1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Oil filter woes

Discussion in 'General' started by Telkman, 29 Oct 2003.

1. Telkman

Telkman What's a Dremel?

Today was oil service time for my fiesta - I emptied out the oil fine and then came to the oil filter.

Its in a right awkward place which doesn't help, but its stuck fast. Can't get it off by hand or with a strap wrench. My plan is to smash a screwdriver through from one side to the other in the morning and use it as a lever to get it out.

That is of course unless you fellas have any bright ideas on how to get it off...

Telkman

2. KinGvsKinG

KinGvsKinG What's a Dremel?

was the engine still hot? gotta let it cool. also, try using a belt, worked for me in the past.

3. Telkman

Telkman What's a Dremel?

I'll try a belt, it might grip better than the strap wrench :)

4. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

nowt wrong with the screwdriver method but i like my engine, open the bonnet & there the oil filter is, with tons of space around it :D

5. Telkman

Telkman What's a Dremel?

I've changed the one on my mums car before - thats sat right at the front with masses of room, easy to do. Damn ford :(

6. RaptorLord

RaptorLord What's a Dremel?

they make tools that go over the end of an oil filter (fits in the grooves and stuff on the end) that you can get a socket wrench into to take that out of there. I suggest you spend the 5-10 quid and pick one up..

7. -Rx-

-Rx- What's a Dremel?

Use the screw driver.... much cheaper.

The person that last put it on probably forgot to oil the rubber seal....

8. Telkman

Telkman What's a Dremel?

All done now - the screwdriver worked a treat (if a little messily) thanks for the comments lads :)

9. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

Good work fella - the screwdriver method is the one I always use - and I have a Mini - not a lot of room to work. Anyway, punching holes in stuff is much more fun than using proper tools!
    :rock:

10. RaptorLord

RaptorLord What's a Dremel?

hacks! all hacks I say! :dremel:

11. -Loay-

-Loay- What's a Dremel?

My dam oil filter is behind the engine, so the only way I can get to it is from underneath, and jacking a car up and sitting under it using a strap tool, caussing the car to shake and jolt aint fun :eeek: Dam Jap car's... just lucky my car's fast.. otherwise I would have gotton rid of it agges ago :p

Loay.

12. Telkman

Telkman What's a Dremel?

Mines at the back too - you can see it from above but theres not room for anything to fit through and get a grip on it.

Hopefully I put enough oil on it for it to be easy to get off next time :rolleyes:

Tags: