1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ Venom Mod - Corsair Spec Omega

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dietec, 8 Sep 2018.

1. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

This mod is sponsored by Corsair and MSI! They wanted me to do a Venom mod in honor of the new movie coming out in October, so here's how it's going! This guy is due October 1st so I've only got about three weeks to do what I can.

Planning on doing a decent amount of sculpting with the help of my wife, she's an awesome clay artist. I'm going to cut a hole in the front panel of the case, and then we'll have a sculpt of Venoms face and hand coming out of it. We'll also probably make some watery tentacles coming out of the front panel hole too, just cause he's a watery weird creature when he's not possessing someone.

I also want to CNC the word "Venom" into the side panel and maybe have it light up. After that, I'll do more stuff depending on how much time is left but those mods are the priority :)

The stuff I've received so far!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Update: It was due October 1st. Buuut, Some of the parts I was supposed to get won't even arrive until October 3rd so we've got more time!

Last edited: 2 Oct 2018
  2. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Cut out a hole in the front panel with my dremel and cleaned it up with a scroll saw and files. Can't make it any bigger because there are clips behind there holding the panel together that I don't want to disturb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also got started on making the hand! I cast my wifes hand with that cheap casting stone/silicone mold you can get on Amazon. It's pretty brittle so I'm going to cover the entire thing in epoxy clay to give it some strength, but it looks amazing already! Just need to make the finger tips a bit pointier
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Cut out the side panel with the CNC, turned out great! It's a little scratched but I plan to sand this whole panel down anyway so no biggy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I'm in the middle of covering the hand in epoxy clay. Gives it a lot more strength, these fingers aren't going to break off any more after this. (three of the fingers broke off already - super glue and epoxy clay fixed them though)
    [​IMG]

Defyant Mods and kim like this.
  4. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Started building a foam skull for the head, it'll be covered in clay at some point. Doesn't have to be pretty :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also cut a piece of acrylic and painted one side white to sit behind the venom side panel. The paint is also covered in vinyl so nothing will scratch it when the PC is built. Hopefully I can get some side emitting LEDs somewhere to light it up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My attempt to have tentacles coming out of the word. They're supposed to look kind of liquid-ish. I'm thinking I might add more too, depending on if I have extra clay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

The first hardware mod! Swapping out the black tubes on the AIO with clear ones, and painting the pump all black. I think the clear tubes will help catch the light from the RGB goodness better than the black ones would have. Also thinking about making a tutorial on how to do this! We'll see. I know there are resources already out there. Used Mayhems black coolant mixed with distilled water to refill it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

My wife started covering the face with epoxy clay, the eyes are made out of bent acrylic. My idea was to light them up so they had to be translucent. She sculpted this entire head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here he is all painted! And the eyes do indeed light up too! They just plug into a SATA power plug from the PSU :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also added some clear epoxy all over his teeth mouth and tongue to look like drool. It's subtle, but awesome looking. Makes everything shiny too
    [​IMG]

neSSa, Dot_Kappa and kim like this.
  7. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

WOW man JUST WOW seriously sexy ass stuff there m8 you have really gone to the next level with this style of modding :thumb:

It's gonna give kids nightmares and I love it :rock::rock:

Dietec likes this.
  8. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Thanks man, yeah I'm pretty happy with this. I should recruit the wife to help me more often huh

I'm still planning on making that acrylic bending tool at some point too! Just prioritizing this modding stuff :p

Defyant Mods likes this.
  9. kim

kim hardware addict

:jawdrop: awesome... and freaky :grin:

Dietec likes this.
  10. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

More updates on this mod first i say :) bendy stuff laterz !

Dietec likes this.
  11. Lonherz

Lonherz Minimodder

I really like how it seems that Venom is coming out the case, the effect of the hand is great!!! :cooldude:

Dietec likes this.
  12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That tongue nearly made me hit the report button.

Dietec likes this.
  13. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

I decided to paint all the PC parts black, I'm not sure if this acrylic conformal coating is totally necessary because the paint I used is non conductive but I used it anyway! Better safe than sorry.

Bill Owen sent me this stuff! Actually MSI was supposed to send it to me but they sent it to him instead, and he sent it to me. Ended up at my place super late but I assume he did touch the box so... I can now say this mod was blessed by Bill Owen. Worth it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Applied a glossy clear coat over this entire fella, and now he's super shiny! I like it :)
    [​IMG]

14. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Def looks better shiny :thumb: and the black board will be a nice touch :) i Still have a few mods from the old days off Bill ! No one has given as much to this community as Bill... When i vision the Great modders Hall of Fame i see Bill sitting on the throne right at the very end with all of us as an honour guard.:rock:

Dietec and kim like this.
  15. AML_customs_pc

AML_customs_pc Minimodder

Great build, love how you have him coming out the front of the case.

Dietec likes this.
  16. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I need my fix :D

Dietec likes this.
  17. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Here's the finished painted motherboard, and the painted GPU as well. Turned out super nice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then after having everything modded, I built the computer. And it's glorious.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it! All finished. Just have to figure out a way to send it off in the mail now :p

Big thanks to my wife for helping me with this mod, and to Corsair and MSI for letting me mess around with their hardware!

Last edited: 13 Oct 2018
  18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Customs opens the crate, the inspector jumps 6 feet in the air and empties his gun into the package. :lol:
    The motherboard looks like you need to mod more to unlock it.

Defyant Mods and Dietec like this.
  19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

That mouth and tongue are totally grose! and i mean it a awsome kinda way :rock::rock::rock: The teeth..... omfg! you really have mastered this type of modding :dremel:

Dietec likes this.
  20. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Got a side emitting LED strip from v1tech and added it to the side panel. Now the venom word lights up! And it's controlled by the corsair software, just like everything else. So cool
    [​IMG]

The video mod log is coming in the next few hours I hope... Will be posting that too

Defyant Mods and maxlxyd like this.