1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Most ISPs hit by new speed claim guidelines

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Aug 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

Hypnotics will be fine based on my speeds.

jenners likes this.
  3. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

shame the others couldn't copy virgin and up the speed.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Virgin hasn't increased its actual speed; it has increased the speed it uses in its advertising, as it was conservative before and quoting a figure lower than is calculated under the new guidelines. The other ISPs can't increase their speeds: if you get 11Mb/s on ADSL, you get 11Mb/s on ADSL and there's knack all your ISP can do to change that bar shift you across to something else.

5. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

sorry my misunderstanding.

used to be with virgin and they used to increase speeds all the time for free, i never had a problem with them, but they don't seem very popular for some reason.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

Companies to increase speed sometimes as they upgrade hardware and to keep up with the competition. Virgin upgraded the 30Mbs to 50Mbs a few years back. This year hyperopic increased from 100Mbs to 150Mbs. Speedtest says I get around 175Mbs.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It might have something to do with their historically terrible attitude toward throttling customers (although they didn't on the higher tiers) and atrocious advert targeting: when I lived in London it was OK, but where I lived before moving to Japan I couldn't get Virgin Fibre, but I got mailings from them on a fortnightly basis telling me I could. When I phoned up, I felt rather sorry for the guy/gal apologising. My uncle and his family get the same; constant mailings (even phone calls in the past!) but do Virgin exist in their area? Nope.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Virgin does chuff all for free, every 'free speed upgrade' i've had has been accompanied by a totally-unrelated-honest price hike within a few months of the speed bump.

Last edited: 7 Aug 2018
  9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They are perfectly fine (by UK broadband standards), that is until everyone in the area changes to Virgin and then you get the run around from them that a capacity upgrade in your area is scheduled for 6 months after the release of Half Life 3.

MLyons likes this.
  10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

And that they have bonkers high contention ratios (because everyone shares the same coax run). If you have 50+homes one one coax run all with "300 megabit" broadband, trying to stuff their bits through a single link, things will not go smoothly.

Plus, they still market copper coax as 'fibre broadband' which is pure grade-A ********, and they deserved nothing less than to be relentlessly mocked for it at every turn like any other company selling anything other than FTTH/FTTP as 'fibre broadband'.

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

The issue with virgin is the small % of streets (less then 2%) where the FTTN is overcapacity and is dragging every one around that node down (typically around 16 streets ) and virgin don't typically treat peak time overcapacity as an issue as the other 16 hours it works fine, the problem with DOCSIS on Coxal is when it overloaded you start to get high ping and packet loss and virgin don't fix it until a newer DOCSIS speed version comes out (now 3.1 been rolled out)

people on virgin FTTPn are unaffected by street issues as they get the fiber node right in there house (FTTP to coxal node box is inside the house)

VDSL should not be called fiber, but I partly agree nor should virgin unless your on FTTPn

12. Merglet

Merglet What's a Dremel?

Jenkies, adsl? I didn't realise England was so far behind in internet tech. I'm NOT trolling. Was thinking about moving there from Canada, many friends, but with internet speeds THAT slow.. yoiks.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Everything over POTS other than dial-up gets called 'ADSL' here, regardless of what it actually is (almost everything is at least VDSL).

Tags: Add Tags