1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Monster Hunter: World

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 10 Feb 2018.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Surprisingly we don't seem to have a thread for this. It's not out on PC until at least Autumn, but I know a few of us are playing it on console already.

I'd never played a Monster Hunter before, but tried out the betas with some friends and it was fairly ridiculous :hehe: I was planning to wait until it came out on PC, but I was gifted a copy on PS4 so I'm struggling with a game style I never play (I only really play shooters and things like SDV/MTaP) and a controller that's a bit broken and that I hate. So... it's interesting to say the least!

It is fun with friends, the way the multiplayer works is a bit frustrating at times, but I'm slowly getting used to it. Having a squad really helps as now I can just sign in and search for a squad session and not have to enter an alphanumeric code from a friend every time (no, really). You also have to solo most quests until you trigger the monster cut-scene and then friends can join you. Really not sure why they couldn't just let people join you from the start and see the cut-scene again, but whatever. I've noticed quite a few things like that, the one I find most annoying though is that I have to skip a tonne of dialogue every single time I talk to an NPC just to get to their menu even if I accidentally backed out of it seconds ago... :eyebrow: They're planning to keep it going with free updates, so it looks like there's going to be a lot of content to keep players happy.

If you haven't played a Monster Hunter before, the game doesn't really tell you much. You're going to want to watch some beginner guides or accept that you'll reach end-game and then find out something that would've made the entire game more enjoyable if only you'd known about it! I definitely recommend going through all the settings as soon as you can. You can mess with the HUD and personally I found the mini-map a lot easier once I let it rotate. Usually I like them fixed, but then I realised I also usually play first-person games and this one, being third-person, doesn't rotate the cone when you move the camera and I kept getting confused!

If you're still undecided, but like cats. The game has many cats!

I haven't finished the story yet, but I just dressed my Palico in a furry onesie with a cape and I put Poogie (town piggy) in a bright pink and green frog costume. So I'm happy now. End-game achieved! :clap:

official site | twitter | facebook | instagram | youtube | xb1 | ps4 |

2. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

I’ve played the PSP and wii u monster hunters and thoroughly enjoyed them. Sadly I don’t own a PS4 but this game looks right up my street so very excited for when it comes to PC. Except that’s bloody ages away...

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Monster Hunter World has become my main game for this year so far, completely hooked by the challenge of taking down some of the really difficult monsters. So far I've clocked about 46 hours in the game across about 3 weeks, usually hopping on after work and picking 3-4 monsters to hunt for a couple of hours.
    It has definitely made me spend a lot more time on my PS4, I've barely even thought about gaming on my PC since starting this.

Really like how the Palico allies are able to adapt to support you in combat situations, made even more adaptable by the tools you can unlock for them.
    I've lost track of the number of times my cat has saved me from being stomped by an angry monster when I'm stun locked... he selflessly runs in the way of the charging beast to knock me out of the way.

Just finished taking down the final boss for the story, Xeno'jiiva... it was a bit disappointing for a final boss as some of the previous monsters were far more difficult to manoeuvre around their attacks, whereas with Xeno you could just stay underneath for 90% of the fight and not get touched.
    Teostra and Bazelgeuse have been the most challenging monsters to fight, they've been way more aggressive than any other monster I've had to deal with.

4. Hex

Well, it's been out on PC for a few days now. Anyone picked it up?

I'm really disappointed they did away with squads on the PC version. I thought the integrated Steam groups was going to be the same thing, but all that does is show the group on your guild card (profile) and put the group avatar by your name when you're in the Gathering Hub :( On console I'd always just sign into the squad session so if anyone was on we could co-op, but the way it's set up on PC is really bad, not to mention it disconnects alllll the time! I'm sure the dc's are teething issues, but it does make an already frustrating co-op situation a lot worse when you're constantly having to make new sessions as well as watching the cutscenes and backing out to play together!

5. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Seems to be running better today as I played most of the day without any disconnects. Performance clearly isn't optimized but hopefully that's something they work on.

6. Hex

Yeah, we only had 3 disconnects tonight! My framerate tanked soooooo hard in Rotten Vale though. But we had 3 hunters, Odoggo, Great Girros and all his little buddies and all the effluvium! So there was a lot going on.

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm probably going to wait until nearer the end of the year before I grab the PC version, I currently have way too much in my backlog to justify a platform switch for MHW.

8. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

It tanked for me on my own chasing a Radobaan in the upper sections.

9. Hex

:( I've heard the effects from Thunder weapons tank FPS hard as well and Elder's Recess in general.

I'm definitely thinking Monster Hunter: World is coded... 'oddly' or something. Apparently you can minimize the disconnects by forcing Steam to use the old-style friendlist. Not really sure why this causes DCs as it hasn't caused issues for me in any other Steam game and I'm using the beta branch client so I've had it for a while now. Also, the beta branch introduced some changes to controllers and it caused something weird to happen in MHW where after a few seconds or minutes your controller would just cease to function. Steam rolled that change back in a beta update and it's sorted it, but MHW was the only game I had that was troubled by the change. :eyebrow: A friend who isn't on the beta Steam client also found the B button his 360 controller just ceased working after playing for about 4hrs the other night. He assumed the controller broke, but no. It was just MHW, after restarting the B button worked fine again...

10. Hex

There's been an update for the Steam version to help with the disconnects. I say help, it has not fixed them entirely, but reports suggests it is greatly improved. (Patch notes).

The Steam beta client has broken the controller inputs for this game again, it's at the point now where MHW breaks if the slightest thing changes so I'm just not going to use the beta client until I stop playing it. Not ideal :sigh:

Hopefully there will be some news on fixing the problems with Thunder weapons/Rotten Vale/Elder's Recess/Teostra soon because dropping to 12FPS is not great when you're in a big monster fight!

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Just picked this up on xbox (well I say "just" I actually bought it about a month back, but only started playing last Sunday).

Hex likes this.
  12. Hex

How are you liking it so far?

I'm still getting there with the PC version, I just got back my old main weapon (Royal Burst Gunlance), I'll be happy when I catch up to where I was on PS4 (that was over 300hrs though). My PC struggles a lot with it, really disappointed they delayed the PC launch for this long and we still get a subpar port :( Fighting Teostra is a nightmare for me and frames. Just sitting in Astera sends my CPU to 72C. That means I can't play during the day, only at night when my room is cool which really limits the friends I'm able to team up with.

We had a full session last night and everyone on controller had weird issues where it wouldn't register all the inputs. There were quite a few disconnects last night too. There's another patch coming on Thursday (6th September 2018), will be interesting to see what that addresses.

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

It's taking a bit of getting used to and I was still playing Destiny (had to get the Solstice armour upgraded on my Hunter), so I haven't really sunk that much time in yet (Just set up the 1st camp).

Trying to figure out what weapons suit me best. I quite liked the ranged weapons, so I've mainly used the bow and bolt castors but as I play solo (at least for now) I'm not sure if they'll deal enough damage to complete the timed quests (just about completed the pukei-pukei hunt -it didn't help that it took me forever to find the area it was in before I could even start to track it).

14. Hex

Yeah, the game doesn't really tell you anything at all, well worth looking up some guides/videos. Hunts are actually easier solo. Solo or with 4 people are best as there's just solo or a multiplayer modifier. It doesn't go up depending on how many players, it's just there or it isn't. So 2 players (with 2 palicoes) and 3 players are kind of the worst really. A lot of people solo the harder monsters because they have less health when you're solo and it's just a bit quicker.