1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ Sky/Three Project

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SaaintJimmy, 4 Jul 2018.

1. SaaintJimmy

SaaintJimmy Staff Lover of bit-tech

Hi everyone, I'm back today with the start of a new project, code name Nu Stacker, in art Sky/Three.
    This is based on three Coolermaster Q300P, seated horizontally one above the other, to form a real tower case. The top section will house all the hardware while the central and bottom one will be unified to house all the watercooling gear and some other cool stuff. But chit chat aside, let's get straight to the pictures of the first progress!

First, some pictures of the cases out of the boxes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, after having torn apart the cases to leave the frame alone, I started taking measurements for the L profile that will fix the cases together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually tried three different layout for the L profiles, the first was my original idea and it included four profiles on all angles, but it was way to squared and weird looking

[​IMG]

So I moved on to an alternate layout, two profiles connecting first and second case, and two connecting second and third. It looked even weirder to me, and probably not sturdy enough

[​IMG]

The third attempt was the successful, I really like this layout and will stick with this

[​IMG]

For the feet, I bought some furniture handles and adapted them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you saw, two angles will feature tubes between the cases, to allow a perfect alignment and stability. Two secure them, I use two little wooden bars for each tube, attached to the cases. This way, before I mount the case, I simply slide the tube in place and let it do the job

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After having the cases fixed, I started putting threaded rivets on the sides of the cases, which will secure panels with fans and some cool lighting pieces I salvaged from the front section of the Q300P's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's everything for now. I hope this project interests you, a lot more to come soon!

Last edited: 22 Aug 2019
  2. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

mod an amplifier into a 4th case for the stack and be "that dude" with the crazy home theater setup in the living room, maybe ?!

on a more serious note; really like how this is completely different! and for that i will be impatiently awaiting the next update

3. SaaintJimmy

Oh wow, that would be crazy!! Hahaha

Thanks man!

4. SaaintJimmy

Made some progress on one side... those lighting pieces from the Q300P's came in really handy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

neSSa likes this.
  5. SaaintJimmy

Finally back with another huge update for SkyThree Project. Today we'll take a look at the side hinged panels that will house the intake fans, some case-cutting to start making room for everything and the gigantic radiators paired with amazing reservoir/pumps from Watercool and fans from Noiseblocker!

Hoping to bring you guys some nice photos of the hardware I received so far as soon as possible!

So let's start with the making of the hinged panels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to the front aluminum strips and first big cuts to the cases

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost everything cut down, top case is next for the lifting

[​IMG]

All three hinged panels completed at my booth at Campus Party Italia :D

[​IMG]

Fantastic combo of Watercool/Heatkiller rads and res/pumps, together with some nice Noiseblocker fans. This will be soooo cool in so many ways!!

[​IMG]

Now making the mounting for those combos from 8mm tinted acrylic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here they are mounted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  6. Nikolas Whitehead

Nikolas Whitehead What's a Dremel?

That DIY does seems to look great. Thanks for the pics.

SaaintJimmy likes this.
  7. SaaintJimmy

I'm finally back from holiday and all out on the project! This time we'll see a lot of panelling, on the back, on the front, in the inside...

At the back we'll find a window all around the I/O area

[​IMG]

At the front, I put two aluminum strips that will replace the middle tubes as I don't like them very much and don't help the structure integrity

[​IMG]

To recall the handles of the original cases, Coolermaster Q300P, I decided to put new aluminum ones at the angles in the front, these will also allow a more comfortable time moving this beast around if necessary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the lower area, I made a cover that will house all the cables from fans and pumps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the cables that will run all the way from the PSU to the bottom, I made some covers to mount between the cases

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to close this update with the bang, I started working on the hardware compartment with a lot of panelling, we will also see the mounting position of the SATA SSD from Adata XPG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

impressive and awesome so far:jawdrop:
    btw, I was happy to see your Cosmos X mod in my favourite french hardware and PC magazine :grin:

9. SaaintJimmy

Thanks man! I don't recall of seeing that! Do you have a link or something? :eek:

10. kim

kim hardware addict

Sorry mate :sigh:, I searched online to find a link but it is definitely a paper magazine, (my favourite in France), about PC, hardware and modding, and I think you have been chose between many foreign awesome mods...:grin:, I hope I didn't mistake about mentioning it...:rollingeyes:...I took a shot of the page of my own magazine with my celphone to show you, but pic is bit crappy :naughty:, so I post only a direct link, not to pollute your thread...
    http://img110.xooimage.com/files/a/b/f/img_1232-5510d23.jpg

11. SaaintJimmy

Oh WOW! I absolutely didn't know that! Thanks for letting me know man! What's the name of the magazine? I'll make a post on my FB page with the pic you took if it's ok for you!
    Edit: nevermind, the link is right there on the page you took a picture of! :hehe: They had told me about the article on the site, I just didn't know it got published on paper too. That's great!

Last edited: 14 Sep 2018
  12. kim

kim hardware addict

Happy if I learned you about it :grin:, The magazine's name is PC UPDATE, I don't mind if you post my pic on your FB, but it's a really a crappy one :sad:, the page background itself is pretty dark, I went outside with my Iphone5 to shot it with sunlight, but the result is just a little better :eyebrow:, here is the link, choose the one you prefer
    http://img110.xooimage.com/views/e/9/4/img_1252-551497d.jpg/

SaaintJimmy likes this.
  13. SaaintJimmy

Currently working on some boring stuff like little cuts on the cases to make everything fit properly, I'm close to starting the paint phase. While we wait, I'll show you some of the hardware that will go in the build. Powered by Adata XPG, Watercool and Asrock! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SaaintJimmy

It's time for a big update! I've been going strong lately because I need to get this project done within October, so I managed most of the work that had to be done!

Mounting system for the fan controller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This midplate is something you'll soon see what it's there for

[​IMG]

Attached four lightbars to the center case for a particular lighting effect

[​IMG]

Started the paintjob and polishing phase for the aluminum profiles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of cables run all across the three cases so I had to insert them before assembling the structure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the paintjob goes on with other panels, Sky Three logo and Tokyo skyline

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the dark side of this build: lots of cables at the bottom for the 14 fans, two pumps and all the RGB lights

[​IMG]

Time for some eye candy with a lighting test

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheapskate, kim and _Prometheus_ like this.
  15. SaaintJimmy

Very last update before the final photos and video! It's time for tubing, a few more panels, cable management and final tweaks here and there.

Let's start with the tubing and a very particular routing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Composite panel to close the bottom of the top case, along with clear smoked rear panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cable management at the top. This was tricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally mounted the in-between covers for the cables that run across the cases

[​IMG]

Last two painted panels for SSD and mini front cover with signature and glimpse of the coolant!

[​IMG]

All ready to be fired up! Windows installed :D

[​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  16. kim

kim hardware addict

fantastic :jawdrop: your work on the alu panels is so perfect...:rock:

SaaintJimmy likes this.
  17. SaaintJimmy

Revealing Project Sky Three.
    A tribute to the Tokyo Sky Tree and the Cooler Master Stacker Series, this mod brings the high end watercooling concept to a whole new level, with a smaller footprint and dual 480mm radiator. Endless lighting combinations, for every type of taste, from the stealth white to the RGB rainbow, just like the Sky Tree tower. Sleek metallic look with polished aluminum. This is a triple Q300P with same footprint but extremely enhanced capabilities.

I want to thank my sponsors for all the support: Cooler Master, Watercool, Seasonic, Noiseblocker, Adata, Asrock, PC Frog Milano.

[​IMG]

Specs:
    Case: 3x Cooler Master Q300P
    CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
    MB: Asrock Fatal1ty B360M Performance
    RAM: Adata XPG D41 3000MHz 4x8Gb
    SSD: 1x Adata XPG S11 m.2 240Gb + 1x Adata XPG SX950U SATA 240Gb
    PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
    Radiator Fans: Noiseblocker Multiframe 120mm
    Case Fans: Cooler Master Masterfan Airflow RGB 120mm
    CPU Waterblock: Heatkiller IV PROI
    GPU Waterblock: Heatkiller IV 1070/80
    Reservoir: 2x Heatkiller Tube 200 D5
    Radiator: 2x Heatkiller HTSF2 480mm LT
    Fittings and Tubing: Alphacool Eiszapfen + Alphacool Eisrohr 13/10 Satin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  18. SaaintJimmy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video coming soon!!

Cheapskate and _Prometheus_ like this.
  19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I wasnt sold on this mod... and i was that i could never get a clear picture in full.....

But now.... i'm totally sold ! The lighting is perfect and these are some of the best final pics ive seen of a mod ever.

I would really like to own this :rock::rock::thumb: :thumb:

20. SaaintJimmy

Thanks man, I'm glad I was able to make you change opinion! It's definitely a difficult build to imagine in the work in progress, just so much going on and without a clear shape, there were some moments I felt the same too. But it came out really great in my opinion as well, especially the lighting, in fact I put I lot of thought in that aspect.

I think I'll try to sell it soon after I made some showcases, hoping it finds a nice home! :D