1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Best cooler for 5960x?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buzzons, 1 Jun 2018.

1. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Hey all,

What would everyone recommend for cooling an overclocked 5960x? It's running at 4.3GHz // 1.270volts (to try and be stable) but temps are hitting ~90c with a H100i GTX (and two Phanteks ph-f120mp fans on it) when under heavy workloads.

Sadly I don't think I can put fans on both the top and bottom of the H100i rad as there's very little clearance between the bottom of it and the heat sinks on the top of the Asus x99 deluxe motherboard

The case has mountings for a 3x120 or 3x140 fan set up too so what would people recommend?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You can either try a 360 AIO (they are all pretty much the same within about 3c of each other) or you could go custom water. 4.3 is usually the limit on those, especially if it is an early one. Later ones were cooler and could clock better.

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

I've done custom cooling before and it really isn't that much fun :( -- would any air cooler fair better than a 360?

4. Vault-Tec

Not really. The NH-D15 is about on par with a tip top 240 cooler, but 360 definitely goes a step further IMO. The biggest bonus about 360 rads? you can run the fans on a medium speed.

If you went with this you could add your GPU, given it uses QDC.

https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/...OUuTdhW-yp6i7EqPqBQ9NAzzJT7Py0yxoCOvwQAvD_BwE

Plus it's actually cheaper than some 360 AIO.

But yeah, you have an extreme CPU at quite extreme clocks so you really do need to match the cooling to it.

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

I was looking at the alphacool stuff - is it any good? I quite like the idea of being able to expand it to hold another rad if needed.

If I went down the route of more common AIOs such as the Corsair H150i Pro is it still worth changing out the ML fans to something like the Phanteks? (same for the alphacool stuff)

6. Vault-Tec

I have heard of a couple of failures, but not on this unit. Mostly on their GPU coolers.

As for the Corsair? great unit. And no, it's not worth changing the fans. ML means magnetic levitation, so they should last for years and years (given there should be no friction, if I have understood it correctly) unless you don't like how they look. And going back to your original post, no, it is not worth running push/pull either. Push is more than adequate and you would shave off 3c if you were lucky for all of the extra noise. It looks nice though, lol.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Not really worth a change. You won't get massive temp drops, except for custom water.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

My only experience with AIO is the Kraken X61, and it was a good 10C better than the top air coolers (most of which I've owned and tested extensively). Not sure how it would compare with the H100i GTX but I'm inclined to agree with TheMadDutchDude... probably not worth changing unless you get a proper setup with a decent res and pump.

Another alternative would be to slap a couple of 200+CFM server fans on the Corsair, which will almost certainly drop your temps by about 15C. :D

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

The case (http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro.html) can take 1x200mm fan at the top it seems but I'm not really sure how I'd mount it to give the best airflow through the rad.

Oddly looking at this review http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h150i_pro_review,12.html the 3x120mm H150i Pro is slightly worse than the H110i GT (2x14mm) which I don't really understand..?

I've always set up the fans on the rads (Be it in my own loops, or in AIOs) as pull (top of case -> fans (ejecting out of case) -> radiator) -> case) .. would there be a noticeable change if they were in a push configuration?

I've got a couple of spare 120mm fans that I could add to the other side if there's room.. but will a push/pull improve it at all (and do they have to be the same fan as the other side?)

I guess if I can't get the temps down I'll just have to downclock it a little and hope that will help!

Thanks all for the helps of far.

10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Push or pull with a single bank of fans = no difference
    Push/pull config = about a 20% performance boost over a single bank of fans

This might help explain better LINK

11. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Thanks - that's a really good read! It sadly doesn't say if it matters if the fans are identical top/bottom though :( I imagine it probably doesn't matter that much though so long as they spin roughly at the same speed?

12. Vault-Tec

That link is incredibly old, using incredibly out dated fans and stuff. Yate Loon? crikey, that was 12+ years ago.

Things have changed dramatically since then, especially with the dawn of proper SP fans. I have used various P/P setups on my AIOs over the years (dating all the way back to the H50 original) and it has made little difference. This includes a H100 and a H110.

Feel free to try, but don't cry (as an Asrock technician once told me lol)

13. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Fair enough :) I've got some spare fans so I guess it can't hurt to try!

Would be 3xML 120 corsair fans + 3 120 phanteks ones so *shrug* will see what happens.

(I ordered the Corsair H150i Pro to see if it makes a difference over the H100i)

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The reason it’s not significantly better or even slightly worse is simple physics... if you can’t saturate the 240mm worth of rad, adding another 120 won’t do you any good whatsoever. There’s still only a finite amount of heat that can move out of that little block and into the liquid. Moreover, the small and pathetic pump doesn’t move it very fast, though that’s not so much the issue.

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Whilst the fans etc are old, the behaviour of air flow is still the same through rads - push/pull configs make little difference in the scheme of things.

A single bank of quality flavour fans in either push or pull is just as effective, as soon a the coolant reaches it's equilibrium temperature it ain't getting any cooler irrespective.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not even to mention how deep into overkill territory we already are anyway with cooling.
    360 rad + 3x 12cm Corsair ML Pro @ sub 1k rpm = cooling heaven...

17. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Well when it turns up in a couple of days I'll update with temps :D

18. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Cooler finally arrived last night - initial 3h stress test has come back stable with the hottest core hitting 77c with cores between 66 and 77.

config was 2x120mm (2 of the 3 fans that came with it) along the bottom of rad pushing air into it(set to 100%) and 3x120mm (Phanteks ph-f120mp) along the top pulling air out of it (set to 100%) and pump set to max speed.

Sadly couldn't get 3 along the bottom due to one of the large metal heat sinks on the motherboard getting in the way.

Thanks for all the help - looks like the temperatures are much better now and it isn't even that loud :D

Vault-Tec likes this.