1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Content Suggestions *Updated*

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Maki role, 11 Jul 2018.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Hellooooooo! Well there was a previous version of this thread but given the time gap and changes since then, it seemed like a wise idea to start afresh.

Now that we've had some time to get stuck into the modding content on the site, I'd be really interested to hear what folks would fancy being featured in the future.

Here are a few suggestions that are in the pipeline already, so that you have a better idea of what to expect:

• Designing and making distro plates - Given the widespread access to CNC and CAD/CAM software nowadays, this just seems sensible.
    • Following a scratch build from start to finish - we're obviously doing a casemod currently with the 1000D, but scratch building is where my heart lies so I would love to do a "proper" one again
    • Photographing your rig - No real excuse for bad photos nowadays, this also extends into the project logs, not only final photos.
    • Themed builds - playing with the idea of trying things like a scrap build or challenge ones that have to adhere to particular rules. Think it could be fun doing one where total expense is say <£50 or something.
    That's just a sprinkling of ideas, anything that strikes your fancy?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

subtitled videos :p

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

YES YES YES YES YES. I've suggested this since the start. Start with a dog rough case (or an employees corsair air 540 :worried:) and mod it from start to finish doing a video for each part.
    A 1 day/ budget build off between you and someone else would be great content.

Blame @Dogbert666

4. RedFlames

Maybe some Temperature-controlled servo type stuff... vents that open above a certain temp or similar...

Maybe do a neon sign style bit of tubularness in lieu of a reservoir.

...maybe look at less conventional [by pc standards] building materials.

Rather than 'yay another hardlined, watercooled box... but this time in green'...

Bad dog...bert...

MLyons likes this.
  5. Maki role

M8 that ain't a scratchbuild

Ooh I like these. I mean I intensely dislike servos etc. in builds for the most part but that's personal preference, could be interesting to try learning the skills needed for it. Also, if I can get this particular idea that I've got floating around in my sketch book off the ground, then there will most definitely be a build featuring a very different material and form to the norm.

6. RedFlames

What went through my head tbh was 101 things you can do with a rPi or Arduino to spice up yer mod. the servo-actuated vents was somthing i've wanted to but have lacked the everything to do.

...also maybe a thing on transporting/moving your modded pc, been plenty of horror stories on that front.

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I meant a build from start to finish with each bit being documented like a build log but in a how to format. Didn’t realise you meant properly from scratch.
    I believe we actually did something about this recently.

8. RedFlames

How about a run down/review of the various methods of painting/colouring metals/plastic

Paint, Powder coat, Anodizing, vinyl wrap/sticky-backed plastic etc. Pros and cons of each and whatnot.

IIRC there was something on the matter in CPC a while back [a long while back]. but things may have changed.

9. Maki role

I like that idea a lot actually, given the depth of the subject it could make a nice little series.

RedFlames likes this.
  10. RedFlames

I like that my suggestions are well-received, smidge sad i appear to be the only one making them.

11. Canon

Canon Reformed

<£100 materials + no power tools = profit.

12. Maki role

As in under £100 for the entire build including components or just the Modding materials?

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

This has already been done to death by channels like LTT.
    I do like that - to see what can be done without having to spend loads of money to mod or to see what can be done without having to resort to CAD, plasma cutters, CNC or 3D printing. A mod with easily available materials using just the tools that most of us have in our sheds/garages.

14. Canon

Canon Reformed

Just the materials, case from scratch. Bit of an imagination tester, I mean...all I can think of is bending a few sheets of aluminium and using rivets. Also I wonder would a hole saw work with a hand drill and some amphetamines?

15. Maki role

I mean sure I can give it a go, but given CAD is free I feel there is no legitimate excuse not to use it.

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

That's a fair comment, but the point is to use the limitations to drive your creativity - and not everyone knows how to use Fusion360.

Which does bring up another point - why not a guide to using Fusion360 in modding? Things like importing models, positioning them, routing cooling loops, creating parts etc? Not so much an intro to Fusion360 (there's more than enough of those online), but more specifically targetted to using it in modding.

17. RedFlames

Not everyone has access to it either... that ****'s expensive [not everyone can use/abuse access to the free stufent version you know...].

That's why i'd be more interested in the build on a budget angle...

Not everyone has a shed full of tools [not everyone has a shed]... or easy acess to materials... or deep pockets.

18. Maki role

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists and startups. Where do people get this idea that I always use expensive CAD/CAM?

19. RedFlames

Might want to tell Autodesk that, I did a poke around and it wanted me to stump up £240/yr for it. Hence my comment.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Scroll to "startup".