1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Can use whatever the hell I want :).

Thanks for the offer but the challenge is for me to do something with it, and I'm going to need to be able to explain everything fully when I present back. I've got a vague idea of what I'm going to do, but it's taking ages to load the data. Besides, this data has come from one of their internal systems so I'm not sure it's a good idea to share it around - I already deleted the github repo I set up because I forgot to include a .gitignore for the source data.

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ok, understand. Personally I would.
    1. read the data using python
    2. create a rest api using Django and DRF
    3. make something fancy using JS on the frontend.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Print 'em out, fold the pages into origami cranes.

They said "cool" or "interesting," they never said "useful."

Mister_Tad, Wakka and MLyons like this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

When you are making guide holes in plasterboard and push a little too hard and the screwdriver goes into the next room :D

Another one for me to fill lmao.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

So... this?

[​IMG]

Guest-23315 and Mister_Tad like this.
  6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A CAT!! A CAT!! NO. A gif from earlier.
    [​IMG]

IanW likes this.
  7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

So is that what you do all day? Just watch youtube? Hah! Caught in the act! At least the cat is working...

8. MLyons

Can you see what's on the cats screen? What if I was on lunch? Checkmate

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Even with VW contributing to sort out an issue that causes the timing chain to trash the pistons (that now need replacing) that they've apparently known about since 2012 i'm still looking at a couple of grand on the car.

Well, that's just super.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Here's where our backgrounds differ then :). My first thought was: "let me get it into a database so I can do some proper data analysis on it - I should be able to get something 'interesting' in Tableau Public". (I can't actually get anything interesting in Tableau Public, since Tableau Public doesn't support connecting to a database :wallbash:, so I've had to use a Tableau Expensive Edition trial... ffs...)

I like this idea better. Shame that my printer's a bit shafted right now :sigh: (needs some new pickup rollers - right now it jams every single time it tries to feed a sheet).

11. MLyons

My method could be done in maybe a day and with bootstrap you could have it showing up and be searchable in a way that looks ok. Then have separate pages for showing analysis done in python.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

...If you know what you're doing with Python, Django/DRF, and JavaScript :thumb:. I don't; I'm not an application/web developer, I'm a database developer, hence why my first thought was "I need to get these ~9000 JSON documents into a database so I can work with it" :grin:. I wasted a lot of time messing about with parsing JSON in Pentaho DI (too much to learn in such a short space of time) and SQL Server 2016+ (doesn't support nested arrays), before settling on a brute-force approach of parsing the JSON files in c# and creating something I can work with (.SQL script files which I can then load into a PostgreSQL instance) - I've done some very basic work in c# in the past, so it's at least somewhat familiar to me.

The smarter move would have been to use a document/NoSQL database like MongoDB, but I simply didn't have time to learn it.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

[​IMG]

MLyons and The_Crapman like this.
  14. theshadow2001

I had a code test for a job. I'm also not a web developer and the test was my first time seeing JSON. I completely fluffed it of course. Still got the job though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MLyons likes this.
  15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That's not life ruining then is it? Quite the opposite!!

16. Vault-Tec

lmfao that's funny as. That must have been exactly what happened, because there was lumps of plaster and dust all over my sodding desk lol.

17. Vault-Tec

I kinda predicted it would happen, but gosh darn it plugging in a Xbox One and then having to go through the rigmarole of the updates. Then the updates of updates, then the game install and the updates. Then the update of updates before you can play. Sod it, after two hours I've just left it to its own devices.

18. theshadow2001

Yeah, not bad for me I suppose. But it's more words of encouragement for Byron. Even if he doesn't do a stellar job, he can still be in contention for the job.

19. MLyons

I mean I've been here over a year and they still haven't worked out I'm just a simple doge looking for treats and don't know how to code. :worried:

IanW likes this.
  20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

We see you commuting in...

[​IMG]

IanW, MLyons and The_Crapman like this.