1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

See the time? MySQL MMM threw a fit and all our websites went down. For those of you who know what Galera is, MMM is the ancient piece of crap that Galera replaces.
    Good thing I was already awake because Faithless - Insomnia and the websites were only down for 5 minutes, tops.

MLyons likes this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Sleep.

Must of been a couple of power surges last night as on two occasions alarms in the area were triggered at about 3 and 330 this morning.

Rude awakening.

Oh and a house we were due another viewing on has been bought.

Oh well, at least we're breathing. #perspective

3. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I just want to climb the stairs to the top of my work, scream to every one that they're all a bunch of useless nasty arseholes and that I quit.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

EDIT: Ahem, ignore that rust...

Numbnuts here rode off while the disc lock still attached to the front disc: *crunch* *grind* *bike lurches forward*.

See that little metal bracket there that's snapped? That'll be £141 please, plus £40 to fit it - assuming the caliper itself isn't actually damaged. Dealer's got me over a barrel though really; the bike is still under Honda warranty, so getting a third-party to do the repairs might cause me issues if I ever have to actually use the warranty.

So. Bike shopping list this month
    • New helmet
    • New gloves
    • Repairs
    • A new disc lock WHICH HAS A GODDAMN REMINDER CABLE SO I DON'T BLOODY WELL DO THIS AGAIN
    At this point I'd have been better off getting a ----ing car for all the money I've had to spend in the last year.

5. adidan

Trust me you wouldn't. Currently having to fork out £2k on ours.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Four and a half years ago we got a used Toyota Yaris, which already had ~77k miles on the clock. It's at 106,000 miles now and we've spent less than a grand on repairs and maintenance - and that includes service & MOT costs. Obviously it doesn't do a huge amount of mileage, but neither does my bike - my commute is about 7 miles each way. Between insurance excesses/costs, new bike deposit, new safety gear, puncture repairs, and now this, I've had to spend nearly £2000 on bike stuff in the last year alone.

7. adidan

Our Golf has 40k on it but has suffered a problem apparently known to VW since 2012. They're contributing but still...

We had a Mazda out in NZ, $3500 (about £1750-2000). Over 2 years and barely spent a cent on it, drove around the whole of the south island in it without problems. Sold it for $3000 when we left, still a cracking car.

Think we'll go back to Mazda next time. First and last VW.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I fully acknowledge that we've been lucky with our Yaris, despite the fact that it seems to drink oil... It'll be a shame when it's time to part with it, but it's getting to the age now where Big Expensive Mechanical Things could start going wrong, leaving us with Big Expensive Repair Bills. Not long to go until we've paid it off...

9. adidan

I think you bought well, like with our Mazda. It had done a shed load of miles before and after we bought it.

I think that's the key, buy second hand with a good run under its belt with a decent service history and it should just keep going.

Think i'll try that method again.

As for bikes, unfortunately never owned one, but I imagine it's hard to compare car/bike as you're paying a premium for it being a bike - that is it's not like driving a car, it's a bike, different experience and so I guess you have to factor that in too if you know what I mean.

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hearing the news about X passing. Only 20 years old. Has really messed up my mood. RIP

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Yes, not good - controversial guy, but didn't deserve that.
    My son was quite cut up about it when he told me about it over the weekend.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I don't think this GPU is pining for the Fjords...

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Financial Ombudsman Service forms...

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Another one I had never heard of before. Then I go listen to his music and jesus, I want to cut my wrists.

It's no wonder so many young people are "suffering" from depression these days. Stuffing Xanax all day long is not the best way to deal with it, it only slows you down and makes it all worse.

I will stick to Radiohead and David Gray tbh.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

He was a very troubled individual. Musicians have been making music like his for years. If you listen to his interviews he's actually a very smart guy. Just from the wrong area.

Do you not "suffer" from a lot of things? Doesn't sound nice does it? Seems a little hypocritical. Depression is a very serious issue. Although I will admit, I had the same feeling towards it as you at a time. Then I saw my best friend with his wrists hacked to pieces and blood all over his room. Stuffing Xanax isn't the solution and it can indeed lead you down a very dark path that is extremely difficult to climb out of put it gives you a temporary boost. It's not common to drugs. Look at anything ranging from alcohol to people putting themselves into debt for short term happiness over material objects.

bawjaws likes this.
  16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So you intend to avoid music to top yourself to... by listening to music to top yourself to... gotcha... why not go the whole hog and shove some Smiths on.

[also sarcasm].

17. Vault-Tec

It's the in thing these days isn't it? taking Xanax and being depressed. You can even buy jewellery

[​IMG]

I just don't get kids these days. At all. I mean I know I was a moody teenager and all but seriously?

It just seems like young people these days want to escape the world. Like, completely. He died the day after making that video, BTW.

Red - that is about as dark as I can go. I can't stand The Smiths.

18. MLyons

Are you genuinely trying to be as stupid/edgy as possible?

One, what looks to be aliexpress product. Great stuff.

You don't understand how someone from a different background could be feeling differently?

I'm aware of who lil peep was.

bawjaws likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

No. I am perfectly aware of the current climate, given that I lived in the USA for ten years and 80% of my friends are from the USA. It is a disease over there. Then again, what am I saying? the entire country is diseased with drug misuse. Or should I say drug use, completely legal of course. The doctors out there used to throw it at me when I had health insurance. I was even offered Oxy Contin for a knee injury. I then went on to squash one of my vertebrae and the pain over the next year was so horrendous I asked a doctor in the UK to prescribe me O-C. He laughed, and said "Blimey you would have to be dead or close to it for me to prescribe you that".

You also need to bear in mind there are more things at play here. His handywork on women, for example.

He then went on to tell her he was going to rape her with a barbecue instrument, then as he rubbed it on her thigh she passed out.

Which really, seriously, is not a very nice thing to do. So you will have to excuse the obvious lack of empathy from me (sorry that is just how I am) + the bit where he was a woman beating wally.

No matter how sick I have been, EVER, I have never raised my hand to a woman.

Just remember the three rules of not being shot and killed.

1. Don't borrow money from someone.
    2. Don't mess with another man's woman.
    3.Drugs, and in the involvement in.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jun 2018
  20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

@Vault-Tec , your not having empathy for this particular individual is fair enough, but your earlier post banging on about depression being fashionable reads a lot like you not having empathy for people suffering depression in general.

I would have thought that given your own circumstances you might have been more sympathetic. Who are you to say whether others are "really" suffering from mental illness? Sorry, but I cannot stand that attitude and it's one of the reasons why people continue to struggle with mental illness without adequate support.