1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Finding Desktop (horizontal) full ATX cases or larger

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave_c, 21 Jun 2018.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Hey all, Im looking at transfering my components into a new case as i currently have a thermaltake X5 (which i initially bought with the mind of modding it, it never happened) and it is currently taking up WAY too much space. (seriously i could park my car in it).

I've been looking for a horizontal PC case which i can store on my desk but im having some trouble finding anything. It needs to be big enough for a 1080Ti (as i am upgrading to that at the same time) and 3x 3.5" Hdds and a 2.5", though i could potentially buy an external enclosure/NAS in addition and plug them in there so flexable on this one. No optical required as i have an external and rarely use it.

The rest of my specs are in my signature.

So before i give up and buy a tower case, can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of a good horizontal case?

appreciate any help anyone can offer, thanks.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If your x5 takes up too much space, why do you want a horizontal case that would have a bigger footprint and take up more space on your desk?

Fractal node 605 fits the bill. Although I can't find any in stock anywhere :rollingeyes:

Last edited: 21 Jun 2018
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If it absolutely positively has to be a desktop/horizontal case then it's the FD @The_Crapman mentioned or the SilverStone GD09... anything smaller in that type of thing is going to be mATX or mITX.

But even a bog-standard tower is going to be smaller in pretty much every direction than the X5.

EDIT: You also have the not-quite as mahoosive as the X5 but still pretty dang big Cosair Air 540

Last edited: 21 Jun 2018
  4. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Thanks for the feedback guys, @The_Crapman i want a desktop as i can then put a filing cabinet under my desk and have the PC on the desk, there are shelves above where i would put the PC which i would have to remove for a tower. and just so you know, a standard horizontal case STILL wouldnt have a larger footprint. The X5 is the size of 2x large tower cases side by side.

@RedFlames appreciate the suggestions, will take a proper look at them.

5. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Looks like the Fractal node 605 isnt made anymore and the GD09 hasnt got very good reviews so i think ill end up with a tower. :/

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You still have the Air 540, but supply of them seems to be a little thin on the ground now...

7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest