1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Computer locking up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by silk186, 21 Jul 2018.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

The computer in my sig:
    i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz w/ hyper 212+
    GA-Z68-UD3H-B3
    MSI 280x 3GB
    Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB

I have been running this very stable for many years. Recently I put a fresh install of win10 on and today it locked up three times. The first time while playing 'Ni no Kuni II Revenant Kingdom'. The computer felt very warm so I opened it up and it had a think layer of dust behind the fan on my heatsink. Pulled it off and gave it a proper cleaning.

Last night I was playing NieR - Automata and it ran smoothly. It was not running Ni no Kuni very smoothly today, it felt a bit laggy. When it locked up I had to hold the power button and it took many tries to get it to boot into windows. I played A Hat in Time for a little while and it locked up again with white horizontal lines on the screen. It took many tries to get it to boot into windows. I reinstalled the AMD drivers.

Boot repair didn't find fix anything, sfc/scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    I've also run windows defender, Malwarebytes and spy bot.

I think my previous overclock was at 4.2. this was reverted by the bios. 4.0 failed, 3.8 held but again it locked with a white screen while watching a video in youtube.

Any ideas on how to identify the problem?
    Could it be software or most likely hardware?

I not planning on building a new computer until I finished my PhD and had started working (6 months to a year). My wife has just replaced her MacBook air (mid-2013) so funds are kind of tight as we are both finishing our PhDs and have a two-year-old. How much I'm I looking at to get a decent CPU/MB/Memory that will be a least a bit of an upgrade on here, £300?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

See anything in Reliability History?

For example I get this a lot atm -

Attached Files:

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

I didn't even know about this feature. Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

I can boot into windows now. Does that mean that the boot file has repaired itself or should I do something to repair it?

4. RedFlames

Today you Learned...

Some of the errors can be a bit vague but -

LiveKernelEvent 141 - usually a GPU [Driver] Hissy fit

As for the other error, the auto-repair may have fixed it but you might want to run SFC to be sure.

If windows is eating itself, check the drive too.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

Running it again. It was a bit worried when it crashed after re-installing the AMD drivers.
    I'm running sfc /scannow again and I will see if the issue persists.
    Hopefully, I don't need to replace my GPU.
    I was concerned that the issue was related to my CPU/MB which would be costly to replace.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

I ran DDU and installed newest drivers and it crashes black screen or horizontal lines every time I start a game.
    I ran DDU again and installed older drivers and I get the same result.
    I ran FurMark and it locked up again.

I'm running Prime95 mixed right now. it's only been about 10 minutes but it seems like the CPU is fine.
    I don't know how well Prime95 tests RAM.

It seems that my 280x is dying.

7. RedFlames

Run memtest or similar to test RAM [you may need to turn off secureboot on some boards to get it to boot fom the usb]

or your gpu is indeed borked...

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

I will try memtest86 just to be sure. That would be an easy one as it has a lifetime warranty.
    It seems likely that I will need to replace my 280x.

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

How dust free is the graphics card? Try stripping it down, cleaning and replacing the thermal paste before spending £££s

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

I pulled the card out and it was pretty clean. I cleaned it and put it back. It locked up as soon as I start a game or benchmark. I removed the card and the computer is stable again.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Fair enough. After I replied to this, I saw your thread in Hardware about new cards, so figured you'd already put the issue to bed.

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

I should have it all sorted in a few days.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  13. silk186

silk186 Derp

I have the new GPU installed and I was having lots of trouble.
    The computer will have frequent passes, it feels like every few seconds the mouse will pause.
    I was having another issue with How to Fix High CPU Usage by Sppsvc.exe (windows software protection) and Realtek HD audio manager wasn't showing up.
    I reset windows 10 and have set nearly everything up this afternoon. The windows software protection is no longer an issue and Realtek HD audio manager is back.

I still have the stuttering issue and I'm thinking it might be CPU temps, idle temps are in the mid 40s.
    I'm thinking to replace the tim on the CPU heatsink as I think it might not be working anymore. It has been on the computer for many years now.
    What is a good budget tim to use? I will try to OC again up to 4.2 on stock voltage with a Hyper 212 EVO.
    Is ARCTIC MX-2 a good budget paste?

Another issue is random snow. I'm not sure if it the GPU, driver or some other issue. I've only noticed it on the monitor and not on my TV.
    I was playing A Hat in Time today for a few hours and things seems to run smoothly. I didn't experience stuttering.
    The computer locked up a few times with a white screen but that seems to be a bug in the game as it would happen after completing a main mission, but not before progress was saved.

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Idle in the mid 40s is absolutely no big deal - it's the load temperatures that you need to be concerned with. What are those hitting?

I'd just grab MX-4, it's only about $8 a tube depending on where you shop, and is one of the very best right now. I have an abundance of the stuff (thanks, Arctic!) and highly recommend it.

silk186 likes this.
  15. silk186

silk186 Derp

I hope the issue is caused by temps, otherwise, I don't know what else to try.

16. silk186

silk186 Derp

I bought a tube of MX-4 on ebay for a few quid. I will see if it makes a difference.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  17. silk186

silk186 Derp

I installed new time and washed the heat sink with water getting a bit cleaner. The system has run idle for the day and I will see if it has resolved any of the issues over the next day or two.

18. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Did you you do the Mem test? Binned a lot of Corsair DDR3 this year and DDR4!

silk186 likes this.
  19. silk186

silk186 Derp

Not yet, I've had a lot going on and forgot about it. I should have time to do it this week.
    Which is the best memtest for my z86 with DDR3? memtest86, memtest86+ or an older version? I think I ran a single pass of one before, but I would like to get the most suitable one and run it overnight.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2018
  20. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I just use 86+ on hirens. I normally go with 1 module at a time and leave for 2 or 3 passes (half an hour).