1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EK rad screw holes and screws

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Hitman, 17 May 2018.

1. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

Anyone had issues with the tapping of the screw holes on EK rads? I went to install an EK EX240 rad last night, and all of the holes on one side have not been made big enough, not even the supplied screws fit.

I've sent a message to EK to see if they can do anything about it, but it was purchased 'new' from eBay so not sure if they'll fix it. If I need to fix it myself, could I just retap the holes? And is there a way I can do it without buying any tapping tools?

Second question - I'm going to mount the fans between the case and the rad, with a D5 pump/Res combo attached on the other side of the rad. The supplied screws only go into that rad about 1 - 2mm after passing through the case and fans. It looks like I'd need 35mm screws for this as opposed to the 30mm ones they supply. Am I correct in thinking EK uses 6-32, so I'd need 35mm 6-32?

2. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

I once had an EK PE240 radiator, and I ended up re-tapping the holes from that - pardon my english - crappy 6-32 thread to a standard M4. 6-32 is something they use in the US, whereas pretty much everywhere else in the world they use the M-standard, at least I wasn't able to find ANY 6-32 screws here in Denmark, and not even eBay was able to help me. I would be careful of using screws with 7 mm of excessive thread due to the risk of punching through the fins or, even worse, one of the channels. Alternatively you could shorten them with a metal file or a dremel

3. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

I'm starting to think the same, I just retap them all to M3 or M4. A cheap tapping tool is £5 locally so its not too expensive to do.

4. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

You won't be able to thread them as M3 because 6/32 is already bigger. M4 would be your only option, but I'm not sure there's enough material available to make a new thread. Can you not just force a 6/32 screw through the hole? Line it up with some kind of support and apply a steady pressure to see if the screw will take?

5. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

I tried but it wouldn't work :(

Luckily its an EX so you can move the ports from one side to the other. What I ended up doing was moving the ports to the side without the EK logo/text, as the holes on the side with the logo/text were okay.