1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi So, what are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 29 Apr 2014.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Project Cars 2. Completed a few seasons starting off with Go karts, which in VR is such great fun!
    Carried on with open wheelers, which was a right challenge, from Formula Rookie, to Formula C. As you have no downforce with the latter, so jumping to FC after a season with the FR, you have to completely change your driving style, keeping your speed up for maximum downforce and traction, so at mid corner you can feather the throttle for a quick exit. Too slow, and too much throttle will have you in a spin.
    After completing that season, I jumped on to Formula Renault for some DRS goodness.
    Open wheelers, slicks, and a wet track with puddles, is sooo much fun... Not! But have to say I'm very impressed with how the game handles the track when wet, and as the race continues, the track starts to dry up where the opponents have been, leaving some nice grippy tarmac.

Now doing GT4 with the Awesome Porsche Cayman, which is a bundle of joy. Especially love where I've learnt to blip the throttle and down shift mid corner to kick the back end out, floor the throttle, catching the back end, as you accelerate early out of the corner leaving the opposition behind. :D

This game with VR, a cockpit, the TS-XW Racer, and Jack Spades Custom FFB is great fun! :)

2. veato

veato I should be working

If you want to test one you could always pop round!

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

If you think PSVR is good, then you should step it up and try out the Oculus Rift, as I'm sure that will blow you away, especially in Project cars 2 and Lone Echo. ;)

Also from many reviews I read, I was looking at getting the T300 or TX base, but as it turns out, the motor gets warm, and the FFB is halved, after a period of time. So just bare that in mind.

Going from a G25 to Thrustmasters flagship TS-XW Racer, it's down to, do you want a heavy feeling wheel with the odd vibrations, and lots of clipping (Or reducing the FFB to prevent clipping and lose other details) or do you want to feel everything the car is doing, from tyre slip, to bumps in the road, suspension travel, to feeling the downforce working, or the wheel becoming light as you go over the peak of the hill? (Game dependent).

The other questions is, if it's just for Console, then the games you are most likely playing are Arcade types and work well with controllers, so none of the above will matter. It's down to if you want a close to real driving experience or just some fun.

The G29 has less torque than the G25, so I can only imagine that the FFB won't be as good as the former. :)

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Just not interested in going PC, really. I got rid of the gaming PC 10 years ago and haven't looked back once, and ~£2500 would pay for a bunch of track days.

I had read that on the T300 as well, along with general reliability issues - I'm unlikely to be using it for more than a couple hours at a time, but it is a put off. I'm most likely to end up with the G29 anyway though, considering that once the shifter is added to the T300RS-GT it's over double the cost of the G29 which seems to regularly drop to £150 for wheel, pedals and shifter. I'd be tempted to pick up a T-GT if one cropped up at a notable discount though, as that seems pretty uncompromised and the "chassis feedback" thing (not sure what to call it, but it sending road-feel vibrations into the seat/chassis) seems like it would be a nice addition as well - no way I'll be spending £800 on it though

Why am I more likely to be playing arcade games on consoles... just "because PCMR"? I'm playing GT Sport at the moment which is surely more sim than arcade, though have been playing less on account of the frustration through the lack of finesse possible with a controller. Once I get wheeled up I'll be picking up Assetto Corsa and PC2 also.

Not to be dismissive, but not sure any of this at any level, even proper full-motion racing sims, is really "close to a real driving experience"

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Still Dirt Rally. Still BF4.

I can now do Sweet Lamb (long) in under 6 minutes (dash cam view, all assists off) on four bottles of pale ale and a >10 year old Logi Momo wheel. *Burp*

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's your choice. I only mentioned about the Oculus, as you stated about the low resolution and details on PSVR.

As I've owned both the G25 and the TH8A shifter, I will tell you that it's leagues ahead in feel and quality. So spending the extra for a more realistic shifter is worth it.
    I wouldn't buy any wheel related to Forza or GT. It's just over priced.

GT Sport and Forza 7 are more arcade racing than a real racing sim. Assetto Corsa and PC2 are more of a racing sim.

Once you start to play proper racing sims like iRacing, Race room etc. Then it starts to get closer to real life racing with laser scanned tracks of accuracy within 2mm. But as sim racing advances, it's only going to get better.

F1 teams are using sim setups to practice learning tracks too...

This video may educate you, that we're closer than you think. ;)

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It's more of a case of looking forward to VR 2.0 than just wanting greater fidelity - whether it's PSVR or Oculus or Vive, we're still dealing with 1st gen products. I've used a Vive in a racing sim setup and it was better than PSVR naturally, but not necessarily a step change, but what I'm looking forward to is more the jump that only comes with time and a new breed of hardware - like 4k HDR 120fps sort of stuff.

The shifter with the G29 is a plastic toy for sure, but then I'm not sure if it's worth another £200+ (or more than double) just to have something that feels a bit nicer. I can't quite decide if it's something that would really bother me... I have a tendency of over-researching things and ending up in a sledgehammer/nut scenario, i.e. in this case spending a grand on a wheel and seat just because I'm frustrated with a mere controller - but at least I'm aware of it so can catch myself out ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing sims, they're a lot of fun and undoubtedly useful for learning a track, but you can scan a track to within a micron and perfectly simulate car physics, weather etc, and it's still not a patch on the experience of actually driving a car around a track. I don't think I need educating - I'm drawing on my own experience here from both ends. I've done laps in a simulated F1 car around a variety of notable tracks in a "real" sim, motion and all. Even just ragging a supermini around quiet country roads is a more thrilling experience than lapping an F1 car at Spa in "proper-sim" VR. You're missing two key ingredients: actual Gs for one, but more importantly fear/danger - you can't simulate either, for now anyway.

8. oscy

oscy Modder

Get ready for an unspectacularly mediocre experience that's kinda ok but nothing happens really, and it's all kinda familiar.

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Almost finished my replay through Pillars of Eternity in getting ready for Deadfire.

One of my friends also gifted me Persona 5 for my PS4 so I've just started giving that a go, never played a Persona game before so I'm utterly confused about the plot going into it but the characters and gameplay are decent so I'm enjoying giving it a spin.

Have to agree with the Andromeda experience, I went into it with very low expectations and while I had some enjoyment with parts of the game it ended up being a very lacking story with a major nuisance from the amount of loading screens... after about 6 hours of trying to get into the game, I got bored and uninstalled it.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Rise of the Tomb Raider

I've been meaning to do a replay of this for a while now. Doing it on extreme survivor, because why not? Makes things far more tense!

Guest-44432 likes this.
  11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I'm about 8 hours in at the moment, and so far I'm enjoying myself. It doesn't quite have that grand space operatic feel of its predecessors, but it's recognisably a Mass Effect game and that's good enough for me.

12. oscy

oscy Modder

Finished Yakuza 6.

The real-time 10-year (and 7-game) journey of a man growing old and a little girl growing up.

Damn.

What now? Oh yeah, Kiwami 2 in 3 months!

13. suenstar

Cleared off some of my PS4 backlog and picked up the Yakuza games.
    I decided to start by playing Yakuza 0 as a few blogs & videos have said it's a good place to start if you're new to the story, also got Yakuza Kiwami and 6: Song of Life installed and ready to play.
    I'm on Chapter 4 at the moment of Yakuza 0.

Also just started Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire on the PC as the pre-load got unlocked yesterday... so I guess between the three Yakuza games and that, that's going to be my gaming time taken up for a bit.

14. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I'm still playing Monster Hunter: World. Seriously, if you don't have a lot of money to throw at games, this is a real investment. I'm at 200hrs played time now and I didn't even really enjoy it at first (I still don't like the idea that we kill everything for "research"). They keep adding events and free DLC, there's always something to do! I'm close to finally completing all my optional quests now, but I'm pretty sure at least 1 of them will spawn more optionals!

Back to Destiny 2 again now as well, enjoying the new content. The DLC Campaign was short & sweet, but OMG they have added so many things to find and collect now! As a collectaholic this is dangerous for my free-time! :eeek:

Trying to hold off on Stardew Valley until a friend finishes his God of War streams so we can try the multiplayer, but I really want to play it again! I might try and sneak a bit of playtime in when I'm supposed to be sleeping...

15. suenstar

Needed a break from playing too much Yakuza, so I've started a game on the new God of War now.
    Finding the controls are taking a bit of getting used to but the visuals and story are worth the effort.

16. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Hopping back into Battlefield 1 now and again, Battlefield V to be announced May 23.

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Had 1000+ hours on BF3 then just left IV and 1. Not sure why. Maybe V will peak my interest again.

Any idea on the setting?

18. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Would love to see a return to 2142 era, that game had my life

19. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I would like to see WW2

20. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Started playing Mother 3 again today after somehow forgetting about it for a few weeks.

I can't get over how deeply weird and fascinating this game is. It goes from goofy silliness to some very dark places and back to goofy in a matter of minutes (and somehow it works).
    One moment you're kissing mermen to get air while diving underwater and the next you're confronted with unsettling drug-induced memories(?) of child abuse and the fear of secretly being disliked by your friends and family... And right now I'm purchasing home-made dumplings from a mole cricket in a tiny market stall.
    This game genuinely has it all.

Last edited: 20 May 2018