1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hilliary vs. Trump: The 2016 US Presidental Election

Discussion in 'Serious' started by rainbowbridge, 27 Sep 2016.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

He forgets/doesn't care about -

The only time Article 5 [collective defence, i.e. coming to a NATO member's aid if they are attacked] has been invoked was after 9/11

Members of Montengro's armed forces are currently in Afghanistan, fulfulling the collective defence obligations under article 5...

...depite Montenegro not joining NATO until 2017, 16 years after 9/11.

adidan likes this.
  2. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

A) A shitpost (and later copypasta meme) from an anonymous 4chan denizen in 2010
    [​IMG]

B) An official message from the President of the United States of America in 2018
    [​IMG]

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'd make a joke about what he is deflecting from, but I would need to hire 666 assistants to narrow the list down....

4. RedFlames

Manafort's trial starts today iirc.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Needs Rouhani to post back this meme:

[​IMG]

Please God, make it happen... :p

6. Pliqu3011

While I do hate the man's guts, I used to believe calling Trump a fascist was at best a bit dramatic and not particularly productive in any discussion. Cody Johnston makes a pretty good case though why Trumpism could genuinely be considered a kind of American fascism, an ideology that lies outside of the traditional left-right spectrum.
    These are just 2 parts of what is supposed to become an in-depth series on the subject.

Umberto Eco's essay on Ur-fascism is a highly recommended read for anyone by the way! It's extensively referenced here, along with Robert Paxton's Anatomy of Fascism (which I haven't read yet).

7. RedFlames

Nah he just need to tweet screencaps of trump's past tweets -

[​IMG]

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There is that, but also new connections of Butina surfaced, the net is closing in on more Roger Stone associates, the disastrous defence of Trump by Giuliani, the ever increasing number of federal investigations into Ryan Zinke, the failure to meet the Court imposed deadline for reuniting separated families, FISA documents and somehow that list is nowhere complete.

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  9. RedFlames

...you forgot the partridge in a pear tree

Anfield likes this.
  10. Pliqu3011

And just to think that, if Trump hadn't become president by pure luck, all these shady figures surrounding him would've probably gotten away with their crimes too.

TheBlackSwordsMan and Anfield like this.
  11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/03/politics/trump-administration-aclu-deported-parents/index.html

Yep, you read that correctly.
    The Trump admin incarcerated kids and parents apart from each other, deported the parents and then when ordered by a Court to reunite them wanted to pass the buck for reuniting the families to non government organisations.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If in doubt go on twitter and accuse your kids of a serious crime:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1026084333315153924

Yep, the orange Turnip just confessed in public that his Son met with a foreign agent to get dirt on Clinton and that his previous statement about having discussed adoptions was exactly as misleading as it was always assumed to be.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

He's right though isn't he? Isn't it perfectly legal in America to receive ill gotten information, it could even be legal over hear (idk).

I know receiving stolen goods can see you in front of a judge but where does the law stand on receiving stolen information, would you have to prove intent or that the person knew the information was stolen?

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nah, he is wrong:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2018/08/05/trump-tweeted-what/

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Is it my misunderstanding, or did he just drop his son in it to save his own skin?

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I tend to distrust newspapers views on things (nothing personal). Everything I've read seems to indicate that it may be illegal, yes campaign finance laws prohibit accepting anything of value from a foreign government or foreign national but IMO you'd have a hard time proving that he a) accepted it (especially when the same 'evidence' has him clearly stating he didn't accept it), and b) that the information had financial value.

Even trying to prove he broke laws on conspiracy would be hard to prove as you're talking about trying to prove that he planned to commit an illegal act or that he, personally, worked together in the illegal act.

At the end of the day the legality of it would be down to the courts and i can't see a sitting president being hauled before a judge, even if he was it would probably go his way as IIRC Americas highest court has a majority of Republican judges in it now, thanks to Trump.

EDIT: BTW none of ^^that^^ means i personally don't think he's guilty, he's as guilty as sin IMO but proving he is in a court of law, or in the Muller investigation (does that even have legal authority), is another matter.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2018
  17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The tweet isn't so much about implicating Trump himself, but rather how he effectively confessed that his son committed crimes.
    If you want to tie it to Trump himself you indeed end up with a lot of ifs and maybes which is the media is full of those.

But:
    Don Jr had admitted the meeting took place, then went before congress to testify about the meeting and now Trump contradicted the statements that Don Jr had made before congress. Why does that matter? Telling porkies to congress is a felony all on its own, the meeting could have been to discuss Origami and it wouldn't matter, Don Jr would still be a felon.
    And what Court in America would not consider the public tweet of the Potus as evidence?

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

True, and again I'm not disagreeing with your opinion but Trump throwing someone under the bus, lying, deliberately obfuscating and everything else his latest twitter storm exposes isn't really telling us anything we didn't already know.

It seems no matter what he says or does some people are entirely happy to go along with his charades, as Trump himself told people what you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening, it seems people are happy to take him at his word and suspend their disbelief.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

20. RedFlames