrylic and paint goes a long way.

10. kim

kim hardware addict

wooh, paint job looks so perfect...:clap:I really like your modding

Zeuligan likes this.
  11. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

Thank you very much Kim. Much appreciated.

12. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

keep up the good work. It is looking promising

13. zak

zak Build Clean people, build clean

Is that Matte? Did you clear over it?

I just finished painting mine, and it WAS IMPOSSIBLE to do a black spray can gloss, that comes out without any flaws. But matte was easy. Im just curious what you used. I wish someone had told me about krylon fusion SATIN black, its right in between a semi gloss and matte, and is more scratch resistant than matte and a little darker too. I didnt discover it untill after I finished painting.....

14. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

15. Zeuligan

Zeuligan Minimodder

I'm very honored for the nomination in the ongoing modding category in april.
    I'm also very grateful for the patience of my sponsors and the viewers that still follow me. I'm finally back and I will also reveal the finished project before I move on with modding (yes).

Hope you like it and as always, feedback, thoughts or questions? Just fire away :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]