1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Wanting to upgrade from 1080p 60hz to 1440p 60/144hz?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smellyhead, 16 Sep 2018.

1. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Hi,

Im currently looking to upgrade my monitor as I think mine is starting to show its age. I have a Dell U2312HM which is a 60hz monitor but I feel this may be holding me back in games due to its refresh rate.

My rig is an i7 2600k @4.2ghz, 8gb ram and 1070ti. Which brings me to my question of which type of monitor would I be best investing into? I've been looking at the "gaming monitors" 144hz ones and gsync ones but will I see any difference in these? Since the gsync monitors seem to be quite pricey, is there an advantage to them over a 1080p 144hz monitor? Or should I be looking at 1440p now? I'm primarily looking for best image again so I guess it should be IPS or is TN on par? Should I stick to 24" or go up to 27" if I increase resolution?

Will any of my parts bottleneck me at any point? Since I've also been thinking about upgrading my cpu, motherboard and ram to more current tech like ryzen 2 or a newer i7. Note its primarily a gaming rig with abit of video editing as a diffuser hobby.

Sorry for alot of questions in one post but I'm not that clued up on these things but with the average gsync monitor been over £500 I want to get the right one

Thanks

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

G-sync is a technology that is very nice to have. It allows your GPU and monitor to sync the FPS so that there is no tearing. I would thoroughly recommend it if looking to buy a new monitor. I don't know how I lived without it for so long.

The resolution is entirely your call. 1080P will be easier to hit the 144Hz marker consistently, but the 1440P allows for a better image due to the increase in pixel density.

I went from a 60Hz IPS (now my secondary) to a 144Hz TN and got used to the change in colour very quickly. It isn't as nice to look at, but the response time is much better and it honestly doesn't look terrible in games. It looks very similar once you tweak the RGB spectrum a little.

Getting the higher resolution will allow your GPU to stretch its legs and take some of the load away from the CPU. You should be absolutely fine on that combo.

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

You're in a bit of a poor time to be buying a high refresh monitor with adaptive sync. You can either pay a £100-400+ premium for a G-Sync monitor or you can switch to the red team and pay the £100-200 mining premium for a Vega 56/64. It's also worth noting that your 1070 Ti won't go much beyond 60fps @ 1440p in AAA titles anyways, so unless you're playing less demanding games or dropping back to 1080p, 144Hz won't be terribly useful to you.

4. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Well I still have my old GPU, a R9 380x Nitro+ but didn't think that would serve me any better on a freesync would it? Games I'm mainly playing is WoW, PUBG and probably pick up BF5 aswell, so would ideally like to keep high frames. I thought the 1070Ti would be good enough to something on 1440p

To be honest I was going to wait until black friday sales and pick up a new CPU, mobo and ram combo hoping that would help aswell with 1070Ti? Or would it be better to sell everything in current rig? TO hit better frames at 1440?

5. TheMadDutchDude

You'll get more than 60 FPS with ease... I have a 1080 and regularly sit in the 100+ range on modern titles with a lot of the shiny stuff turned on.

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

A 1070 Ti will obviously crush WoW, and appears to do 75fps+ on PUBG 1440p ultra and 65fps on Battlefield 5 1440p ultra (beta #s, so add pinch of salt). These are also #s with much newer CPU's, so you'll need to take that into account as well. For the moment, I'd say watch for good sales on g-sync monitors and watch the price of Vega cards (or if the rumors are true, Navi's release in Q4), then run the numbers to see what the best deal ends up being.

7. TheMadDutchDude

PUBG is hard to judge by. I can often crush 120+ and then there’s times where it used to drop to 40. It has come a long way, but it’s still not great.

PUBG also doesn’t look much different between settings, but it affects your FPS massively. Just something to consider. :)