1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sounds like my rig prior to upgrading. Mine was the mem controller in the CPU in the end :(

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Latest is something shorting out somewhere, possibly in the PSU. Given it turns off if i give the case even a minor nudge.

The PC is a bodge of what working parts i could salvage from mine any parents' pcs after both went titusp.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"The results of the latest ALCS research, Authors' Earnings 2018: A Survey of UK Writers, showed that overall, the earnings of working writers continue to decline sharply."

Hooray(!)

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Suppose this is due to the shift from text to video

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, it's been going on since long before YouTube was a thing. (Also, videos still need writers!)

On that topic, am I the only one who can't stand video presentations? I read way faster that you can talk, and having to watch a half-hour video instead of speed-reading a written article in about two minutes drives me nuts. It's fine as supplementary content, to highlight something with a hands-on demonstration, but as the sole information source it absolutely blows.

6. MLyons

I feel like it depends on the topic. Want to talk about a robot you've built that blows up sales rep when they get near your building? Good use of video, talk about it then show me it blowing one up. Explaining why NGINX is using the wrong SSL cert? Probably better in a text format.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Because it got loaded before or after the good cert.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Don't go saying stuff like that, selfish ****er will probably smoke more if you mention stuff like that...

9. Gareth Halfacree

Y'see, that's my point: video is great for entertainment. Want to see someone blow things up, Colin Furze style? YouTube e'rry day. But for information, it sucks. If I want to find out a particular thing, I can either skim-read a text-based article and find it in seconds or I can shuttle back and forth along a half-hour video for ten minutes. "Hi, guys, welcome to..." <fast forward> "So that's why..." <rewind> "In the box there's..." <fast forward> "Thank my sponsors... <fast forward> "Power distribution..." <rewind> "Remove the top panel..." <rewind> "Is held on by four T4 screws." <- The information I actually wanted - even assuming the information I actually wanted is in the video, because that's not guaranteed and I can't just Ctrl+F "screws" to find out.

Then there's the fact that the video won't show up on a Google search for "what screws hold on the side panel of the XP2248 SuperWidget Pro", and you're left with utter pointlessness.

Video for entertainment and short hands-on demonstrations of particular topics alongside text; text for everything else.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2018
    IanW likes this.
  10. Canon

Canon Reformed

Lithium battery in my 2 stroke just pooped itself. stone. cold. dead.

edit: also, trying to improve my lines on a 37.7 mile track and the so called "Dynamic racing line" is so far off in places it totally ruins a lap, but for certain sections I still need the pointer.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2018
  11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

New laptop was sent via Parcelforce 24 hours yesterday, but the tracking info is stuck on "prepared for delivery" instead of "out for delivery". Wanted to get it charged up and leech the fast work wi-fi to get everything downloaded and updated. C'mon Parcelforce, do me a solid!!

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Works bbq begins in 90mins. It just started raining...

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

So, bbq under gazebo or brolley, this is Britain man, be prepared!

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Rain held off, my manager is now in the stocks for a wet sponge in the face or 10.

MLyons likes this.
  15. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

RIP Shinobu Hashimoto, a legend
    (Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Harakiri, Hidden Fortress, Sword of Doom, Throne of Blood, The Bad Sleep Well, ...)

Last edited: 20 Jul 2018
  16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Moving continent is so damn tiring and soooooooooo daaaaamn expensive. Rent a car for the first week and a place to live until we can move into the rental on the 1st, boom, there goes more than a grand.

IanW, adidan and MLyons like this.
  17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Let me tell you a story...

I recently moved house but find, despite being in an area equipped for fibre broadband, there were no slots available on our local cabinet. This was a source of great frustration, as it meant I'd be stuck with a 6 meg ADSL connection.

Lo and behold, the local open reach engineer (who lives two doors away) found that the previous tenants hadn't cancelled their phone line and that was probably tying up a fibre slot on the exchange cabinet. I managed to contact the previous tenants, and they promptly cancelled the phone line.

I call my ISP who confirms there is now a free slot on the cabinet, and I place an order for a lovely 80 meg fibre connection on July 5th.

Fast forward twelve days and I get the email that the broadband change is now complete, so I plug in the new router and set everything up. Something isn't right - I'm still getting ADSL speeds - so I ring the ISP and, after a lot of back and forth, we find out that their system cancelled their order to Open Reach two days after I place the the order for fibre.

I've spent the last six days on and off the phone trying to get this resolved PDQ and find out, today, that in the intervening time someone else has taken the cancelled slot on the cabinet - so now I can't have fibre. Fair to say, I lost my **** and read them the riot act, because it was their **** up that means I cannot get fibre unless BT upgrade the cabinet. All I've had is numerous variations on "we're really very sorry, but there's nothing we can do".

Can you even begin to imagine just how ****ing furious I am right now?

18. Canon

Canon Reformed

Is that a joke..?

If you're actually reading some poor customer service rep the riot act because there was a mix up and you have ended up with a slower internet connection than you wanted, stop.

If you're so "f***ing furious" right now, I think you've got to consider what the real issue is and how important your internet speed is.

I can't help but imagine how that reads to someone that can't afford to buy dinner or can't afford to buy their child the game they want.

I'm sure if you keep a cool head and play nice they will be much more inclinced to find a resolution and everybody will be happy, in time.

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Given the way David has been messed about, I think most people are going to be very peed-off.

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

I don't particularly understand why, the problem will go away, it will get resolved, nobody is going to die.

I don't ever see a need to get upset with someone over an issue like this, it's obvious mistakes have been made, but welcome to life on planet earth, make yourself comfortable.