1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Cheap Valve Amps for PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ljs, 11 Oct 2018.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Browsing on Amazon (other internet retailers available), there are quite a few sweet looking, sub £40 valve amps which seem to have decent reviews.

Example (but there are loads on there.

Is it worth getting one? I don't know too much about it all but £40 isn't a huge amount of money to splash.

I have a Xonar DG and use Sennheiser HD558s.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's not a headphone amp mate it's a pre amp. It sits in front of a power amp between your source and the power amp to give you control over the volume.

Ljs likes this.
  3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Ahhh... Told you I didn't know much about it all!

4. Vault-Tec

Be a bit careful. I build valve amps as a hobby and I can tell you that on valve power alone? you need either huge big fat ones or multiple to even come close to the ouput of a regular amp.

What you want really is a hybrid. Something like this would be a good entry level.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Dot..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=DX8H8C0CEBJ9MDZWCTXS

I've had one of those and it has plenty of power to drive even the most stubborn of cans.

5. Ljs

Ljs Modder

6. Vault-Tec

No that looks like an amp. It uses 6J9 valves, not 6J1. However, it will be puny. Feel free to give it a try by all means I just hope you don't like loud music. You can always use it later as a pre amp, so long as you keep the volume down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aune-T1-Mk...e=UTF8&qid=1539257853&sr=1-1&keywords=aune+t1

I have one of those you can have for £60 inc. It's not as good as the Little Dot, but is at least hybrid and does sound nice.

Note mine is the MK2, not the SE (so doesn't do 192khz).