1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases CaseLabs Going Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damien c, 11 Aug 2018.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

https://twitter.com/CaseLabsUSA/stat...64322079977472

Trumps tariffs have meant prices had to increase by 80% making the cases have basically no profit margin according, to the tweet.

Some orders will be sent out but a big chunk are not going to be done.

Personally I hope someone in Europe can start producing these types of cases, so those who go for a monster watercooled build don't have to rely on the majority of mainstream cases, which are just not cut out for it except the occasional case from Corsair.

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Such a shame. They make some of the best cases.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Very disappointing news, I love my Case Labs TH10.

Thermaltake do rip offs based on Case Labs designs.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wonder if them selling to a case manufacturer would be an option?

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Would be nice if a proper case manufacturer with access to real global distribution bought them... one can hope, but I fear it'll fly under their radar.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ow. First victim of the thermaltake knockoff flood.

7. MLyons

It was the trump tariffs not Thermaltake.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ftfy :hehe:

9. pre

pre Minimodder

Very sad. Invested in a magnum case a few years back and they are made with amazing quality.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@MLyons - Let's call that the final nail in the coffin. I can understand you wanting to deflect blame from a business partner, so I'll let it drop.
    I want to know who defaulted on them.

11. MLyons

I've got no skin in the game. I've offended our partners on here before. What were/are Thermaltake doing? I know they stole a few caselabs designs but I wasn't under the impression that they were stealing other designs.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's a good, though old now, round-up on Legit Reviews - the site CaseLabs sent a panicky letter to when Thermaltake got its lawyers involved. (Ignore the Swiftech one, that's just 'cos Thermaltake's is a rebadged Swiftech.)

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's a joke as old as the venerable TRUE due to people getting confused with coolers from two similarly named companies: Themaltake take their designs from others, Thermalright is the right one to buy.

The_Crapman likes this.
  14. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

man sad news im still using my th10 :/

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

They were left in a vulnerable position by Thermaltake taking Caselabs designs and undercutting them.

Thermaltake getting the lawyers out when tech sites starting pointing out the similarities between Thermaltake and Caselabs (and Fractal, Coarsair etc) only underlines how much of a bunch of scumbags they are. A raise in the wholesale cost of Aluminium shouldn't be enough to run a company out of business unless it's already on the edge.

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Does this mean people with unfulfilled orders will be out of pocket for what they have paid for?

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup. Technically, they're creditors and could seek a refund from the liquidators - but they'll be at the very back of the queue, and the chances of any cash being left when it's their turn are slim indeed.

18. fix-the-spade

Or they could go their credit card company or Paypal and initiate a chargeback.

For UK buyers at least the Consumer Credit Act applies even if the company being claimed against has gone bust, so they'll stand a good chance of getting most or all of the money back. For everyone outside the UK they might be boned, but it's still worth a try.

19. Gareth Halfacree

*If* they paid some or all of the balance via credit card, and *if* the goods were more than £100, and *if* the payment didn't go through a third-party processor like PayPal, then they can try Section 75 and are reasonably likely to get a full refund. If it comes out of the narrow confines of Section 75, though, a chargeback is only possible if it's within the 120 day window and it was a Visa, Mastercard, or Amex credit card.

20. fix-the-spade

Caselabs purchases under £100?

Come along now Gareth.