1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress COSMOS - titan update + battlestation

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CroyAlore, 2 May 2018.

1. CroyAlore

CroyAlore What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Hello all, I'm starting a new work log on a update I've been planning to my titan build: Which you can find here called COSMOS. The goal of this built was to: One, update some of my aging components, some where about four years old by the complete of titan, and two, update some of the features of the case I was either unable to complete during titans construction or had not though to incorporate.

The case's cooling components are for the most part unchanged, except for the water-blocks that needed to be upgraded along with their hardware components. Below is a list of the upgraded and added hardware for the new Cosmos build:

Upgraded:
    [CPU]: Intel i7 - 8700k
    [GPU]: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
    [MOBO]: Asus Strix Z370-G
    [RAM]: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8 16GB -3000

Added:
    [NVMe]: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB

The main of the updates of the case itself will be the inclusion of a vertical GPU mount. I have a quick Solid Works screenshot to demonstrate what I'm looking to at the bottom of this paragraph. I noticed that with titan there was a lot of empty room created by the graphic card and the tubes started to look awkwardly placed, so I started to work on a vertical mount solution. The problem here is that the weight of the card isn't supported by the bracket alone on the back panel so I've got a couple of ideas of how to mount it properly while still allowing me to move the case without worrying about the GPU coming loose.

[​IMG]

Besides the main update I'm looking to do two more things: First, find a better way to manage all the cables, and find some routing solutions for them. I'm thinking of upgrading the PSU to a smaller size and reorganizing the cables giving me more room on the bottom for cable management, but I will see what I'll do after the GPU is properly mounted. Second, find a very simple solution to enclosing the case. At the moment the case is open with no side panels. I do like the way the build looks without any side panels at all but the case was originally built with minimal air flow needed in the chassis as to prevent dust. So I would like to figure out a way to enclose the case while keeping the look of the case the same and integrating some kind of airflow for some of the passive components on the motherboard.

While building this rig I've also decided to work on a battlestation to match it. The battlestation for COSMOS will have the same theme as the rig and will be designed after it so I'll be posting the worklog for the battlestation here along side it.

I hope you guys enjoy the build, I'll be trying to provide updates as often as I can and try to keep everything organized at the bottom of this post if your just looking for updates:

Thanks all.

Table of Contents
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Sep 2018
  2. CroyAlore

reserved for final photos

3. CroyAlore

Hey all, got part one of COSMOS here. This update shouldn't have too much to do with the case itself but all the upgrade hardware and cooling parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ended up going with the Asus Strix as the neutral grays and rgb lighting really goes well with the rest for the build. IT also lets me use a full cover CPU block that catches the light from the illumination panel well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While I was planning this build I was originally going to get the 7700K but luckily I had waited on upgrading the build long enough for the 8700K to come out. Overall its great but I might look into deliding as it still runs hot even with the water block.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the biggest downsides to titan was I couldn't add a NVMe as the chipset was too old to support it. I originally wanted a way to keep the inside of the case simple and organized and would have rathered a NVMe on the board than a SSD taking up space, but I ended up finding a good place to add the SSD and even with the updates I'm still going to end up keeping the SSD in its place. (Probably going to have to shift it a bit to make room for the GPU when it gets vertically mounted)

[​IMG]

The tridentZ's rgb works great with the illumination panel and I was able to match the colors as well pretty easily. I was pretty set on upgrading to the traidentZs when I was planning this build and it really ended up working well

[​IMG]

The final shot with all the new components on the board ready to be switched in. Right after I took this picture I actually put on a temporary CPU block to test things out. So the time between this photo and the next is actually a couple weeks to allow for parts to ship in and proper testing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The block was really easy to install. Removing the all heat sinks only involved removing two small screws each and the new block fit on easily after adding the thermal pads and paste. Securing it in place was just a handful of screws and washers and the entire process didn't take long at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even easier than the block was the NVMe cooler. Front and back plate and two brackets to them in place. Only change I made here was to take the EK symbol and flip it around due to the motherboard orientation being upside down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried to block out the Strix logo and see if it looks better with the lighting. In the end I like it more but if you guys have a different idea I'd like your feed back, Its pretty easy to replace the bracket on the water block and showing the logo is basically a three step process.

[​IMG]

And here's the case with all the new components in place. The next update should have the start of the desk build. As you can see in some of the photos I'm already using it but I'll be sure to post some of those photos soon. The update should have the new GPU block and the start of the new back panel. Thanks all.​

4. CroyAlore

Hello everybody,

Its been a while since I've had a chance to work on this project due to my other project, Pluto. I've been working over the last couple weeks to try to get this project completed and I've got another update here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new GPU, I got this card a while ago when pretty much every card was selling out so I decided to go with the FE as the price from NVIDIA was the lowest I could find at the time.

[​IMG]

Heat sink removed and ready for the water block.

[​IMG]

All the parts I should need and more to get the GPU attached to the rest of the loop.

[​IMG]

These Barrow tubes have really helped me put together this rig and a compact way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the Bracket I will use to support the GPU. It was difficult for me to figure out how to go about supporting the GPU subtle way, but my friend ended up coming up with this idea. With this bracket and some added support at the I/O end it has been holding firm so far (Still got to do some testing).

[​IMG]

Now to remove the old backplate. Here you can see the illumination panels LED as well as what the rig looks like without the panel.

[​IMG]

Now the new I/O. I had to do a lot of measurements to try to make sure the GPU would line up correctly with the increased height from the fittings and motherboard and honestly didn't know if it would fully work until i connected it to the rig and tried it out.

[​IMG]

The SDD Sits pretty comfortably in the gap left underneath the I/O for the GPU.

[​IMG]

And thankfully it aligned correctly and everything with the measurements worked great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the back of the bracket, I'll have to add some more screws to better support it.

[​IMG]

I've got a new way to better manage the cables from when I first built titan so it should come out much cleaner than before.

[​IMG]

Final wire management from the front.

Thanks all for reading I should have one more update and then final pictures coming soon after. IF you guys have any questions or want more angles of how its supported just ask :grin: