1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

EE have bumped my LTE broadband cap to 300GB, and I think that might be just enough to get rid of the ADSL slow-lane entirely.

I'll leave it for a few months with the ASDL WAN disabled just to make sure, but it would bring me a great deal of joy to be able to tell Sky to shove it.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I might be in line to "inherit" a dead (PSU's gone kaboom) HP Z440. I've mapped out the bespoke power headers, and with the help of a few other HP unit pinouts, am vaguely hopeful I can make an adaptor to use a regular ATX power supply.

I've no idea why I want this so much, but it seems like a fun project.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  3. Mister_Tad

If you need to fit into a non-ATX-friendly space (looks like it might be slimmer than ATX?), I have a TFX power supply going spare.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

What's a holiday?

5. liratheal

The most annoying thing? It's roughly ATX size. It's just got this screwy dog-leg type rear end, to further make it awkward to fit another PSU. I've stripped the contents out, though, so push comes to shove I can fit the guts of another PSU in there. So long as it's not modular. I can see a CM 700 watt (which is what this unit had originally) on Amazon for £70 or so.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Huzzah! New laptop arrived just in time to fire it up, let Windows do it's initial setup, get Chrome and Steam downloaded and queue up a few game downloads before finishing for the day. Lunch breaks gun be gud next week.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You’re not doing a fresh install to get rid of the bloatware? Boooooo!!!!

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Caught a Lobster, caught a rather large Conger eel :)

Last edited: 22 Jul 2018
  9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Think we've found our wedding venue.
    [​IMG]

It's a little further from the church than we'd wanted unless you use the m6 toll, in which case it's in the half hour time frame, but it looks really nice, they allow external caterers and don't charge an absolute fortune. It's not 'cheap' (what about a wedding is?) but at most a third of the price of the other places we've had quotes for.

Going to go have a look at it today and then got to try and decide on a date.

Edit: visit has been postponed. Both feeling a bit rough today for unknown reasons, maybe just tiredness from the heat. Plus my body's hurting from finally finishing the wall demolition yesterday.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2018
  11. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

What’s cheap about a wedding? We got both of ours (civil plus handfasting), plus the honeymoon, and 2 night stop in Glastonbury, and the rings (both wedding and her engagement) out of a grand...

IanW, MLyons and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  12. The_Crapman

Your wedding cost you as much as you wanted to spend. Bravo. We could get married by an Elvis impersonator who's been ordained online for a tenner and stop of at the chippy on the way home, but that's not what we want. We don’t have a fortune to spend, nor would we if we did, but as soon as you mention the function you're throwing is a wedding, Dollar signs roll into people's eyes and the decimal place is kicked down a notch.

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I know that all too well. I think after all was said and done, rings and such included but not the inclusion of my family flying from the UK to be there as they paid for it themselves ... we were out the best part of $15k.

Weddings are not cheap. However, I was more than delighted to count the gifts and real generosity of our guests. Our wedding venue cost around $7000 before the DJ and such, and we got approx. $5200 in gifts. Insane.

Don’t count on gifts, though. It was a really humble moment to see how much people loved us. We were both incredibly grateful, obviously.

May I be cheeky and ask what your approximate cost is going to be...?

14. The_Crapman

As little as possible :hehe: Probably around £7k all in is the budget and the venue is likely going to cost the biggest part of that. We've both got large immediate families that unfortunately we get on with :rollingeyes: so needs to be a sizeable place, but we'll be able to make savings on a lot of things. My sister in law will do the rings, as she did the engagement ring, my sister will probably do the dress, we know a few florists so should be able to get a good deal on flowers. W
    The biggest saving is getting the catering through someone in my step dad's family for a criminally small amount: carvery buffet for up to 120 people and a hog roast in the evening for up to 150 people for a grand. That's essentially feeding 270 mouths for £3.70 a head, so for once we've got the decimal place going in the right direction. :rock:

IanW likes this.
  15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

16. MLyons

With the fam in the sea
    AFDF996E-E579-426F-A2FD-0AD2FE498E47.jpeg

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Preliminary testing on this laptop going pretty good - currently at 15 mins out of 30 in XTU's stress test with a -.100v offset and happily boosting to the full 3.6Ghz on all cores without breaking 62 degrees.

Plan is to see how low I can get the CPU, lock that in, then move onto the GPU and see what kind of undervolt I can reach with that.

MLyons likes this.
  18. The_Crapman

Finding out there's a 2hour Stewart Lee stand-up special on bb2 on Saturday.

19. Mister_Tad

Sous vide is turning out to be my favourite thing ever.

Pork chops for an hour at 57C last night were insanely good - perfectly meaty and moist. Rump roast has been bathing today at 56.5c for 8.5 hours and even more insanely good - a texture somewhere between steak and smooth foie gras, literally almost spreadable with the flat of a knife.
    Salmon fillets tomorrow, skirt steak lined up for Wednesday. I'm thinking Tuna for Thursday and fillet steak to cap off the week on Friday.

goldstar0011 and liratheal like this.
  20. liratheal

My purchase of Powerwolf - The Sacrament of Sin was accompanied by not thoroughly reading the description.

Why is this awesome?

I didn't know it came with a collection of covers by other bands that I also enjoy (Or now need to check out), and they're pretty good.