1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Thermaltake UK Modding Trophy 2018 #TT20

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AML_customs_pc, 7 Oct 2018.

1. AML_customs_pc

AML_customs_pc Minimodder

2. Mike Shep TTW

Mike Shep TTW What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to it. Well done for being selected. Big fan of yours. Great ideas. Keep it up. :D

AML_customs_pc likes this.
  3. AML_customs_pc

4. AML_customs_pc

Thanks, hopefully everything will go to plan.

5. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Looking forward to an update on this Forum on this one.. the white and vivid yellow/lime colour suit each other well (from the Flickr album)

6. AML_customs_pc

Hi Zakk33 the lime green is for another project you can find it under project:Snow, it’s in the forum.

7. AML_customs_pc

8. AML_customs_pc

9. AML_customs_pc

10. AML_customs_pc

[​IMG]

So I have a few days off work this week have the house to myself so thought it was best to get a move on, so I have pull this case apart.

[​IMG]

I dont need the back or mid plate as I will be replacing these with distro plates, here is a litlle sneak peek,

[​IMG]

I have have no back on the case, I can start the basement, this is going to house the PSU the res and pumps and RTX 2080 card.I want to have a false floor, this will help cable manage the fan cables pump.

Start with marking it out.

[​IMG]

I did make a mistake here, I had to move the RTX back 30mm I amended this when I cut the acrylic.

[​IMG]

This could have cut with a jigsaw and filed down put I wanted to to use the CNC, plus the more I use it the more knowledge I get.

[​IMG]

forgot to share my stack of acrylic I am sure I will need more.

[​IMG]

I have place the false floor in to the case and add a big piece of acrylic on the back I am using 3 of these for just the back distro plate.

[​IMG]

Its, start to look like something.

I tested the psu, I want this to over hang so it goes through the back of the case.

[​IMG]

Think it looks good, at least I know the holes are straight.

Next was to try and get everything level, the has really pee me off, because I want to make the distro at the back of the case, and the case is being judged I need all the edge match and need it to work. I used the CNC to take a mm off at a time on the bottom and the side. I took 5mm each side and it was still a bit off, here is a photo any way.

[​IMG]

I know the cause and a way to fix it but I will do that once I have done the distro plate but will need to do it before I put the mid plate in.

This is it for today, I am off again friday so I will make sure I can get the distro plate all done and get some photos up of the process.

thanks for reading the post.

Richard (aml custom pc)

Last edited: 8 Nov 2018
  11. AML_customs_pc

[​IMG]

Right guy's this started out so well, took a few days off work to make sure I had the time to get this right and it didn't really work.

Lets get started,

This is what I want to make, this will be on the back of the thermaltake level 20 xt.

[​IMG]

I have never seen one done where the loops cross over in the distro plate, I have never done one before and with my old machine I had only ever done basic 120 res nothing as big as this and with a short time frame, here we go.

I am using 10 mm cast acrylic 365mm by 465mm. We are doing a base, this is one loop, middle for the second loop, and the third is the lid.

I made a custom bracket on my waste board so I new where to place the acrylic so each piece is using the same zero on the CNC.

This is what we started with,

Lid

[​IMG]

I machine out the gpu, psu and the io, and drilled all the holes, everything going well.

[​IMG]

Next, We do the middle

[​IMG]

Everything still going well, and for the base.

[​IMG]

Now that we have every thing is cut we need to tap the holes this didn't go well I normally use 3.3mm hole and use a m4 tap with my drill, this have always work for me when I have made custom motherboard trays and always did it this ways, should have done it by hand as the bit got to hot and was not doing the thread just a hole. I was gutted saw the light, when I should have just taken my time.

We did get a few positives it looked great everything fitted well and I could start to see my vision.

Negatives I messed up on the taps and I will need to sand the channels down.

I did test fitted it in to the case and it look great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was hitting my head off the wall and needed to step away, trying to think of a way for it to work.

12. AML_customs_pc

13. AML_customs_pc

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Don't weld. Add a TINY bit of clear silicone to the channels, placing the o-ring as you go, and clamp that sucker together FAST. If it dries too fast, use some mineral spirits.

15. AML_customs_pc

Thanks cheapskate, I will keep that in mind.

16. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I hope you get that distro plate sorted.... as its the coolest distro ive seen :thumb:

When i route my plex because it's all done by hand i always notice there's a good amount of heat left in the plex from the routing... i can usually feel it as my fingers are always very close to the area...
    This does cause a (very slight) amount of warping... some thing you prolly wouldn't even see with the eye..

If you can find the exact spot ? you can apply a small amount of heat and reverse warp the plex in the direction you need ( forcing it to clamp down).... i do this some times on bends to get the shape i want.

I hope the weldon works for you :thumb:

17. AML_customs_pc

Thanks I will take that onboard, I have seen what you can do with plexi, love what you are doing with your current build.

I thought about what I was doing and what I wanted to achieve, now when I look back I could have done it so many other ways and still got the same look, I guess that comes with modding you are always learning.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  18. AML_customs_pc

19. kim

kim hardware addict

great great work so far...

20. AML_customs_pc

Thanks Kim.