1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One Xbox One X

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by stealth80, 9 Sep 2018.

1. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Ive sold my PC and was thinking about buying the above for some casual gaming. Question is, those of you that have switched, is it worth the money? Also, is it worth the premium over say the Xbox One S?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It depends what you will be playing is the honest answer. I would check to see which games are enhanced. I bought a Scorpio and did so solely to play FO4 and for that it was worth every penny (4k and better detail than the PS Pro). However, some apps need to be dropped to 1080p or the screen blinks like mad (Amazon Prime Video for example only likes 1080p).

I wouldn't be parted with mine now it has pretty much replaced my PC as my main gaming platform. Just so much more comfy lying in bed with a wireless controller than having to sit in a hard chair for hours at a time. It is also very quiet and doesn't make my room feel like a sauna.

4k Netflix is excellent too, but just remember you need a 4k TV to get the most out of it.

Oh, and don't buy or install Quantum Break. Even though it is XB1X enhanced it destroys the console leaving your only option as a complete wipe.

3. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

ye I've got 4k tv and atmos set up, also have a PS4 but I wanted to change that as it was a gift from the ex

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While I understand wanting to get rid of anything that could remind you of the horrors of dating just be aware that going from Playstation to Xbox will be a severe downgrade in regards to the games that are available.

5. Vault-Tec

Nah that's not really the case. There are more exclusives on the PS yes, but the Xbox is by far and away the superior console just going from my friends who own both. The front end is very slick too.

Depends what you are looking for really.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

A more diverse selection of games equals less boredom and less boredom equals better console.
    Having a better front end than the PS4 is easy, because the one on the PS4 is 49% ads, 49% social junk and 2% stuff you need:wallbash:

7. Vault-Tec

I bought a jeff load of games for mine for over winter. I only spent about £53 IIRC. I did buy a new controller though and a headset. Oh and I may have got this too.

[​IMG]

As the stock hard drive got chomped up pretty quick.

8. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Well I've thought about it a little more and I have like 12 games or so, so I guess my next question is, is the Ps4 Pro worth thr money over the vanilla?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'd say it is worth it, should be able to get some money from selling the old PS4 to take the sting out of the PS4 Pro price.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

The problem with the Xbox is, I find myself buying cheap copies of games I already like on the PC (Witcher 3, Deus Ex MD, Kerbal Space Program etc.) because it has so few good first party titles. It has almost become a glorified 4k blu-ray player with occasional gaming use. If the deal I got at the time (£160 brand new xbox one S plus ass creed origins) had not been so good, i'd have gone for a PS4.
    I will say I love how quiet it is, the nice small form factor and the controller ergonomics but the console feels like more of a media machine than an actual gaming console. Which would be ok if every mobile phone and smart TV did not already offer most of the functionality of the console.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2018
  11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

My only advice when buying a PS4 Pro is to try and get a recently produced model. I was an early adopter and the fan speed is less than ideal! Digital Foundry found that this has been somewhat fixed when they took a look at the Limited Edition PS4 Pro (500 Million). Taking an educated guess, I'd assume any new bundle PS4 Pro would have the CU-7100 model enclosed!

13. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I'm tempted to ditch desktop and getting a PS4 pro, windows 10 is a pain

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

If Microsoft are real about adding Keyboard and Mouse support and it works in all games not just limited to a few, then I may ditch the PC and go to a Xbox One X as I am sick of the issues with playing games on the PC now but I really cannot get on with the controller for FPS games.

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

With consoles it's far more about personal preference than with PCs, due to games only available on certain consoles.

Another angle to go from is which controller do you personally prefer, as you'll be using it a lot (well, all the time you use the console) so it matters.

16. Vault-Tec

Microsoft decided ages ago to lift the "Xbox only" embargo, so some of those games would have been exclusives before. Sony definitely make more games than Microsoft, and when they do they never release them on any other platform. That is good in ways but of course bad for others, because we don't get to play them.

When I was deciding I so nearly bought a PS4 Pro. I attempted to order one from Game, which was showing in stock for £349 with two free games. When I went to checkout it said out of stock. I then went to Very to try and order one there, but apparently failed two credit checks I didn't even know they were doing and because they are a bunch of muggy ripoff twats I couldn't just outright buy it. I wasn't paying £350 for a bare console so I ended up buying the X for £340 out of frustration more than anything else. However, given I have played FO4 for over 70 hours on it and a few other games I think I made the right choice. Graphically and powerfully the 1x is the better console.

[​IMG]

^ That's the PS4 Pro, this is the 1x

[​IMG]

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If it was just the games made by Sony themselves it wouldn't be so bad, but there are multiple 3rd party developers who simply ignore the Xbox...
    Stuff like Yakuza, Nioh, Ni no Kuni, Gravity Rush etc Sony had squat to do with their development, yet imprisoned on the PS4 they remain.
    And thats before we even get to the issue of Sony taking a huge steaming dump on cross play...

No doubt the world would be a slightly better place if the consoles had to compete on their own merit rather than how many games they hold hostage, but the world ain't perfect and I won't ever feel sorry if Microsoft ends up on the short end of the stick, because they are the company responsible for GFWL, the Windows Store / UWP crap, the Cortana infestation of Windows, etc.

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Gravity Rush is developed by a subsidiary of Sony Interatice Entertainment Japan, no surprises that's not coming to Xbox. Japanese developers forget Xbox is a thing that still exists, much like the rest of Japan. They put money into Nioh and Ni no Kuni too. Sony chucks money in the pot of a lot of games development, Microsoft do it in fits and starts but they don't have the same consistent level of funding in exchange for exclusivity or timed exclusivity that Sony have done since forever.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yeah I messed that up, either way, there are tons of games we can replace it with, lets say Persona for example.

Honestly since both PS4 and Xbone use minor variations of the same hardware it should be a minimal effort to port stuff over to Xbone but no... they just can't be arsed.
    Hell I bet they needed more effort to make the PC versions of Nioh, Ni no Kuni etc than it would take to port it to Xbone.

20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I would never 'switch' from one platform to another. I think they can all co-exist, filling gaps the other cannot.

For serious shooters, strategy, simulators or MMO, it's PC master race. Casual games including driving, sports or less competitive shooters, console. Plus the big screen and sofa gaming experience is great for single player adventure games like Unchartered or Tomb Raider.

Hex likes this.