1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Lonherz Kernel 2.0

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Lonherz, 20 Jul 2018.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

all your efforts are paying now, :clap: lighting effects on the last pics are awesome :jawdrop:
    the whole thing is absolutely amazing and crazy :wallbash:

2. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

Thank you!!! [​IMG]

In the next update there is another new thing: a light effect that reacts gradually to the use of the proximity sensor :grin:

finally I have obtained the result that I imagined for the 1.0 version when I started the project, and that I didn't have achieved 10 years ago! [​IMG]

PS: the next update is the last before the final post with the video and all the pics of the completed mod :grin:

3. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

Some final works and inauguration

I was working on the software too:
    I have programmed a Java application (that I called KernelController :grin: ) for the PC, that communicates bidirectionally with Arduino using the serial port.
    The application has these functions:
    - it can query Arduino to get the list of the lighting states that I have programmed (including some monochromatic, polychromatic, animated and mixed states)
    - it can select the desired lighting state from the list
    - it shows the current selected state (even if it is selected directly by the proximity or touch sensors)
    - it launches an appropriate animation on the projector, when some lighting state is selected. For example it launches a red alarm signal animation when selecting the pulsing red state (this function can be disabled, because it can be annoying in some moments)

In these videos I'm testing some functions of the application: changing lighting states and starting animations on the projector:

Then I have replaced the old projection screen (4:3) with a 16:10 projection screen (the new projector's ratio is 16:10, 1280*800).

Here I had to solve a problem: sanding two faces of the panel there was an annoying parallax effect, and sanding only one face the projection wasn't bright enough.
    So I solved the problem sanding two panels, each on only one face, and fixing them together with the sanded faces in contact. In this way, the sanded faces are two (brighter projection), but they haven't a gap between them (so no parallax).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And this is the result (the projection is too bright for the pics, but seen live I can say that the projected image is clearly visibile and not blurry at all):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As I said before, I decided to remove the mirror and put the projector directly behind the screen, because even the mirror's surface caused a parallax effect!
    So I have made a polycarbonate "shelf" for the projector, to be mounted over the hard disks structure and the PSU cover:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I still had to mount a led strip: the one that lights the proximity sensor's engraving.
    This strip is particularly important, because it reacts to the proximity sensor events, giving some feedback to the user! :grin: (there are some videos of this effect below):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have mounted the Prankster bit and his motor:

[​IMG]

And I have inserted all the remaining cables inside the interspace below the base, in which I have also inserted the projector's power supply and a hidden knob that changes the Prankster bit's movement speed.

Finally I have moved the projector to center the projected image in the screen, and I have made some holes in the projector's shelf to keep it in the right position:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I was forgetting the fans! Here they are:

[​IMG]

4. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

I started with 5 meters of led strip, and all I have left is this tiny piece :grin: , the rest is all in the case!

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, in the software side, I have programmed 3 feedback effects for the proximity sensor (one for each primary color).

This effect gives to the user the feeling that the panel is "being charged" by the user's hand! :grin:

When the user bring his hand close to the sensor, the lighted panel gradually changes color (to a "more charged color"), and when the user takes back the hand, the panel returns slowly to the original color ("discharging").

The 3 effect are:
    - one starting from blue: from blue it goes gradually to green, yellow and finally red (it is the one visible in this video below)
    - one starting from red, that mimics the incandescent metal: from red it goes to orange, yellow and finally white
    - one starting from green, that goes to white

Then I modified the KernelController application, to automatically sync the projected animations with the lighting states:

And then I modified the effect of the "running pixel with trail", adding more pixels at once!
    This is the result on the ring and around the base (the pixels running around the base remind me the Tron lightcycles :grin: ):

And finally this is the inauguration of the completed Kernel 2.0!!! I have taken it to a lan party! :grin:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are two short videos taken at the lan party:

PS: the next update will be the final one, with the video and all the pics of the completed project! :grin:

jenners, kim and _Prometheus_ like this.
  5. _Prometheus_

_Prometheus_ Minimodder

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: Don`t stop, man.

6. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

consider it done! :grin:

FINAL VIDEO AND PHOTOS OF THE KERNEL 2.0

This is the video of all the features of the mod (in particular all the animations and the moving parts)!

NOTE: the video has english subtitles, that can be activated from the youtube interface

This is a first selection of the final pics (in the next posts, there are ALL the pics :grin: )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jenners likes this.
  7. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

And these are all the pics, divided by lighting state:

The powered off PC:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Powered on PC, but with light in the room:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  8. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

Default state 1:

- mostly blue

- infection effect that fades from blue to green on the hard disks

- Arduino ring with two rotating red pixel trails

- two yellow pixel trails that run around the base

- projector animation: blue electronic circuit

- proximity sensor "charging" effect: blue->green->yellow->red

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Default state 2:

- mostly blue

- infection effect that fades from blue to green on the hard disks

- Pulsating blue Arduino ring

- Blue base perimeter

- projector animation: Tron disc

In this state I like the reflection of the projected Tron disc on the room's wall behind the case :grin: (and the disc is animated, in the video it can be seen in movement!).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  9. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

Blue state:

- all blue

- projector animation: Tron themed lines

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Green states:

- all green

- Arduino ring with 1-3 rotating green pixel trails

- projector animation: scrolling code, or Matrix-style falling code

- proximity sensor "charging" effect: green->white

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  10. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

Red state:

- all pulsating red (alarm-style)

- Arduino ring with 1 rotating red pixel trail, like an alarm signal

- projector animation: flashing red alarm signal

- proximity sensor "charging" effect: "incandescent" effect, red->yellow->white

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Desert state:

- all orange

- projector animation: desert with rolling tumbleweeds :grin:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Colourful states:

- lighting with constant fluid color hue cycling on all the led strips

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

kim and _Prometheus_ like this.
  11. kim

kim hardware addict

I felt a huge potential in the first posts of your thread, a kind of "alien" modding out of the beaten track that I really appreciate the most :grin:, congratulations for the tremendous amount of work and determination, the result is absolutely fantastic:clap: , it was a great adventure to follow, and a lot of fun...keep modding:rock:

jenners likes this.
  12. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

Wow thank you very much!!! I'm glad to know you liked the final result! [​IMG] (and this lengthy and pedantic project log too... :hehe: )

I'm also happy to know that it can be considered "alien"! It was one of my main goals when I started this project! :grin:

PS: I repost here the final video, because it is the most important thing to see for all the animation and parts in movement, but its window is very little compared to the pics, so it could go unnoticed :happy:

This is the video of all the features of the mod (in particular all the animations and the moving parts)!

NOTE: the video has english subtitles, that can be activated from the youtube interface

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

This is bonkers.

14. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

ahah thank you!! :grin:

15. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

i knew this was going to be good, but i had no idea how ruddy good.

nice skills :jawdrop:

16. kim

kim hardware addict

great video :thumb:, it's really an amazing machine :grin: :wallbash:

17. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

Thank you very much!!! [​IMG]

Thank you!!! :grin: ...I must find a way to make the video more visible between the pics, otherwise it is almost invisibile, despite being the first thing to see :sigh:

18. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

It's like the craziest science project ever! but crazy in an amazing way :rock::rock::rock::thumb:

19. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

ahah thank you!!! :grin:

20. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

I thought that 18 min. of video could be a little pedantic :hehe: , so I have made another video, that is a quick preview without explanations :happy: (and with the Tron 2.0 background music :grin: )

QUICK VIDEO PREVIEW OF THE KERNEL 2.0 (in particular all the animations and the moving parts! length: 3 min.)